Sign in to follow this  
MKader17

Creatine

I just wanted to combine some posts of Chevy350TPI into one consilidated topic. Most of this information was found in the "New Workout, New Diet" thread but I figure it may not be found by the typical browser and it is very good information about creatine that should not be overlooked.

Creatine

The phosphagen system provides ATP. In the muscle, ATP is found near the myosin filament heads so it is readily available for the sliding filament theory cross-bridge step. Powerful and quick movement demands are taken care of by the phosphagen system. When you exercise, you do not deplete ATP in proportion to the requirement for that ATP - ATP hydrolysis produces ADP, inorganic phosphate and H+. These products react with creatine phosphate (CP) to re-form ATP. With a higher concentration of CP in the muscle (creatine supplementation), ATP can be provided more immediately versus having a lower concentration (Volek & Kraemer, 1996 and Volek, Kraemer, Bush, Boetes, Incledon, Clark, & Lynch, 1997).

Fox (2006) states that the renewal of ATP is so critically important that an athlete may decide to supplement with creatine monohydrate or another form of the product. Athletes supplementing with creatine monohydrate have shown increased intramuscular phosphocreatine levels ... 15%-40%. Furthermore, Fox states that this increase in PCr can improve muscle mass and lead to an increase in strength and subsequently performance.

In the near future we will see athletes who have been abusing (consuming 20g+ per day of monohydrate for extended periods of time, for example) come up in studies where this has ultimately led to liver and/or kidney damage. Moderation is key. 2-5g per day (well within the recommended dosage) should not be a problem for the vast majority of individuals. As always, we recommend visiting your physician or nutritionist to ensure you do not fit into a special population unable (or shouldn't) to supplement with the product.

Earnest, Snell, Rodriguez, Almada, & Mitchell (1995), Greenhaff, et al. (1997), Kreider, et al. (1998), and Maganaris & Maughn (1998) all found that supplementing with creatine monohydrate significantly boosts performance and intracellular concentrations of creatine phosphate. With their articles being published in the Journal of Applied Physiology and The Medical Journal of Sports Exercise, for example, their studies are not taken lightly and have been subject to (failing) scrutiny.

A typical individual will consume roughly a single gram of creatine per day. The body will synthesize creatine if roughly one gram is not ingested. Twenty grams per day has shown to increase total muscle creatine by approximately 20% (Birch, Nobel, & Greenhaff 1994). An increase of this magnitude can increase performance while exercising by 5% to 7% (Greenhaff, et al. 1997). Twenty grams of creatine is equivalent to roughly ten pounds of uncooked steak.

Not all individuals will benefit from creatine. Some people are just non-responders.

Of note should be that carbohydrate intake can dramatically increase muscle creatine uptake by more than 50% (Greenhaff & Casey 1997). Hultman and associates (1996), as well as Kreider and colleagues (1998), have demonstrated that the paralleled weight gain may or may not come from changes in hydration status.

Regarding the negative health effects ...

Studies have shown that 20g of creatine consumed for five consective days had zero effect on plasma creatine levels, blood pressure, renal function, or creatine kinase efficiency/activity. Furthermore, long-term creatine use has had no effect on a healthy individuals tubular reabsorption, glomerular filtration rate, and membrane permeability. Naturally, as aforementioned, problems can, and may very well would, arise should an individual with renal problems consume large amounts of monohydrate.

Another interesting note regarding creatine is that if you do supplement with it, you should cut caffeine out of your diet. Caffeine has been shown to negate any ergogenic effects that creatine supplementation can give you.

All in all, there are about 11 or 12 popular studies that have shown that supplementing with creatine monohydrate has no benefit. These studies do not give any reasons as to why this may be, nor have they been able to repeat the same study and achieve the same results.

All Credit and Kudos to Chevy350TPI

I will add more as time goes on. I have been so busy with work, but I promise I will get to some new stuff shortly.

Steve-0 no rush. :)

What does creatine do....... It makes your muscles "bigger".

Your heart is a muscle......

Think about it.

What is the effects of creatine on a runner? How much is ATP used/regenerated during endurance runs (3+) miles, shorter runs (1 mile) and even sprints... Would a track athlete notice positive affects taking creatine?

taking it before my 5 mile runs last summer seemed to help boost energy, as well as decrease recovery time.

but who knows, maybe just all in my head... :shrug:

What is the effects of creatine on a runner? How much is ATP used/regenerated during endurance runs (3+) miles, shorter runs (1 mile) and even sprints... Would a track athlete notice positive affects taking creatine?

If you were training for track I strongly, STRONGLY, recommend not taking this. I'm not sure exactly why, but this chit makes you cramp. If you are doing hard sprints and such, make sure you're taking in a lot of water through out the day.

Don't do it is all I gotta say

Why?

if you stay hydrated the chanes of cramping go down quite a bit. Everyone I know has sworn by it for all sports unless you're prown to water retension and in a weight restricted sport.

