this is basiclly the finally ungrade to my car for quite a long time.

what i have installed already in my 00 olds intrigue (stock alt. no big three **unless later needed**)

• sony gt cdx310 reciever
  • tsunami 1.2 far cap
  • kenwood kac-x10d
  • aa arsenal 12 d4
  • polk db series 5.25 mounted in the door's stock location
  • db1000 tweeters
  • db 6x9 rear deck
  • ran all 4 gauge kicker wiring

looking for a 4channel amp for under $150 to power tweets and 5.25's

i really enjoy my kenwood excelon that i use for my aa.

ive found a kac-x542 for 135 shipped on ebay. here is a link to crutchfield <

link to crutchfields

>

also found kenwood's newer line excelon for about 170 shipped. the kac-x40 < link >

i would like to stay below 150 so i have money for wiring and some cosmetic things.

i dont want to limit myself to just kenwood amps if (and there always is) something better is out there. i just really like the look of them. id love to get my hands on that metal they use for the covers.

in 4 or 5 years i can buy all the expensive chit u guys got....

any input???

just tell me to go for it.... or kenwood sucks....

i dont care lol

Kenwood amps generally suck.

In your price range you should shop used.

Big 3 >>>>> cap :(

I don't understand why you have tweeters and 6x9's and no crossovers for them, that won't work making it hard to recommend an amp. You should sell your speakers and get a component set.

Kenwood amps generally suck.

In your price range you should shop used.

Big 3 >>>>> cap :(

I don't understand why you have tweeters and 6x9's and no crossovers for them, that won't work making it hard to recommend an amp. You should sell your speakers and get a component set.

i knew i would get this kinda response.... this is my first system so i was alittle hesistant to make big purchases. i avoided the big three because i didnt want to mess around under the hood at the time.

i had alot more typed up for this post but my school's computer killed it so ill just paraphase some things.

its hard to find some one to buy my speaker but ill try.

i was thinking about using some diy speakers like dayton or what ever. using ether the polk tweets or not. but it would be passive so im guessing thats a bad idea or just not worth it. however it be fun to try

ill post more later...

I would suggest a Kicker ZX 350.4 or Cerwin Vega EXL 400.4 over Kenwood.

i think i can get the kicker real cheap off ebay or ubid. if i can find people to buy my polks maybe ill run just a 2 channel to a component set

what component set is good for a buget.... i dont know how much ill spend but deff under 100

Edited by lithium

For that price, you're basically going to have to run active, or deal with extremely compromised passive sets...

in 4 or 5 years i can buy all the expensive chit u guys got....

It's not the price, it's how it's installed :)

first thing i would do is sell the tsunami cap..its just going to put a bigger strain on your factory electrical system and really do you no good at all..figure you get about $50 for it..so now you got $200..honestly i would sell all the speakers you have and get a nice set of components from ebay so figure you sell the cap for $50 and get another $60 for all the speakers and im just saying $60 for the sake of this post you can maybe get more..so $150 that you already have+$50+$60=$260 heres what i would for compoenets speakers id get these

http://cgi.ebay.com/ALPINE-SPS-13C2-5-25-2...1QQcmdZViewItem 2 sets of these brand new for $70 figure about $20 for shipping so thats $90 we got $170 ..the kenwood excelon amp you have is a nice amp..i would keep it so we need a small 4 channel amp for the speakers this 4 channel amp would be perfect http://cgi.ebay.com/BRAND-NEW-2008-KENWOOD...1QQcmdZViewItem

cost is $118 about $137 with shipping so we got $33 left and you have a nice sub,amp,component speakers,4 channel amp,got your wiring,got your head unit and still have $33 left over..this is what i would do with the money availiable goodluck man..

****edit*** i just looked at the speakers you already have there not too bad..if you feel they do the job for you keep them and just get the 4 channel amp

Edited by denalilvr

Why two sets of mediocre speakers instead of one set of decent ones?

And for $120 I bet there are better used amps out there...like an older Alpine, RF, PG...etc.

And for $120 I bet there are better used amps out there...like an older Alpine, RF, PG...etc.

well sure if you want to look stupid and have 2 different brand amps...lol hes already got the kenwood and the one has for the sub is actually a pretty good one..for the money he has that kenwood 4 channel is one a few options..again for the money those alpine components are one of a few that he can afford..and why do 1 set? i hate people who know put speakers in front..need to be dragged and shot..lol

well sure if you want to look stupid and have 2 different brand amps...
I don't think it looks stupid...yes, it some installs it's nice cosmetically to have all of them the same kind, but if they're integrated well I've seen multi-brand amp setups look just fine too...technically there's no reason for not doing it.
and why do 1 set?

Because otherwise any semblance of a soundstage gets ruined...

i hate people who know put speakers in front..need to be dragged and shot..lol

?

i have a jl 300.4 that would be close to your budget.

well sure if you want to look stupid and have 2 different brand amps...lol hes already got the kenwood and the one has for the sub is actually a pretty good one..for the money he has that kenwood 4 channel is one a few options..again for the money those alpine components are one of a few that he can afford..and why do 1 set? i hate people who know put speakers in front..need to be dragged and shot..lol

I hate uneducated posts about rear speakers. They are useless and ALWAYS a bad idea.

