Accordman

Sundown vs RF testing

sundown rockin out with its cox out

so.. an amp rated at 1000watts, vs an amp rated at 1500.. yeah, pretty fair test:rolleyes: lemme guess, the sundowns were louder? i personally run zenon amps.. great amps, i previously had rf's.. both great amps, worthless test, though. anyone can see that:)

Guest zedman
so.. an amp rated at 1000watts, vs an amp rated at 1500.. yeah, pretty fair test:rolleyes: lemme guess, the sundowns were louder? i personally run zenon amps.. great amps, i previously had rf's.. both great amps, worthless test, though. anyone can see that:)

Sundown

SPECIFICATIONS:

* Type Mono Class-D

* 1500 watts x 1 1 ohm

* 800 watts x 1 2 ohms

* 400 watts x 1 4 ohms

Rockford

Rated Power continuous power

500W x 1 @ 4-Ohms

750W x 1 @ 2-Ohms

1000W x 1 @ 1-Ohm

From Where I am sitting the Sundown looks like a way better amo which is actually rated 100 watts less than the Rockford. I know all the Rockford disciples will disagree however we could always compare old school power cheater amps with the new stuff then and see who will win then. My whole point is if it doesn't look best for Rockford than it is BS. Grow up and accept there will always be something out there better than what you have. Just my 2 Cents worth. Have an awesome night. Z

Sundown

SPECIFICATIONS:

* Type Mono Class-D

* 1500 watts x 1 1 ohm

* 800 watts x 1 2 ohms

* 400 watts x 1 4 ohms

Rockford

Rated Power continuous power

500W x 1 @ 4-Ohms

750W x 1 @ 2-Ohms

1000W x 1 @ 1-Ohm

From Where I am sitting the Sundown looks like a way better amo which is actually rated 100 watts less than the Rockford. I know all the Rockford disciples will disagree however we could always compare old school power cheater amps with the new stuff then and see who will win then. My whole point is if it doesn't look best for Rockford than it is BS. Grow up and accept there will always be something out there better than what you have. Just my 2 Cents worth. Have an awesome night. Z

huh? not real sure where you are going with this? i RUN zenon amps right now (zenon makes sundown..).. great amps:) however.. the test is more than biased.. the sundown is rated at 500 watts MORE than the rf.. don't try and convolute the facts.. cheater amps have nothing to do with this test, do they? and actually.. 100 watts at 4 ohms difference, 50 watts at 2, and the sundown edges out the rf by 500 watts at 1 ohm. not a fair test.. all there is too it:)

have an awesome night. C

Thread on the SMD forum is quickly growing with many good points....

Both solid amps in my opinion...

I work with both...

I like the comparison since the RF is more then a 1500D (prices from AUTHORIZED dealers).....

the peopel over there whom are against my side pretty much have the same point as visitor does,

My thoughts over there were, that everyone over there brags about thier birthsheets of thier RF's doing 1500ish RMS , then a test like this is done and they are the first ones to yell out that its a 1k rms amp.

the first test not linked showed that same T1k consuming more power then a single sundown 1500d, so my thoughts are w/e i dont want a 1k RMS (rated) amp that consumes the same power as somethign thats clearly more powerful.

Guest zedman
huh? not real sure where you are going with this? i RUN zenon amps right now (zenon makes sundown..).. great amps:) however.. the test is more than biased.. the sundown is rated at 500 watts MORE than the rf.. don't try and convolute the facts.. cheater amps have nothing to do with this test, do they? and actually.. 100 watts at 4 ohms difference, 50 watts at 2, and the sundown edges out the rf by 500 watts at 1 ohm. not a fair test.. all there is too it:)

have an awesome night. C

If you look at advertised ratings yes it looks like the sundown is a way better amp for less money. Companies used to rate their amps at 12volts and 4 ohms. with this being said if the Rockford was even close to the quality of sundown it too would produce double watts into each respective ohm. which it does not do it only doubles from 4 ohms to 1 ohm. the sundown however increases substantially from 400 watts at 4 ohms to 150 watts at 1 ohm that is more than triple the power. I have seen many many many people who use Rockford that claim their amps birth certificate claims 1500 watts and the sundown results have been around 1700 watts. with all of these factors the amps should be considered equal since there would not be significant difference in sound when it comes to this small percentage of power difference. This is the reason the comparison is comparable and fair. it comes down to exactly what I said before the Rockford disciples will never admit their product got its ass kicked by an overseas made amp that costs less money and is comparable specs. this conclusion leaves out the fact the Rockford is way more money for less power and in light of this comparison less performance. Now I really hope you have an awesome night. Z

the amps were an even match power draw wise and power out put wise

only difference I saw was you can not run an RF amp under 1ohm...

and the RF amps started to falter after repeated use...

hence NOT an amp i would want in a Competition...