Started taking creatine/protein about 2 weeks ago (Protein and 5g Creatine before workout, and just protein afterwards) and I have notice immediate results. My muscles actually feel "ripped" now while working out. i can't say if I've noticed increased energy because I'm fairly energetic to begin with.

Also been running with it lately and have experienced no cramps what so ever. Drinking soda will provide you with much more cramps. All I drink is water, sweet tea, powerade, fruit juice, milk. Mostly water though

Started taking creatine/protein about 2 weeks ago (Protein and 5g Creatine before workout, and just protein afterwards) and I have notice immediate results. My muscles actually feel "ripped" now while working out. i can't say if I've noticed increased energy because I'm fairly energetic to begin with.

Also been running with it lately and have experienced no cramps what so ever. Drinking soda will provide you with much more cramps. All I drink is water, sweet tea, powerade, fruit juice, milk. Mostly water though

I would stay off the poweraid unless it's durring a workout and you're feeling woozey(you should maybe take a breather if you feel too stressed) or right after weight training. After resistance training is about the only time sugar is a great idea.

I would stay off the poweraid unless it's durring a workout and you're feeling woozey(you should maybe take a breather if you feel too stressed) or right after weight training. After resistance training is about the only time sugar is a great idea.

werd. Every now and then water from the tap at the Dining Hall doesn't sound that great so I reach for the powerade

i find it funny how workout newbies come up to me and tell me that they can bench 50 extra pounds on the bench press when on a creatine cycle. then i screw them up mentally by saying creatine is supposed to help you do like 1-2 extra reps on your last set and there`s no way creatine made him lift 50 extra pounds in a complete exercise. i think many people lack confidence when working out and are intimidated by their weights. creatine gives people that confidence to lift more because it`s such a taboo product that many people seem mix up as being a steroid.

Any update on the benifits of Creatine Steve? If not no biggie.

J

I'd like to hear more about this. I usually drink a 32 oz. bottle of gatorade after I play basketball. When I was in high school it was about all I'd drink other than milk and juice in the morning. But since I started college I've switched to drinking water at all times other than milk and juice in the morning, and gatorade on days I work out (usually just play basketball, some days I've lifted after I play).

I think I'm kind of a non-responder to a lot of things, though. I have never noticed increased energy after eating or drinking anything with sugar, and caffiene I think actually makes me tired.

That's a little off topic. I tried creatine during high school for a couple weeks, but I don't remember much about it or what it did for me. Then I started hearing bad things about it and quit. Last summer I just took whey protein after working out a few times a week and gained about 10 pounds in 2 months. That was excellent for me, as I had been trying to gain weight for years. Too bad the school year came around and the school's weight room got overcrowded (as usual) and I stopped going in. I loved feeling powerful.

Edited by KU40

been taking creatine for about 3 months now and lifting for the same and have gotten noticeably stronger.

all i can say tho is POUND WATER! gotta stay hydrated

wut creatine does is it gives u big burst of energy in a small amount of time for example wieight lifting.... i read that after diluting it with water creatine doesn't have the affect that it should have on u...

I'd like to hear more about this. I usually drink a 32 oz. bottle of gatorade after I play basketball. When I was in high school it was about all I'd drink other than milk and juice in the morning. But since I started college I've switched to drinking water at all times other than milk and juice in the morning, and gatorade on days I work out (usually just play basketball, some days I've lifted after I play).

I think I'm kind of a non-responder to a lot of things, though. I have never noticed increased energy after eating or drinking anything with sugar, and caffiene I think actually makes me tired.

That's a little off topic. I tried creatine during high school for a couple weeks, but I don't remember much about it or what it did for me. Then I started hearing bad things about it and quit. Last summer I just took whey protein after working out a few times a week and gained about 10 pounds in 2 months. That was excellent for me, as I had been trying to gain weight for years. Too bad the school year came around and the school's weight room got overcrowded (as usual) and I stopped going in. I loved feeling powerful.

I was only suggesting to stay off gator/poaide to MKa. He was trying to loose weight at the time, and sugar is probably the worst thing when trying to slim down. Those sports drinks are just fine for people who are not trying to min effort and max results, or who are performance oriented. For augmenting your body though when you have those drinks it's hard to watch the calories, and they are pretty empty. In wrestling, if we had one of the 4+ hour captains sessions, we would mis half gatoraide with half water. The sugar will help you perform and make the water hydrate a bit better, but it really has no nutritional value.

Your comment about the stimulant drinks making you sleepy sound just like me. That's ADHD at work my friend. lol

Your comment about the stimulant drinks making you sleepy sound just like me. That's ADHD at work my friend. lol

Is it really? haha. I've always thought I have an overactive mind. I get sleepy a lot and easily if I'm not doing anything actively. It's like my brain is either in hyperdrive or no drive, haha.

