FocusedOnSound

5.25 inch vs 6.5 inch components

I am beginning to look a good component pair to put into my factory 5x7 location after I sound deaden in a couple weeks. First, Does anyone think I can fit 6.5 woofers into a Ford Focus 5x7 hole without much fabrication (meaning adapter plate or MDF ring). If I can't fit a 6.5, how much is lost by going to a 5.25 inch set? I am really lacking midbass now with the 5x7 type-r coax's that came with the car. Hoping that sound deadening and a decent set of components will fix that up. I will be powering the set with an Alpine MRP-F450 (70wrmsx4, or 200wrmsx2 bridged).

You will lose significant midbass if you are using off the shelf components.

I'm not sure what you mean by "off the shelf" components? I wasn't planning on buying separates from madisound or partsexpress. I was figuring that a set of CDT's Euro series or a JBL power series installed in a sealed, deadened door.

Because of the lp crossover point or what ? :)

My comment was comparing 6.5 comp sets to 5.25 comp sets. The 6.5's will definitely have the capability of playing lower which is definitely related to where you will need to HP them. There are definitely some 5.25 drivers that can get down and boogie, but I haven't seen them packaged very effectively in off the shelf components.

My comment was comparing 6.5 comp sets to 5.25 comp sets. The 6.5's will definitely have the capability of playing lower which is definitely related to where you will need to HP them. There are definitely some 5.25 drivers that can get down and boogie, but I haven't seen them packaged very effectively in off the shelf components.

Thought that was what you were getting at I was wondering :)

oh gotcha, i see what you meant by that. to be specific, I lack midbass EXACTLY in the bassline of billie jean, almost can't hear it. The kick drum and vocals are perfect, but bassline fades away.

i think it depends a little more on set and install. the difference in cone area between a 5.25 and a 6.5 isn't huge. get a decent set of components deaden the doors behind the speaekr and around the mounting area and you should be ok.

Yes, remember function over fanaticisim. You'll be crossing these up at 100hz either way so going to 6.5" won't get you anywhere. Make it easy on yourself, there are ABS kits that convert a 5x7 oval to a 5.25" component setup. This will speed up install time and get you going.

Yes, remember function over fanaticisim. You'll be crossing these up at 100hz either way so going to 6.5" won't get you anywhere. Make it easy on yourself, there are ABS kits that convert a 5x7 oval to a 5.25" component setup. This will speed up install time and get you going.

You play your sub up to 100 hz? :blink: Your crossover point should be right around 60 hz...

it really depends on what 6.5 you get whether it can fit or not. I got some old Kenwood 6.5" components (the ones with the neo magnet) for my dad's f150 and they fit in the holes. but JL Audio XR 6.5's baskets are wider and did not fit in the holes in my explorer and I had to make rings. The bad part is that you'll have to make something anyways because whether you use 5.25s or 6.5s you'll still have open area around the speaker since it will be going into an oval.

I'd say measure the cross section of the 5x7 holes then compare to the speakers you are looking at. Most of them list the basket/mounting width in the speaker manual.

^^ your crossover point will be different for each install. and even still the crossovers have slopes so when you lp your subs at 60hz they will play well above that.

i think it depends a little more on set and install. the difference in cone area between a 5.25 and a 6.5 isn't huge. get a decent set of components deaden the doors behind the speaekr and around the mounting area and you should be ok.

Small difference?? Since when is more than 50% not a huge difference???

NO!! Your nuts. I have my sub low passed at 40hz any higher and it drives me nuts and I wish I could cross it lower. 100hz will sound like shit.

Small difference?? Since when is more than 50% not a huge difference???

NO!! Your nuts. I have my sub low passed at 40hz any higher and it drives me nuts and I wish I could cross it lower. 100hz will sound like shit.

True.