tejcurrent

Electrically supporting 16,000+rms

I have talked to Dom Iraggi and I know for sure I am getting his 4 alt bracket. I've had multiple people who I trusted tell me to run at least one 200a or smaller alternator in order to support my normal car functions. After talking to Dominick Iraggi he told me to get 4 260amp alternators, that they would supply me with the most power for my daily driving setup, since they have great idling amperage and I would never see full power without reving the engine (which I wouldn't do).

I know plenty of guys on here run 300a alts and bigger, so thats where my conflict comes in there. I want to make sure I'm giving my amps as much power as possible, and I'm willing to go as small or big as I need to.

I just got off the phone with someone at powermaster, and they said that my best option would be 4 of their 200a alternators w/ adjustable internal voltage regulators, where I could turn the voltage up to 15.0 and just leave it there safely- and that again with a larger alternator it would take high rpms to really take advantage of the higher output.

I've also had people tell me that I should go with powermaster over Iraggi, and that the 220 amp powermaster alternators would put out more power than Iraggis 260 amp alternators because of ratings. The way it was explained to me the Iraggis were rated peak while the powermaster were the actual output? This doesn't seem right but I honestly don't know.

So for question #1, would 260amp alternators definitely be my best compromise?

And question #2, would Iraggi alternators put out more power than powermaster, or vice versa?

Anyone with any experience at all please chime in because I hope to be buying them really soon.

And for the last part of my question, I'm currently running 5 optima yellowtops for the simple reason that they are the best batteries available in my area. I've found a few places that I'm willing to buy from online, and even driving a few hours away to pick up from.

My biggest worry- while I know dropping down to 12v hurts your score, is that if I go lower than that I'll damage my amps. I pray the alternators alone will be enough to keep my voltage above 12v on full tilt, if they can't what other batteries could anyone recommend?

And question #3, would different batteries really make all the difference?

Thanks a lot, I simply don't have a lot of experience in this area and can use all the advice I can get.

I am not sure on how the companies rate their products, but it seems one is suggesting you run the non-audio electrical parts of the stock unit, and run the audio separate of the vehicle electronics, while the other is saying run 4 of high output. I think it is a position of do you need or feel you need the current of 4 non-dedicated high output alts, or 3 dedicated high output alts?

As for batteries, powermaster seem to be doing well, deka's are good per dollar. I have had good luck with SVR's, but I am not sure what is available on the islands. But I don't think swapping out batteries with out increasing the number of them will make that much of a difference.

Wouldn't give Dom the time of day. He can build good stuff if he wants, and then 93% of the other time it's junk...then when you call him out on it he runs and hides. Been there and done that with that cat, i'd highly not recommend him.

Love Powermaster's products, top notch alts and batteries, can't say enough good things about them.

i would say powermaster im running 3 saz-3000d on 7 kenetics (5) 2100 rear and (2) 1800 upfront and 1 powermaster alt (set at 15 volts) and at full tilt voltage goes from 14.7 to 13.8 and starts to slide down to 12.9 (and sits there) after a few min. never played at full tilt longer then mybe 5-10 mins. at most ...hope that helps any.......

i would say powermaster im running 3 saz-3000d on 7 kenetics (5) 2100 rear and (2) 1800 upfront and 1 powermaster alt (set at 15 volts) and at full tilt voltage goes from 14.7 to 13.8 and starts to slide down to 12.9 (and sits there) after a few min. never played at full tilt longer then mybe 5-10 mins. at most ...hope that helps any.......

So it seems Powermaster is really favored over iraggi? I was leaning towards the 280s because of price (there would be about a $50 difference per alt), and from what I understand I'll get more idling amperage by quite a bit from the larger iraggis. The only variable would be the voltage, since with the powermasters I could turn it where I want it, and I'd be able to run a dedicated 16v system down the road if I wanted to w/out buying more alts. Like I said, I just don't know and no one can tell me for sure which would put out more power- 4 200a powermasters turned to 15v, or 3 Iraggi 280s and 1 220. I don't have room for a ton of batteries so it's pretty important to get the most I can, but I'm sure I'll be OK with either one. Thanks for all the help everyone.

Okay, let me try and rephrase my question:

Would I be better off with a higher idling amperage at a lower voltage (14.4volts) that would increase quite a bit at a higher rpm,

or would I be better off with a lower amperage alternator at a higher voltage (16v)?

Basically a 200a alternator at 16v, or a 280a alternator at 14.4v?

I will keep my stock alternator in place to prevent problems with the vehicle not getting enough idling amperage, and add 3 of whatever will power me the best.

Thanks guys, I hope I'm not being to vague to get specific answers, it's just a nice chunk of change to drop without talking to people who are more experienced first.

i heard some bad things about iraggi man..eiter go with power master or maybe try EA...

That's what people keep saying about iraggi. I just want whats going to be best for my charging system.

if you are close to Tennessee and want to drive to his shop(Iraggi), do it.

I am going to his shop sometime soon so he can mount my alt on my car since nobody else knows how to.

