zucc

how good are BL's at SQ?

hey guys i have been reading around alot and i know i plan on buying From Fi when i get some money and a car lol. Well i have wanted the BL's because FI says that they fll the gap between the spl monster and SQ sub. I plan on getting 1 15 and a Saz-1500d amp . My question is i was wonderign how good of a SQ do the BL's have? I no that they will hit hard and shake the ground but i want to still be able to have a decent amount of SQ. i listen to Rock and rap so i was thinking maybe tuning the port to around 35 hz ish?

if you all could help me out that would be great.

thanks

Rephrase your question and don't use the terms SQ or SPL. Describe your goals and don't use terminology you currently don't understand.

Welcome to the forum zucc :neil::eek5wavey:

Perhaps what you are asking is... are those particular subs tonally accurate?

What ///M5 means is that SQ is a highly subjective term. In other words, what I think is SQ may not be what you think is SQ (in fact, I can almost guarantee it isn't).

I've had folks sit in my truck and go "dood, there's no bass... that sounds pretty good and all, but dayum... it needs bass".

Then at the same show, I've had other folks get in and say "WHOA man... you gotta turn down the subs or you'll never win..."

That's with two 12's quietly putting out 130 decibels.

Again, welcome to the forum :neil:

Edited by Dave Brooks

yes brooksie that is no bass, 130 db come on!! lol jk i'm sure i'd think it sounds lovely. The BL has the same sound quality potential as a Q in a ported enclosure, but in sealed, then no def. not as accurate. for someone who isn't huge on systems, and you want something to slam, then the BL is definitely the way to go. get a couple custom options, and you will be able to beat on it all day with that 1500d, (which is underrated btw). I am very critical of sound quality, and it does good enough for me, just remember it's very install reliant, if the box is shotty, the woofer will sound shotty.

ok let me try again when i refer to sound quality i mean that the bass will not sound muddy but will shake and pound hard and still having tight bass that is not to loose.

i hope that is better

from what it sounds like, the BL will far exceed your expectations. just remember it is very install reliant.

Rephrase your question and don't use the terms SQ or SPL. Describe your goals and don't use terminology you currently don't understand.

you gotta be a lil nicer when ppl need help. i mean if everyone answered each others questions the way you do, then this forum wouldnt be as big as it is now. :) but i do admit, i like to look at your sig...

Edited by phi

i mean if everyone answered each others questions the way you do, then this forum wouldnt be as big as it is now.

Frankly, is that a bad thing? :)

It worked...if you asked most of the people around here what their definition of "SQ" would be, it's not what the OP said. Which is why these questions are a little exasperating because we're trying to answer questions when we have no clue what the other side means.

As for the original question, the BL's should be OK for that.

you gotta be a lil nicer when ppl need help. i mean if everyone answered each others questions the way you do, then this forum wouldnt be as big as it is now. :) but i do admit, i like to look at your sig...

Actually I would say the other way around, people should try harder with their first posts.

Try and join here once, and see how you think of their forum rules. Personally I love them.

http://corner-carvers.com/

*note it was never not an attempt to help the OP, but what he asked for in his initial post had NOTHING to do with what he wants

**clear sign when someone asks for SQ and doesn't at all discuss the front stage :(

Anyways to the OP, the BL's will do more than you state you want as long as you build a valid enclosure for them. In particular for your tastes (or what I could gather from a couple very short sentences) it sounds like they would be a perfect fit for you. Basically maximum output without being a burp sub at a reasonable power level and not going to hell when you play music on them.

ok i have a nother question. i want to get a finally output of 1 ohm when i wire everything. so that means i have to get the BL' dual 2 ohm set up? bc i am only going to be getting one sub and wireing to one amp. please correct me if i am wrong

u r right.

yes brooksie that is no bass, 130 db come on!!

