Sign in to follow this  
Duke

Box build for my Havoc 18s.

Keep any negative comments out please, unless they are constructive negative comments that might help me improve in future projects. I'd really appreciate that, thanks guys. Its a variation of a transmission line enclosure, designed to have alot better low end response than the big huge, low tuned ported box I had before. Don't bother trying to model it as a ported enclosure, because that is not what it is, and asking for Term Lab dash numbers is also pointless since this is a musical (TO THE EAR) box, and not designed to play loud on a PRESSURE sensor on the dashboard. I'll post response graphs once the other half is built and everything is installed. This is one half of the box and the gallon jug of green tea is in there so you can get an idea of the size of this thing. I still need to cut the sub hole, and fill/sand any screw holes. Haven't even started on the second half yet. Once again, its for a pair of these subs. Hope you like. Between this, building my amp rack/battery holder, building an ABC home theater tower, and designing an 8 foot grand piano skid, and also working two jobs... I've been quite busy... and sleepy. Enjoy.

P2150002.jpg

P2150004.jpg

P2150006.jpg

w1.jpg

w6.jpg

w8.jpg

w10.jpg

Lots of holes.

w11.jpg

w13.jpg

w14.jpg

w15.jpg

w16.jpg

w17.jpg

that sub looks like sex

That is a really fantastic looking enclosure. How did you calculate the parameters ie: lenth / width / height of the lines of the TL? This is a bold move on your part, TL enclosures are alot more difficult to design and build than a simple sealed or ported enclosure! Looking forward to hearing your impressions on the sound.

That is a really fantastic looking enclosure. How did you calculate the parameters ie: lenth / width / height of the lines of the TL? This is a bold move on your part, TL enclosures are alot more difficult to design and build than a simple sealed or ported enclosure! Looking forward to hearing your impressions on the sound.

www.hexibase.com

Pete designed the box

sub looks sexyyy =)... box looks nice.. and heavy!

Yeah dude, this one side of the box is already ungodly heavy (way over 100 pounds). I was supposed to go router bit shopping today, but slept.

As stated by someone else, I didn't design it. I am, however, absolutely sick and tired of traditional ported boxes and their lame frequency response. People always say something like "just put it in blah cubes, and tune it to blah hz for a nice smooth response".... well, that IS NOT the case most of the time. Although ported boxes do get quite loud, and sound "ok" sometimes... they do not at all turn out like people say they will just because they plotted them in some crappy box graphing program that only plots the graphs in an infinite environment, and not in a small cabin like a CAR, and can't possibly factor in all the different wavelength phases, and different shapes/obstacles in the way. Also, people are just too ignorant to the fact that there are other types of enclosures out there other than ported and sealed, and those other types of enclosures DO WORK if designed correctly.

As stated by someone else, I didn't design it. I am, however, absolutely sick and tired of traditional ported boxes and their lame frequency response. People always say something like "just put it in blah cubes, and tune it to blah hz for a nice smooth response".... well, that IS NOT the case most of the time. Although ported boxes do get quite loud, and sound "ok" sometimes... they do not at all turn out like people say they will just because they plotted them in some crappy box graphing program that only plots the graphs in an infinite environment, and not in a small cabin like a CAR, and can't possibly factor in all the different wavelength phases, and different shapes/obstacles in the way. Also, people are just too ignorant to the fact that there are other types of enclosures out there other than ported and sealed, and those other types of enclosures DO WORK if designed correctly.

I love transmission line enclosures. All of my HT speakers are PMC, who are famous for their TL enclosure designs.

I'm still in the "decision making" process regarding building enclusures for my Avalanche 15's, (for HT)and had pretty much settled on sealed or simple ported. if theres anywhere to get info on a TL design for Ascendant subwoofers tho, maybe I'll think again!

I love transmission line enclosures. All of my HT speakers are PMC, who are famous for their TL enclosure designs.

I'm still in the "decision making" process regarding building enclusures for my Avalanche 15's, (for HT)and had pretty much settled on sealed or simple ported. if theres anywhere to get info on a TL design for Ascendant subwoofers tho, maybe I'll think again!

Sweet. You should definitely do something awesome for those subs. There are tons of websites that have good info. Just remember, your room is a major factor. Using the right woofer/port loading, port mass to room mass ratio, the woofer location in relation to the main listening location. I have an Avalanche 12 I plan on using for HT duty once I get a bit more money. I recently sold my Avalanche 18s, those would have been pretty awesome, but I don't have the space for an enclosure for even one of them.

Duke, I dont suppose that you're going to make it to SBN this year huh? If so, I would love to hear that setup of yours, I've been thinking about going ported on mine, but I dont want to lose the awesome transient response I have right now.

looks excellent. wish I could get to hear that someday. good luck, don't forget the vids for www.teamssaudio.com

looks excellent. wish I could get to hear that someday. good luck, don't forget the vids for www.teamssaudio.com

Will do guys, videos, more pics and response graphs soon to come.

What is SBN and where is it? Lawl.

SBN = Spring Break Nationals held in Florida

SBN = Spring Break Nationals held in Florida

Ah. I'm in Illinois. I most likely couldn't get enough time off work to go. 2 jobs FTL. I do plan on attending some comps around Illinois though. I don't really think this system is going to hit high on the meter, but its going to sound very nice at loud volume levels, and thats what its all about right now for me. :)

Well, FWIW I hit 138.7 with 1 18 havoc sealed in an suv with a saz-1500d. I would imagine you would be quite a bit louder.

Well, FWIW I hit 138.7 with 1 18 havoc sealed in an suv with a saz-1500d. I would imagine you would be quite a bit louder.

This system isn't aimed at being loud on the meter at all. With around 4.5k watts on tap for the pair, I'm sure it would get quite loud on the meter anyways. This is all about low end at my listening area.

:)

:)

Box number 2 almost done. Did some math and came out with 291 pounds for the final product, WITHOUT the woofers in. The entire system, batts, amps, amp rack, subs/box will weigh just under 600 pounds. I'm upgrading my suspension first.

w18.jpg

Yikes.

Sign in to follow this