Sign in to follow this  
SpeakerBoy

MJ-18's

I am soon to happen upon $500. i decided to buy two Mj-18's and two of these: http://www.millionbuy.com/boscx2000m.html

now my only problem is i dont know jack about boxes, i need some ideas. now, the only thing i ask is nothin higher than 28Hz. it is going in my room, which is medium sized, about 20x20. i also happen to have an Spl vice, which is why i am buyin a Boss amp(almost no SQ, i know) :(

Edited by DeepSubBoy

its going in your room? for music or movies?

and dont buy those amps..first of all theyre car amps. second of all theyre from BOSS.

go to partsexpress.com and look at bash or dayton plate amps.

Edited by MagnoliaBass

Those amps are an absolute No especially if they are for home audio use, since they won't work. The problem isn't the "there is no SQ" a watt is pretty much a watt, the problem with BOSS is their build quality is sub par and they do not put out rated power

You are going to have expect to pay for power. There is some good used stuff on the internet but it still cost.

How much room can you give up and where are you placing the boxes?

and dont buy those amps..first of all theyre car amps. second of all theyre from BOSS.

it is for music, test tones, and just straight to ridiculous BASS lol.i was thinkin the boss amps, cuz i could get alot more power out of em and they are el cheapo.

Those amps are an absolute No especially if they are for home audio use, since they won't work. The problem isn't the "there is no SQ" a watt is pretty much a watt, the problem with BOSS is their build quality is sub par and they do not put out rated power

You are going to have expect to pay for power. There is some good used stuff on the internet but it still cost.

How much room can you give up and where are you placing the boxes?

hell, 7 cubes a chamber isnt really a stretch 10 is pushin it

it is going in my room

Seal them in a box. Buy an amp from Parts Express that is ment for home use.

Stop being retarded.

it is for music, test tones, and just straight to ridiculous BASS lol.i was thinkin the boss amps, cuz i could get alot more power out of em and they are el cheapo.

lol...you won't be getting a lot of power from those amps...at all. No where near rated. Please take those numbers with a grain of salt.

Stop being retarded.

well, that last comment kind of stung....i was only doing car amps for the amout of power they put out double with the fact that it is now permanent in a house. 3 years from now, i am getting a ford contour. ('99)

lol...you won't be getting a lot of power from those amps...at all. No where near rated. Please take those numbers with a grain of salt.

hell yes a heaping mound. i bought two 17$ pyramidd woofers.....NEVER AGAIN oops g2g to algebra meh... Edited by DeepSubBoy

Stop being retarded.

well, that last comment kind of stung....i was only doing car amps for the amout of power they put out double with the fact that it is now permanent in a house. 3 years from now, i am getting a ford contour. ('99)

Even if they did put out rated watts.. you'd need a hell of a big power supply to power them up. Its more economical to buy a home amp.

wow 2 18's for that tiny room? if done with a correct box that will be insane. first though you need some real power, forget boss amps they suck. second get a amp thats meant for home audio will be so much better in the long run. third how much space do you have to give up? 2 18's will need a huge box. fourth is this just for movies or will it be for music? i see you don't want to tune lower than 28hz? i'd highly recomend going lower for use with movies.

Stop being retarded.

Even if they did put out rated watts.. you'd need a hell of a big power supply to power them up. Its more economical to buy a home amp.

Not sure that you could buy that power supply with the budget of $500 more or less leave room for anything else.

Those amps aren't even good paperweights and you really can't use them at home.

I second the retarded comment, you have been told to list what you want to accomplish and your budget. So far after 15 topics we have your budget. If you just do what we ask you will get help otherwise you will get bashed and end up with some crap that doesn't work at all together :(

Mark you are so constructive. I like your idea though, that would really rock with a pair of MJ's.

wow 2 18's for that tiny room? if done with a correct box that will be insane. first though you need some real power, forget boss amps they suck. second get a amp thats meant for home audio will be so much better in the long run. third how much space do you have to give up? 2 18's will need a huge box. fourth is this just for movies or will it be for music? i see you don't want to tune lower than 28hz? i'd highly recomend going lower for use with movies.

oh lol you misread, i don't want to go Higher than 28Hz i love deep bass...lol the lower the better. it is 99.99% for music rap, a little metal, and of coursae to impress my neighbors, test tones like i said, 7 to 10 cubes a chamber is not giving up alot of my room. i dont mind losing it to this beast ^.^

You'll need a digital crossover if you don't want to go higher than 28hz.

But let me be the first to tell you, playing 28hz and below only... is going to sound like complete ass.

so what he's saying is he wants a sub to have a sub with 8 hz of audible bandwidth?

Am i confused or completely misreading this?

As somebody who was young and made some mistakes, let me tell you this:

If you're going to listen to music 95% of the time, tune your system to work well for music.

I'd say 5.5-7cf tuned to 27-31hz.

If you're going to listen to movies 95% of the time, tune your system to work well for movies.

7-10cf tuned to 20-25hz.

TONS of port area on either setup; minimum 50 sqinches IMO.

Don't bother with giving a single MJ18 more than 500 watts RMS either, you won't get anymore SPL out of them.

Oh yeah, dont even THINK about using a car amp at home; you won't be able to afford the DC power supply you need to run them.

You will need a crossover as well, unless you're plugging your future amplifier into an existing receiver that has a sub output.

Finally, the Behringer EP amps are great units for what you want to do.

You'll need a digital crossover if you don't want to go higher than 28hz.

But let me be the first to tell you, playing 28hz and below only... is going to sound like complete ass.

no no no.... i dont want to tune higher than 28....i am too vague eh?

well....i was lookin at the plate amps you guys suggested and the 700x2 looks the best only question is can i parallel the woofers at 2ohms? i would love to get as much as i can out of them (700 to each that way) instead of 500 each. i have one itsy bitsy problem though. i have $20 for enclosure after woofers and amp. any suggestions? i know for a fact nothing will be prefab for 18's but i need sumthin til i can get the money for the wood. :Doh: btw, is 1" mdf overkill? i just want to know because it is expensive (for me at least...)

Stick with 3/4", you'll be fine.

thanks was worried about my cash supply...

For the love of all things peaceful and quiet get headphones...