RF Sucks.... the failure rate is off the chart in the audio shop i help out @ in Garland Tx... they dropped RF amps because they cant last a week without popping & Hissssing :peepwall:

and now that i think about it there subs don't move me either

Edited by Lord Baccus

Here is the link to the first test. A single Sundown 1500d against a Single RF T10001bd @ 1ohm each.

http://www.*****.com/board/ind...showtopic=14472

I consider these amps to be equal because they're actual output is near identical and they're amperage rating is near identical. Our first test showed the amps to perform almost identical except the Rockford pulled more power to do so. To me this clearly shows that the 1500s have a higher efficiency. This efficiency became even more apparent in the second "low power" test with a pair of amps. The Sundowns held consistent with more ouput even though they had dips into the 10v range. On the other hand, the Rockford's power output fell quickly under these low power circumstance. Everyone is wanting this test redone with adequate power which will happen. I'm already predicting that while the Rockfords will perform better with adequate power, the Sundowns will do exponentially better with their higher efficiency.

yea the arguement over there that there wasnt enough power for the RF when it was on the same system as the sundown is rather hilarious

as far as "sundown amps made overseas" correct me if I'M wrong, most if not all of the RF's components are made in china or korea. Some of the components in Ligthning Audio are the same components in RF amps and those amps are clearly made overseas. RF reminds me of the guy that talks alot of shizit about the size of his D and then goes in the stall to take a pi$$ scared some one might see his inchworm.

the peopel over there whom are against my side pretty much have the same point as visitor does,

My thoughts over there were, that everyone over there brags about thier birthsheets of thier RF's doing 1500ish RMS , then a test like this is done and they are the first ones to yell out that its a 1k rms amp.

the first test not linked showed that same T1k consuming more power then a single sundown 1500d, so my thoughts are w/e i dont want a 1k RMS (rated) amp that consumes the same power as somethign thats clearly more powerful.

this is the very set of points they are all missing over there. Derrick has made it very clear the "1000" watt RF amps draws as much (well more) amperage with a similiar fuse rating as the Sundown. that tells me the rf (especially with all the 1480+ birthsheets out there) is actually a 1500wrms amp badged as a 1000 for marketing purposes, as well as the wow factor. IMO, form the reading i've done, that's a better well done h2h test. and the rf fanboys can just sit and spin on their overpriced flame throwers.

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

Those guys are getting a bit carried away over on SMD... what can one take away from the test?

Well... the 1500D is more efficient -- that seems pretty simple.

Upgrade the charging system to get the most of the RF amp? Well, now your cost to get the same power has increased even more.

So what is the right conclusions? SAZ-1500D is more power for the money. Thats pretty simple. RF makes a quality amp, but not necessarily the most for you dollar in all applications.

I think there missing the point that if you upgrade the charging system for the rf the sundown will get more powerful AS WELL. clamp the amps and let em' hang, screw the DB Meters .

Guest zedman

90 accordman is so f ing funny I was laughing while reading the debate over at the "other" website and I think someone almost picked up their ball and left. Thats it have an awesome day. Z

lol thanks i think lol, i'm not really one to stray away form something especially when im pretty much over there all the time and have to hear the biased RF/Fi crap constantly, so when anyone decided to discredit the company that i represent, i wasnt going to sit there and basically let it ride.

Also i didnt sling crap, i backed up what i had to say, so that i wouldnt have 50 fanboys trying to discredit each post i made. Thanks to those of you who did see my points in the arguement/debate though.

90 accordman is so f ing funny I was laughing while reading the debate over at the "other" website and I think someone almost picked up their ball and left. Thats it have an awesome day. Z

nice another exploder owner, i got a 97

See ur not even looking @ the whole picture. Basically if u were paying attention u would have seen the fact that a 1000watt rms Rockford amp pulls more current than a 1500watt rms Sundown amp. Meaning a u get more watts with less current draw with the Sundown. Like having a V12 engine that has 4cyl gas mileage.

Like having a V12 engine that has 4cyl gas mileage.

Better Analogy:

Its like have a RF made V8 Engine and a Sundown Made V8 Engine. Both engines make 350 HP but the Sundown V8 gets better gas mileage.

So the last post there....

how about two rf with extra batteries and two sundowns without batteries. Just to see whats what...

are people really this stupid?

So the last post there....
How about two rf with extra batteries and two sundowns without batteries. Just to see whats what...

Are people really this stupid?

Yes.

That had to be the most hilarious thread I have ever seen, I remember having a punch 40 and the damn thing putting out close to 220 watts, but it was rated at 40! then you put it up agains an amp similar to it and want to go back to the badge (40 watts) I wonder how this thing turned out????