Well, I exaggerated a bit there... I went back and looked at the scoresheet for that show... 129.9

Sounds more realistic now, eh? :wacko:

/end threadjack :neil:

Step back boys and let me take this one

Zucc, I am a good reader of people and although a couple of short sentences ,indeed, I understand completely .... The answer for you is order a Ascendand Audio Havoc or a Fi Q fully loaded, to be ran off a single Sundown SAZ 1500/D They are in fact the same sub and would both be excellent SQ and SPL of what your definitions are.. Maybe even better than you could possibly anticipate in both categories. Another one I love some guys hear hate is SQPL. Makes some of them throwup the next time they see someone drink white milk through a clear glass! hehe

The BTL which is a mayhem and the BL are going to be better sounding (your version of SQ) subs than most if not all other SPL oriented subwoofers on the market. Although they have avoided the NASTY "motor" sound that is coming from most SPL subs their is still an unwanted spider sound that is a little to bangy. On one hand it goes along with this one woofer being unbelievable that only one can be so loud but on the other it doesn't matter how many watts you have on a single driver 2 subs of same size have the potential to play better even w/ less power (nothing beats cone area) ....The BTL is cool for it's application but most people would probably be happier running Q's or SSD's (cleaner sound) It's so funny how many people pass up on the SSD, Chaos, Q, Havoc and go for the BL or BTL, Mayhem. Everything Fi/AA makes is going to have some serious dedication to Bass. Nothing wrong with it sounding clean, clear and have high fidelity at the same time..

The Q loaded ,Havoc, will have more SPL than you are probably thinking!!! It is very capable with no motor noise or unwanted banginess. If you need more bass don't add another amp spend less on another Q loaded - same thing as havoc. and you;ll have more output to your ears while remainiing clear.

Terminology to who's understanding..? I may understand both of your respective terminologies of SPL and SQ better than yourselves but nobody has a patent on it and it applies in both. Have more of an open mind --- If having a hard time understanding other peoples definitions on things ask someone for help.

Obviously you figured you had differences w/ zuccs definitions and just wanted to make yourself heard, well it sounded like whaaaaaaaawhawha

If I am wrong I will ask for your forgiveness and offer my assistance. Zucc is trying to say that many SPL oriented woofers have a not so nice aftertaste called motor sound. Some specific type woofers sometimes have more clarity, cleanliness, crisp quality of sound or SQ at the frequencies we are trying to reproduce at ridiculously loud levels, also known as amplitude and SPL.

Just because you like your subsonic frequency at a lower level than most doesn't mean that people can't desire high output at a quality level. SQPL. Is any of this making sense. PM if you'd like and I'd be happy to help you out w/ definitions and improving your own settup if you'd like!

Edited by NDMstang65

thank you for that. i have always wanted to ask but was afraid to get e-raped lol.

Terminology to who's understanding..? I may understand both of your respective terminologies of SPL and SQ better than yourselves but nobody has a patent on it and it applies in both. Have more of an open mind --- If having a hard time understanding other peoples definitions on things ask someone for help.

Obviously you figured you had differences w/ zuccs definitions and just wanted to make yourself heard, well it sounded like whaaaaaaaawhawha

If I am wrong I will ask for your forgiveness and offer my assistance. Zucc is trying to say that many SPL oriented woofers have a not so nice aftertaste called motor sound. Some specific type woofers sometimes have more clarity, cleanliness, crisp quality of sound or SQ at the frequencies we are trying to reproduce at ridiculously loud levels, also known as amplitude and SPL.

Just because you like your subsonic frequency at a lower level than most doesn't mean that people can't desire high output at a quality level. SQPL. Is any of this making sense. PM if you'd like and I'd be happy to help you out w/ definitions and improving your own settup if you'd like!

M5 has just been OWNED hehe

So you are arbitrarily going to use definitions for terms and have no consistency and expect them to be understood? No matter what there is one major difference between SQ and SPL and that is that SQ will always refer to the whole system, while SPL only refers to the subwoofers. What the OP stated was he was looking for an SPL setup that would shake the ground but that had no exaggerated bass...oxymoronic a bit no? Impossible to answer without clarification. Had he not used the term SQ in his post and instead typed what he was looking for it would have been easy, but the misuse of the label makes it very confusing. I could assume I knew what he wanted like you did, but that is never a way to help someone.

