Dammit guys! We have to realize that not everyone is alike. If someone wants rear speakers, let them have them. People who are after true imaging and soundstage are rare. Not everyone is into the hobby for pure audio nirvana. Ah, never mind.

lol ok so for those of us who want rear speakers then what are we in this hobby for?

Dammit guys! We have to realize that not everyone is alike. If someone wants rear speakers, let them have them. People who are after true imaging and soundstage are rare. Not everyone is into the hobby for pure audio nirvana. Ah, never mind.

Even still if your budget is X dollars you are ALWAYS better off spending all X on fronts alone instead of fronts and rears. Nothing to do with Nirvana.

BUT sq is subjective. so you're not ALWAYS going to be better off with just fronts if you like the surroundsound like effect of having rear speakers.

no, ryan1 is correct. if a person wants to have rear fill, then let them have rear fill. i mean,comeon, just how many cars end up having true imaging anyway?

i say if they want rear fill, help them make their rear fill as good as possible. suggest the correct way by all means, nothing wrong with options, but try and help fulfill their needs/wants as they see them.

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

Even still if your budget is X dollars you are ALWAYS better off spending all X on fronts alone instead of fronts and rears. Nothing to do with Nirvana.

I agree with you on this, but the fact is, others may not. That's my point.

lol ok so for those of us who want rear speakers then what are we in this hobby for?

I can't answer that. Only the individual who wants rear speakers can.

Myself, I could give a shit less about imaging. As long as I have a clean signal on both ends, 99% of the time I'm happy. I don't use rear speakers because I personally don't see the need, and none of my vehicles at this point are anything worth even attempting a "SQ" type installation. They're poor platforms, so I wouldn't even attempt it. Others may be in the same boat. There are so many levels to this hobby, and that's what makes it fun.

I don't get into the SPL game, nor do I completely understand the point, but that's my personal stance, and if the SPL guys like it, I am not going to tell them it's shit.

I'm a Ford man, Kent's a GM guy. We both razz each other about it, but when it comes down to it, it's all about the common bond. In this community, it's audio, whether it be SQ, SPL, or just a simple upgrade of factory speakers.

^^^ ford freak.

lol. but very well said.

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

your right we both have opinions and how we feel our systems should be ran..i feel its stupid to only run speakers in front and you feel its stupid to run them in the back..so on this subject we'll have to agree to disagree

what are we talking about again.....

hyjackers

lol

anyways

looking for a 2 channel and a par of comps.

$200 budget

is it correct to assume that the 6.5 in midrange will provide better midbass then a 5.25 of the same quality or model.

sonicelectronix.com is the only website ive really started to look at for comps. how do mb quart compare to brands like kicker, alpine, infinity, polk, etc. its probly more along the lines of what one's taste in sound is but what are some quality brands to look out for.

im pretty set on a small kicker 2 channel. but ill take alook at some other options if anyone would like to mention them.

sould i sell the cap and do big three.

the cap stopped some dimming i was getin before.

if i can get 60 for the cap. then do the big three for say 30-40 with 4 gauge..... higher gauge? maybe?

came across some polk db6501 comps. about 120 shipped off ebay.

good deal? how do these stack up to comp sets like alpines type s, jbl, pioneer, and kicker?

is it correct to assume that the 6.5 in midrange will provide better midbass then a 5.25 of the same quality or model.

sonicelectronix.com is the only website ive really started to look at for comps. how do mb quart compare to brands like kicker, alpine, infinity, polk, etc. its probly more along the lines of what one's taste in sound is but what are some quality brands to look out for.

im pretty set on a small kicker 2 channel. but ill take alook at some other options if anyone would like to mention them.

I believe a 6.5 should perform a bit better compared to a 5.25.

Did you do any work on your doors ?

I've read good reviews the PG Rsd components..take a look at those if you haven't :)

i think ill go up to circuitcity and best buy soon and listen to anything they have. to get an idea of how a similar product compares. id like to know if i would enjoy a metal tweeter over cloth...

for 120 i think the polks would be nice upgrade. but ill make a decision after listen to some other options

as far as amps go im still looking at a kicker on ubid.com ill try to bid on a 250.2 or something with around 100rmsx2

would you recommend me selling the cap and doin a big 3? what gauge sould i run and what are some good site that sell cheap wire.

im gona go stare at my engine and see how i can do the big 3. :blink:

oh and to get the 6.5" woofers in the door. the 5.25s are screwed to this plasic riser. that is mounted around a hole in the door. if the hole is big enough or to big i was gona do a simple mdf riser.