I was only suggesting to stay off gator/poaide to MKa. He was trying to loose weight at the time, and sugar is probably the worst thing when trying to slim down. Those sports drinks are just fine for people who are not trying to min effort and max results, or who are performance oriented. For augmenting your body though when you have those drinks it's hard to watch the calories, and they are pretty empty. In wrestling, if we had one of the 4+ hour captains sessions, we would mis half gatoraide with half water. The sugar will help you perform and make the water hydrate a bit better, but it really has no nutritional value.

Gatorade is probably 100% corn. I couldn't find any specific references, but I'd be inclined their sugar source is corn. It's also 100% synthetic beyond the water content.

Lemonade:

water,

sucrose syrup,

glucose-fructose syrup,

citric acid,

natural and artificial flavors,

salt,

sodium citrate,

monopotassium phosphate,

ester gum,

sucrose acetate isobutyrate,

yellow 5

There could be 5 or 50 additional ingredients in the "natural and artificial" flavors, you never know. All 100% synthetic, even the "natural" ones.

An excellent alternative is coconut water. You can buy it in Tera Packs at Target stores. It's potassium content dwarfs Gatoraide by 10 fold. It's made my Mother Nature, not some guy in a lab coat in a chemical factory.

Edited by FoxPro5

I think its funny how the people talking about how creatine is gods gift to man. Creatine is a shortcut. I personally think that anyone that has to take creatine to get in shape is a little baby back bitch. Not only that, creatine is incredibly bad for you, and even worse when you dont know anything about it.

So I'll be the bearer of bad news.

Creatine pumps water into your muscles to make them look bigger. When you look bigger, you have more confidence in yourself, and thats what many people lack, so they push themselves harder. That "ripped" feeling you feel is you working harder. Its not the creatine. Its you.

BUT.........

Where does the creatine get that water from?

If you dont drink enough water, creatine beats the chit out of your kidneys. I cant remember the names, but a few football players have died because they were working out for hours per day, playing in their football games, and drinking on the side. With that, it is SO hard to keep yourself hydrated. Youde have to have a backpack of water with you at all times, and drinking it constantly. So after the game their kidneys shut down, and they died.

And I know your thinking to yourself, "But it wont happen to me". I'm sure the people that died "didnt mean it".

Stop today, and work out naturally. If you cant, then stop trying to be somebody you're not and go back to micky d's and order your big mac

Edited by chad

:worthless:

I think its funny how the people talking about how creatine is gods gift to man. Creatine is a shortcut. I personally think that anyone that has to take creatine to get in shape is a little baby back bitch. Not only that, creatine is incredibly bad for you, and even worse when you dont know anything about it.

Creatine pumps water into your muscles to make them look bigger. When you look bigger, you have more confidence in yourself, and thats what many people lack, so they push themselves harder. That "ripped" feeling you feel is you working harder. Its not the creatine. Its you.

BUT.........

If you dont drink enough water, creatine beats the chit out of your kidneys. I cant remember the names, but a few football players have died because they were working out for hours per day, playing in their football games, and drinking on the side. With that, it is SO hard to keep yourself hydrated. Youde have to have a backpack of water with you at all times, and drinking it constantly. So after the game their kidneys shut down, and they died.

And I know your thinking to yourself, "But it wont happen to me". I'm sure the people that died "didnt mean it".

Stop today, and work out naturally. If you cant, then stop trying to be somebody you're not and go back to micky d's and order your big mac

Budy, you need to do some research. Alzado died from juice too.

You're whole post was narrative and had no referances. I think it would be better accepted if you cited some of this.

Gatorade is probably 100% corn. I couldn't find any specific references, but I'd be inclined their sugar source is corn. It's also 100% synthetic beyond the water content.

Lemonade:

water,

sucrose syrup,

glucose-fructose syrup,

citric acid,

natural and artificial flavors,

salt,

sodium citrate,

monopotassium phosphate,

ester gum,

sucrose acetate isobutyrate,

yellow 5

There could be 5 or 50 additional ingredients in the "natural and artificial" flavors, you never know. All 100% synthetic, even the "natural" ones.

An excellent alternative is coconut water. You can buy it in Tera Packs at Target stores. It's potassium content dwarfs Gatoraide by 10 fold. It's made my Mother Nature, not some guy in a lab coat in a chemical factory.

If youre trying to maximize weightloss sugar is generaly something to stay away from.

I used honey mixed with water when I was in endurance sports, sometimes I would use dextrose while training, and every time after weight training I always load on the dextrose. But when you want only to burn fat durring aerobic exercize, sugar is not ideal. That's no mater where the source is from, in fact carbs would be a bad choice at that exact time.

:worthless:

BUT.........

Budy, you need to do some research. Alzado died from juice too.

You're whole post was narrative and had no referances. I think it would be better accepted if you cited some of this.

You dont have to take my word for it. But shame on you if you need that shortcut.

Oh and I almost forgot. The main goal of creatine is to make your muscles bigger. Your heart is a muscle.