I hate uneducated posts about rear speakers. They are useless and ALWAYS a bad idea.

its even more useless to tell someone there idea is unedcuated and just leave without giving a reason.. :bull:

and all im saying is if your going to do then do it right..and do everything..why only do front? do the whole car

Edited by denalilvr

so you guys only upgrade your front speakers and leave the rears factory?

Well, in my case I never had rear speakers to begin with, but yes...there's absolutely no point in upgrading rear speakers if a decent soundstage is a priority.

Think about it. At a concert, the band is in front of you, generally speaking. Why would you want a guitar or vocal part to come from directly behind you? :) I've never understood the "it's for the passengers" argument, either. In Dave's Camry, heck I preferred the rear seat because you could sit in the middle and listen to everything centered with the time alignment off :P No problems with not hearing anything then...

Now, if someone doesn't care and "just wants to hear the words", that's different...

Indeed my rears are factory and still in the truck, but they are covered with 3 layers of mat and Ensolite and aren't connected to anything. Having rears does NOT make it louder in particular if it reduces the budget for your fronts. 9 out of 10 people that ride in the back ask me what speakers are back there as well. Installation is the important thing and you never want to have multiple drivers playing the same frequency range on either side of your vehicle as it doesn't do anything helpful but does a lot of harm.

Well, in my case I never had rear speakers to begin with, but yes...there's absolutely no point in upgrading rear speakers if a decent soundstage is a priority.

Think about it. At a concert, the band is in front of you, generally speaking. Why would you want a guitar or vocal part to come from directly behind you? :) I've never understood the "it's for the passengers" argument, either. In Dave's Camry, heck I preferred the rear seat because you could sit in the middle and listen to everything centered with the time alignment off :P No problems with not hearing anything then...

Now, if someone doesn't care and "just wants to hear the words", that's different...

lmfao i was going to bring up this point but i didnt because i wanted to see how long it would take someone to say it..also think of this way..when you at the theaters or if you have a home theater system do you only have the speakers in front? no they are besides you and behind you...so the argument can go both ways..i guess if you got the money then do the whole car/truck if your on a budget..i guess theres worse things you can do then just doing the fronts..

lmfao i was going to bring up this point but i didnt because i wanted to see how long it would take someone to say it..also think of this way..when you at the theaters or if you have a home theater system do you only have the speakers in front? no they are besides you and behind you...so the argument can go both ways..i guess if you got the money then do the whole car/truck if your on a budget..i guess theres worse things you can do then just doing the fronts..

You're talking about surround formats, which are a totally different issue :)

5.1 surround is very different than 2-channel stereo...because they have discrete channels that are specifically encoded for those surround speakers. With two-channel stereo playing on four speakers, all you're doing is playing the same material in different places.

You're talking about surround formats, which are a totally different issue :)

5.1 surround is very different than 2-channel stereo...because they have discrete channels that are specifically encoded for those surround speakers. With two-channel stereo playing on four speakers, all you're doing is playing the same material in different places.

i like to have that "surround" feeling in my truck has well..lol i just dont like factory speakers

thank you all for the posts.

i think i can some ppl to buy my 6x9s and 5.25s. maybe the tweeters too.

so that like 30$ a pair.

if i can find a component set for like 100$ and a 2 channel for 100$ so thats a 200$ buget. more for speakers less for amp or however u wana look at it. im not including wiring.

would u recomment me selling the cap and doin a big three??? i did have dimming before the cap and now i dont or very very little on the dome lights.

i currently fade everything to the front anyways so no need for fill.... could throw the tweeters back there for fill if i dont sell em.. lol. if u turn it up loud enough the ppl in the back dont need speakers.

these link will hopefully work. they are just some options that ive pulled up from sonicelectronix.com. there are some others but im not sure on there quality but are in the price range. this are 6.5 and 5.25 component sets. i could do a custom mount baffle or something for the 6.5 or put the 5.25s in stock location. car is 00 olds intrigue by the way.

some 6.5 comp set options

5.25 comp set options

so thats a start on the speakers... now for an amp.

im thinking a decent 2 channel

more links

have to leave but here is a kicker. its a 4 channel because kicker for some reason make all there lower power 2 channels with just a lpf...

kx100.4

the links to sonic didnt work like i wanted but if you would please go to sonicelectronix.com and look at some of there 100 dollar range components and give me an opion that would be apprieciated.

Edited by lithium

there are alot of kicker amps on ubid.com

they look pretty decent.

looks like miss read some of the info. it seem most of the 2 channels have a lpf or hpf at 80hz. which isnt to terrible for a cheap amp.

the component set seem to be in the 100rms range so i was think any of the 150.2's and up

Dammit guys! We have to realize that not everyone is alike. If someone wants rear speakers, let them have them. People who are after true imaging and soundstage are rare. Not everyone is into the hobby for pure audio nirvana. Ah, never mind.

Dammit guys! We have to realize that not everyone is alike. If someone wants rear speakers, let them have them. People who are after true imaging and soundstage are rare. Not everyone is into the hobby for pure audio nirvana. Ah, never mind.

Even still if your budget is X dollars you are ALWAYS better off spending all X on fronts alone instead of fronts and rears. Nothing to do with Nirvana.