I'm like that planet Uranus...I run rear speakers and I like it. In my car they are nearly straight below my head in the rear doors, so hardly behind me. Also they have the armrest over them so they aim low and not good at highs. This provides a kick in the mid/midbass that I like. Also can give a slight headphone effect, but the stage remains forward. With my kicker 5ch the front stage alone is so weak I really need them right now anyway as I'm not going to bridge the front, new amps just need to be put in. And when I am outside the car I can hardly hear the front comps, I crank the rears up for that.

IMO I'd buy some used amps of quality, you will be further ahead. I've used kenwoods with no problems, maybe not great but not a bad amp and have worked for me better than this kicker....but each system is different so hard to nail the amp. I am going to try old alpines, infinity, SS, nak, and maybe something else. I'll post what I end up using if anyone is interested.

ill go to circiuty carry the same hu i have and also kicker amps. see how they sound on some of the speakers (polk and kicker)there and make my decison. see how they do agaist kenwood and rf at bestbuy.

wish there was a shop around here with some other brands. i cant just jump and buy some of these other brands without hearing them. though i might as well. lol

think ill try a big three in the mean time. but ill start another post for the few questions that i have.

I hate to tell you this, but listening to speakers on a board will get you nowhere. It does at least give you a chance to hear them, but it's far from ideal and far from their intended application. When you get them in-car, be prepared for a totally different experience than what you had at the store. I like how you are being pro-active though.

thanks for pointing that out. i just dont want to take a complete shot in the dark here; unless i either have alot of ppl say go get this set of speakers or have the chance to atleast hear them... even on a board.

if i had the money id go active.... but i cant... all my money from now on is basicly goin to college stuff, insurance, and afew other things.

ill be happy with a cheap pair of components that play some decent music and my lil aa arsenal.

by the way if know have experience whith the big three. give me alittle help. ive got a post with a few question under >>>>>>>> Amplifiers / Head Units / Processors

I hate to tell you this, but listening to speakers on a board will get you nowhere. It does at least give you a chance to hear them, but it's far from ideal and far from their intended application. When you get them in-car, be prepared for a totally different experience than what you had at the store. I like how you are being pro-active though.

It won't tell you much about the mid and lower response, but it will do a ton to determine which tweeter you like which to me is usually the weakness of most comp sets. *other than the given that none of them have enough mid-bass :(

ya i guess i can try to find the cleanest playing pair i can and hope the midbass isnt horrible. but im sure a pair with 6.5" mids will have a better low end then my 5.25s

Lol, that is funny M5 you are right on. The only thing I have ever done with a board of speakers is just what you said...only use it for comparing them, pick the one with the most midbass/bass, and the tweeter that you like and in my case does not scream at me usually a soft dome. Actually, I have found that often the coax not a tri/etc of minimal wattage was best, had more bass, more efficient, tweeter in better control unless you need a bright speaker for your application. They blow up if not careful naturally. It has been a long time since I was in a place that had a board with a bunch of comps....long time since I went looking I guess. I bought my bostons used I've always liked their sound. They sound nice but not much midbass just like the comps in there before that, but my doors are not prepared properly either, not yet. Actually the tweeter in the old kenwood comps seemed to work a little nicer, very old kenwood set. They were likely brighter and my location is not the best.

i like my polk tweets i have now. which is directing me towards polk components. or i can do a frankenstien component set using my tweeters and some other midrange woofer.....lol

as a kinda side question. will puting my future component set in kick panel sound better then a door with proper deading??? are there any other thing you can do to a door besided dynamat or raamat deadening?

ive never thought of doing kicks till i saw an alero on cardomain. originally i thought it could not really be done so everything would stay out of the way of my feet.

It depends. The big advantages of kickpanels are that you can reduce path length differences between drivers (the distance between your ear and the speaker), and bring them closer to being on-axis than a door installation might.

Why they might not be perfect for everyone is that some midbasses require more space than you might be able to get out of a kickpod, so infinite baffle mounting in the door is pretty much it. Or that in some cars, mounting the tweet in the kicks brings the soundstage too far down. But I've heard some vehicles where the stage was perfect in height with tweets down there, so it all depends...

Ideally, if you're working with in-door mounting you can also seal up any big holes that might be in the panel - plexi or Lexan works well to cover up gaping holes that would kill midbass response, then you just deaden over that.

thanks. the main reason i got my tweeters was to raise the front stage up. i would think doin kicks would just put me in a worse situation and would cost more then sealing up the doors,etc.

guess its about time to nut up and buy some stuff. however im still tryin to get the electrical worked out so if anyone hasnt please see my post about doin a big 3.

You do only want one set of tweeters though...

ya i know. hope i can just sell all of my speakers....