I was talkin to Ohio Gen about my car and they were sayin that they believe it's impossible to built an aftermarket alt for my car (scion tc) due to this "hairpin stator".

I talked to Iraggi about it, less then a month ago, and he was kinda laughin sayin that technology has been out since 2000 and has personally installed his alts on tCs without problems.

I've read about this negativity but not in real detail. I say if he really has gotten shady, there's no better way for me than to have him install it himself, to a test on the alt right there and get the lifetime warranty slapped on that baby.

It's expensive but it's the only route i can go.

ell if you can get it done in person and have a really good warranty then its up to you..but why chance when theres 2 really good manufactures whom there is nothing but praise..

From what I have heard knetics could be a diff battery you could look into. But please don't get iraggi alts. I have read/heard too much bad stuff. Not paticulary the product but customer service. He is not fun to work with...

i have to say, i tried calling iraggi a bunch of times to get work done on my alt. bearings went out in it, he answered once a while back, never again. i brought it to an alt place close to me to get it repaired. but sounds like the bearings are goin out again. its also a 200 amp and cant keep up with A/C and my 2 viair 380 compressors. drops to about 13.5 and thats above idle. compressors only pull 35 amps together. and i have 2 optima deep cycles, group 34 and group 31. maybe i should have gone with powermaster...

i have no choice though.

Not to completely change the topic but excessive, ohio gen, ho-alt, powermaster... all 4 of these companies either dont make em or dont know how to.

I have a newer car and only Iraggi has the brains to do it.

I have no problem with customer service since i'm so close to him, within 5 hrs away.

That's why i say if you are close like i am, shouldnt worry about it.

Now, if i were far away, i dont know what i'd be doin... prob turbo-ing the car.

I've asked around and no one seems to be able to tell me which setup I'd be better off with. I'm about to call memphis and see if the 4ks can handle a 16v setup on daily listening :glare: I thought about doing this a long time ago but ruled it out, but I don't want keep sending equipment into them- esp. for low voltage issues.

I'm chris from missinglinkaudio we have a module that will increase your voltage on stock or high current alts.I myself run duel alts on 20,000 total system watts (subs & highs) in our ascendant demo hummer.Before my voltage would drop around 11v with 12 -kinetic 2400 batteries.After development of our module I run duel alts at 16.2 volts and never drop below 14.2volts.Our module gives you a stronger charge a standered unit is set for 15.5volt will work great for up to for batteries with a single alt.Duel alt set ups at 15.5v set point would run 8 batteries.Lots of people are having voltage drops we now have the solution for GM/Ford.Resently steve meade added one to his 4 alt set up and never drops below 14.7 with all 4 alts charging at 15.3 to 15.5 (note our module does allow your alt to function normally when hot it will back off and , or when your batteries are full.We did not take away the safty feature due to newer car computers.Let me know we will help in any way we can.

Thanks from missinglinkaudio.

Edited by johnecon2001

iraggi is the only one and you live close by then go for it..since customer service will be done face to face and dont have to play cat and mouse with emails if anything were to happen then id give him a try..

By upping your voltage 1 full volt you can increase your charging power to your batteries for a stronger fuller charge and will give you longer playing time.Hope we can help (MLA)

By upping your voltage 1 full volt you can increase your charging power to your batteries for a stronger fuller charge and will give you longer playing time.Hope we can help (MLA)

hey bro instead of spamming your company in everyones thread why not get in contact with the admin here and maybe he can give your product its own section like everyone else

Okay, let me try and rephrase my question:

Would I be better off with a higher idling amperage at a lower voltage (14.4volts) that would increase quite a bit at a higher rpm,

or would I be better off with a lower amperage alternator at a higher voltage (16v)?

Basically a 200a alternator at 16v, or a 280a alternator at 14.4v?

I will keep my stock alternator in place to prevent problems with the vehicle not getting enough idling amperage, and add 3 of whatever will power me the best.

Thanks guys, I hope I'm not being to vague to get specific answers, it's just a nice chunk of change to drop without talking to people who are more experienced first.

By increasing your voltage your amperage will go up as well they kinda run hand in hand.If your wanting a 16volt system be advised you will need to charge at 18volt to maintain a 16.9 volt battery like kinetic ect...Unless you have a 12 plus battery bank 4 alts might be overkill I do fine with duel alts at 16volt module set point with 12 -kinetic 2400.My amps only see 15.1v of the 16v charge and do put out more power but have better power longer which helps the amps from clipping.

hey bro instead of spamming your company in everyones thread why not get in contact with the admin here and maybe he can give your product its own section like everyone else

He has a similar issue like I was having.Just letting him know there are solutions that alternators alone may not fix.I'm new and just trying to help cause no one had a awnser for mine and it sucked. Sorry you took it as spamming don't want to come off like that.Thanks MLA

Great thread.

My only issue is going 15V on componants in car that are prolly designed between 14 and 12.5 volts...........could 15 volts let some smoke out??

Just checking as I am unsire here

J