Sign in to follow this  
Scapelli21

My 15" Q blew up...

Can someone tell me why about 1/4 of the spider would be torn and a lil crispy and the rest be fine? the coil looks fine too btw...powered by a KX1200.1 in a 2.6 internal sealed enclosure...it smells AND feels as if it were on fire...the gains were fine and everything, i wasnt even playing full tilt when all the sudden...silence, no pop or any sound, just no bass and the smell

Where was the gain knob set?

The correct answer would be in voltage...either way you over powered the driver, so possible your amp took a crap or your settings weren't as you thought they were.

ok, does it mean anything that these exact same settings worked on 4 cvrs for over a year? just curious...i was told by multiple people that the settings were fine, they listened to it and it sounded fine no clipping or bottoming, and the driver never got warm

and what exactly do u mean in voltage? there was never any warning as when the sub could possibly fail

ok, does it mean anything that these exact same settings worked on 4 cvrs for over a year? just curious...i was told by multiple people that the settings were fine, they listened to it and it sounded fine no clipping or bottoming, and the driver never got warm

Drivers wired to the same impedance?? Multiple people can be wrong.

By voltage I mean when you set your gains if you aren't sure what you are doing they should be measured via an oscilloscope which would give you the voltage output of the amp and also confirm that you weren't clipping.

i thought ud say o-scope, how much are they cuz every1 i know that has 1 always has to get them calibrated and this and that whatever...the 4 12's were wired to 1ohm as is this single 15...i know people can be wrong, just sayin what ive been told...where in minnesota are u?

Out by the lake.

O-scopes aren't cheap but at this point either your amp and sub are toast or your sub is. With that sort of damage not only should you have heard it coming, but smelt it as well.

lets say your amp is clipping like crazy, 4 cvrs could take it fine.... it's 4 subs, what r they rated at? 400wrms right? i know it's somewhere around there. They can handle stress off of an amp like that.

Never use bass boost. I honestly dont know why manufactures continue to put that option on amps...

Sounds like you clipped it and burned the coil up. Take it out of the enclosure and make sure that it is indeed dead and verify the resistance of the coils with a digital volt ohm meter, we can get you a recone out and get you back running again...burned coils are not covered in the warranty though, sorry.

Keep us posted

Thanks!

-Nick

Out by the lake.

That is the best ever

ROFLMAO

Pretty easy to narrow it down. ;)

Sign in to follow this