SpeakerBoy

woofers that really HIT

hiya people i am looking for an 8" woofer that will go into the box of the woofer that came with the samsung HT-Q80 surround system. something that hits, that makes people say 'Damn!! it's only an 8"!!' lookin at a JL because i am not really aquainted with home audio, leaning towards car audio as a career in fact....but if you know bttr, higher excursion, lower ohm-ed 8" woofers that will really put out, gimme a heads up....thanks

here is the woofer w/ system. btw, at least 200w rms please and thank you!!

http://shopper.cnet.com/home-theater-syste...ml?tag=srch_1_1

7"W x 16"H x 13-3/8"D

Edited by DeepSubBoy

Are you wanting to just replace the 8" that's in the bass module or start a real sub from scratch? Just replacing, you will NEVER get a 'Damn!! it's only an 8"!!' comment. And depending on your room size, you may not even get that if you built an 8" sub from scratch. I hang out mostly at the home theater forums and the guys in the DIY section very seldom use 10's. It's mostly 12's, 15's and 18's for DIY subs.

Subs don't "hit" unless you are very very close to the cone. Subs play.

fing05.gif

So what I gathered from your post is that you would like to replace the current woofer from your HTIB with something that is louder, but still use the same enclosure?

You would have a lot easier time getting what you want if you could tell us your room size and budget. Also, a house sub stage is not as easy to get as loud as a car.

You would get better output and sound quality with a custom enclosure for a new subwoofer....then just wire it up to the amp. Make sure the load is safe

Yeah, you should just use the amp that is in the current box and hook it to a new box for a new 12 that will run on 200rms.... And port it too if you are just looking for louder.... Also, where did you get 200rms from? The specs on that say the subwoofer has 160 watts at 3 ohms and im betting that isnt rms or at least a little over rated....

Edited by Jpm4536

You aren't going to be able to do what you ask. You should really just describe your goals and budget and let us push you in the right direction.

Yeah, you should just use the amp that is in the current box and hook it to a new box for a new 12 that will run on 200rms.... And port it too if you are just looking for louder.... Also, where did you get 200rms from? The specs on that say the subwoofer has 160 watts at 3 ohms and im betting that isnt rms or at least a little over rated....

well, i have the manual sitting on my desk now, and it says 320w peak....but i am leaning towards the assumption that 160 is pretty high for its rms, having heard it bump

You aren't going to be able to do what you ask. You should really just describe your goals and budget and let us push you in the right direction.

budget of about hmm...200$ to start at least. an i really have to use same enclosure, or at least get a cube with a silver port and black laminate finish or parents would kill me....it's theirs really...

I like the idea of building something new, that way when you decide to upgrade the rest from an HTIB it'll be easy to integrate.

fing05.gif

So what I gathered from your post is that you would like to replace the current woofer from your HTIB with something that is louder, but still use the same enclosure?

You would have a lot easier time getting what you want if you could tell us your room size and budget. Also, a house sub stage is not as easy to get as loud as a car.

i dont have the Blueprints, but it is about 20x15

plus, this thing is beastly already i just want to throw a Snitchin house party with it lol

NO 8" sub is going to be "that" impressive in a HT, unless it's in a closet. It takes a lot of air to pressurize a big room.

I'm up near Six Flags if you want to hear what "damn" sounds like in a HT. I also build HT/car subs, so if you give me a budget I can give you some ideas. Silver port in a black box is not a problem...

NO 8" sub is going to be "that" impressive in a HT, unless it's in a closet. It takes a lot of air to pressurize a big room.

I'm up near Six Flags if you want to hear what "damn" sounds like in a HT. I also build HT/car subs, so if you give me a budget I can give you some ideas. Silver port in a black box is not a problem...

sweet. i will see if my bro and I can swing by, he is big into car audio ( five 12's, (3 memphis, 2 crossfire)) , plus he is lookin for a box for 4 JL's, 12 or maybe 13.5's :lickscreen:

i also think i should mention, i prefer passive's to ports...

Edited by DeepSubBoy

You prefer passives to ports? What the hell does that mean? And doesn't your brother know it isn't good to mix different kinds of subs?

Mixing subs is a terrible idea :( :( :(

You really, really, really should NOT use that box. You need a new one that is very specifically matched to your sub.

You prefer passives to ports? What the hell does that mean? And doesn't your brother know it isn't good to mix different kinds of subs?

i am guessing passive radiators

oh yeah, i'll be third to say mixing subs is bad

Edited by todd.brust