denalilvr

newbie building first box

guys im building a box just for the hell of it..its going to be a sealed box and i just want to see if i can do this because im sick of paying $250+ to have others do it for me..the size of the box will be 2.5 cu.ft..so if you guys can list what i will need to get this done besides nails,hammer,glue, also what kind of glue do you guys like? i really hope i can pull this off...thanx guys

Edited by denalilvr

I use titebond 2, been using it for ever . But brand doesn't really matter as much as just using a decent WOOD glue

saw ( table saw preferably , but a circular saw and a guide will work )

Drill / screwdriver and screws ( counter sink, and predrill or you will be splitting the mdf constantly)

that is unless you have a compressor and a brad nailer. If you have one use that and say to hell with screws

clamps

a little sand paper

a damp rag to wipe of excess glue

and a heaping helping of Patience

Take your time, measure 40 times cut once :)

I like to use a sponge and keep a small bucket full of fresh water instead of using the rag. I also keep several sharp pencils within reach as I seem to lose them all too easily. Ramos hit it all on the head though, but forgot something.

You will also need a jigsaw for cutting the vent (if applicable) and driver holes, or better yet if you have it, a router and a circle guide.

Ramos hit it all on the head though, but forgot something.

You will also need a jigsaw for cutting the vent (if applicable) and driver holes, or better yet if you have it, a router and a circle guide.

Derrrrr :D I honestly didn't even think about it lol . See what a router and circle jig do for you. Makes it so easy you forget about even having to do it . Thanks sir fryr :)

yeah a router is the best tool i ever bought. and some long bar clamos 36in pus i would say

Add caulk or some type of sealant. I know when I built my first box with a circular saw the cuts weren't the greatest, but just to get a good seal to the box use some caulk/sealant to get a good seal in the inside of the box.

Buy more mdf than you actually need. I would also suggest an alcoholic beverage of your choice for when you are finished.

x2 on the beer. helps you relax lol. mine is a nice cold bud light or new castle.

oh ya plenty of guinness beer and pepto bismol on hand..lol thanx for the advice everyone..going to make my way to lowes and picks some stuff up and make a weekend out of it.. :drink40:

Take pictures if you can for a build log. :)

yeah a router is the best tool i ever bought.

Same here, although it's the tool that makes most of the dust :(

I just had lowes or menards pre-cut the wood for me if you had the dimensions ready.

That works too. Especially if your car isn't big enough to fit a sheet of mdf :)

I just had lowes or menards pre-cut the wood for me if you had the dimensions ready.

I was going to do that, but the guy didn't know what he was doing, so I had him cut it bigger. He still ended up cutting it a few inches short.

Edited by KoolDrew

Add caulk or some type of sealant. I know when I built my first box with a circular saw the cuts weren't the greatest, but just to get a good seal to the box use some caulk/sealant to get a good seal in the inside of the box.

Quick question for you guys.... Why does nobody recommend using bondo instead of caulk for the corners... or in addition to.? I know a lot of people use Resin, and resin sheets, but nobody ever mentions bondo

Caulk is cheap, easy, and pliable.

right, but wouldn't bondo make the corners and edges much stronger?

Also what about using L brackets? bracketlw8.th.jpg

right, but wouldn't bondo make the corners and edges much stronger?

Also what about using L brackets? bracketlw8.th.jpg

Plain Jane bondo, or any other non reinforced filler for that matter will crack like a sob by itself. Structurally it's very weak. Now kitty hair, bondo hair, tiger hair and the other various reinforced fillers will work because of the short or long hair fiberglass strands in it.

L bracket's work , I personally can't stand them, but they work :)

If you do an L bracket sort of structure, why not glue in a board that bonds to both pieces of wood. One step even better is a diagonal cut cord-around.