Another one I love some guys hear hate is SQPL. Makes some of them throwup the next time they see someone drink white milk through a clear glass! hehe

It's just a meaningless term. What exactly do you mean by that? If you take SPL to mean the overall output level of everything, not just subwoofers, then there's no reason why SQ can't have lots of output. So there's no need for a "PL" or whatever on the end of it.

If you have 20 years in this hobby like you said, I'm amazed at some of the generalizations you've made in basically all of your threads.

Joe..hush..nobody wants to read books of nonsense....

SQ, is SQ. Or the quality of sound in a given scenario

SPL, is SPL. Or the output of sound pressure in relation of decibels in a given scenario.

It is what it is, nothing more, nothing less.

You can have loud, and clean music, which is exactly what it is...loud and clean music...no need for acronyms.

Ps. the "you got owned" thing doesn't fly here...take it elsewhere, this is a place to discuss our products, not for you to ramble and flex your e thing.

Thanks

-Nick

id have to agree with nick i was up at the bandshell(SBN) and there was a white escalde that had alot of spl with his w7's but he had better sq i could hear every musical note

thank you for that. i have always wanted to ask but was afraid to get e-raped lol.

dont worry about it man everyone here is mature and very helpful..to be honest i have never been on a forum where members help and respect each other so much...now another car audio forum that we all know and hate..thats a different story..they do e-rapings on a daily basis..lol

M5 has just been OWNED hehe

So you are arbitrarily going to use definitions for terms and have no consistency and expect them to be understood? No matter what there is one major difference between SQ and SPL and that is that SQ will always refer to the whole system, while SPL only refers to the subwoofers. What the OP stated was he was looking for an SPL setup that would shake the ground but that had no exaggerated bass...oxymoronic a bit no? Impossible to answer without clarification. Had he not used the term SQ in his post and instead typed what he was looking for it would have been easy, but the misuse of the label makes it very confusing. I could assume I knew what he wanted like you did, but that is never a way to help someone.

btw who is that in your SIG. lol

Zucc, I am a good reader of people and although a couple of short sentences ,indeed, I understand completely .... The answer for you is order a Ascendand Audio Havoc or a Fi Q fully loaded, to be ran off a single Sundown SAZ 1500/D They are in fact the same sub and would both be excellent SQ and SPL of what your definitions are.. Maybe even better than you could possibly anticipate in both categories. Another one I love some guys hear hate is SQPL. Makes some of them throwup the next time they see someone drink white milk through a clear glass! hehe

The BTL which is a mayhem and the BL are going to be better sounding (your version of SQ) subs than most if not all other SPL oriented subwoofers on the market. Although they have avoided the NASTY "motor" sound that is coming from most SPL subs their is still an unwanted spider sound that is a little to bangy. On one hand it goes along with this one woofer being unbelievable that only one can be so loud but on the other it doesn't matter how many watts you have on a single driver 2 subs of same size have the potential to play better even w/ less power (nothing beats cone area) ....The BTL is cool for it's application but most people would probably be happier running Q's or SSD's (cleaner sound) It's so funny how many people pass up on the SSD, Chaos, Q, Havoc and go for the BL or BTL, Mayhem. Everything Fi/AA makes is going to have some serious dedication to Bass. Nothing wrong with it sounding clean, clear and have high fidelity at the same time..

The Q loaded ,Havoc, will have more SPL than you are probably thinking!!! It is very capable with no motor noise or unwanted banginess. If you need more bass don't add another amp spend less on another Q loaded - same thing as havoc. and you;ll have more output to your ears while remainiing clear.

wow, nice, and that is exactly the review I have been lookin for in the last few days!!

I was under the impression the BL was a more SQ based sub... Isnt it the cheapest of the FI's line?? (top of the webpage right?)

wow, nice, and that is exactly the review I have been lookin for in the last few days!!

I was under the impression the BL was a more SQ based sub... Isnt it the cheapest of the FI's line?? (top of the webpage right?)

SSD is the cheapest