philsteroni

using roofing material for sound deadening

hey guys

one of my buddies says a nice cheap effective meathod for sound deadening is resisto found in roofing sections in homehardware stores... apparently its not as good as the top dynamat or raammat but he says its pretty much the same stuff as fatmat which is cement based (not Butyl). can anyone confirm? i would be real interested to use this stuff (if it works) on my trunk lid and a bit of the back of my trunk to stop trunk raddling. thx -phil

Your buddy doesn't know what he is talking about. Per dollar it isn't worth it. :(

Rattles are usually caused by surfaces coming and contact with each other. What you want is to mechanically isolate/decouple them using foam or something lightweight.

Asphalt-based products like you find in the roofing sections of hardware stores aren't "deadening" products, they just look like them. As suggested, they are not worth your time or money...nor is any asphalt-based material that actually is market to the car audio crowd as "deadener." For every reply you see online were someone says "peal-n-seal is all you need, don't waste your money on expensive stuff," you'll also going to hear "peal-n-seal was the worst gooey disaster I've ever had to deal with in my life and I will never buy it again."

Point is: pony up and do it right the first time.

yes yes a prime IE of why not to listen to your friends....... allways tell the guy that says " bridge it, it will knock louder" to shut his mouth.

u were wise to seek more info

I've actually used a similar roofing material, they come in rolls of 12 inchs by 5 feet.....got them at my local hardware store...installed all over car...My car actually won many sq shows, no rattles at all, never came off, once it sticks its hard to come off...And thicker then dynamate and rammat, w/e....If you have money to throw i say use name brands, if you can't afford the good stuff, use the cheap stuff....its like most people think because an audio company ruled many years thats its products still do, even though they are made over sea's...not much stuff made in usa..

anyways...I had excellent succs rate on this item i used, so I saw use it if you want, makes your car sound better, less road noise...and heavier like all damping materials

have a good day, any

?'s please message me back... I may be new to this forum but and wildly known over other sites...

I also run my own install and repair shop...

Your buddy doesn't know what he is talking about. Per dollar it isn't worth it. :(

and it normally smells more.