shizzzon

Gas Prices, again...

Was $4.19 here, back down to the $4.01-$4.15 range now, but that still sucks when you drive a 4.3L V6.

Yea i feel you on that my jimmy gets horrible mpg.

Just paid $4.25 a gallon for 93 octane to fill up my GTI.

Exact reason why my sled sits. But I got 34mpg out of the civic on the last tank.

Considering we have 4% of the population and consume 25% of the oil I think we're doing pretty good.

I mean, if it gets too high just get a diesel and grow your fuel in the backyard :shrug:

Just FYI, we get most of our oil from Canada, Mexico, and Saudi Arabia... Iraq is 7th on the list of countries we import from...

http://www.energyrefuge.com/archives/where..._comes_from.htm

http://abcnews.go.com/International/popup?id=1566549

This war shouldn't have affected prices that much. It's as ANeonRider said, there's more demand for the oil around the world than there used to be in the last 5-10 years.

Oh, and bose301s, they dropped back to $4 in Grand Haven? I'm in Hudsonville and they're still at $4.20...might be worth making a trip out there with a few gas canisters...

Edited by Big E

Considering we have 4% of the population and consume 25% of the oil I think we're doing pretty good.

I mean, if it gets too high just get a diesel and grow your fuel in the backyard :shrug:

There was an old 190E I almost jumped on. Would have been nice, little bigger then the civic and much smoother ride for about the same mileage.

1. Canada

2. Mexico

3. Saudi Arabia

4. Venezuela

5. Nigeria

6. Angola

7. Iraq

8. Algeria

9. United Kingdom

10. Brazil

Yet, our prices are still higher ;)

Gas just jumped to $5.14/gallon for 87 & $5.60/gallon for 92 here.

yet canadians get to work.... hrmmmm.

I need to move up there, no one whines. lol

1. Canada

2. Mexico

3. Saudi Arabia

4. Venezuela

5. Nigeria

6. Angola

7. Iraq

8. Algeria

9. United Kingdom

10. Brazil

I take it that would be oil producing countries by volume of export? Or is it by production?

J

It's their right to make the profit though..... so what ever.

There's a difference between profit and gouging...

1. Canada

2. Mexico

3. Saudi Arabia

4. Venezuela

5. Nigeria

6. Angola

7. Iraq

8. Algeria

9. United Kingdom

10. Brazil

I take it that would be oil producing countries by volume of export? Or is it by production?

J

Volume of Export

The world needs gumballs, without it we could not chew, and that isn't an option.

company x makes every gumball in the world. no one else does. company x decides to charge 2,000USD for a gumball. No one buys as many gumballs as they used to.

Gumballs, diamonds... petrol, corn, widgets... it's all widgets.

There are always more options. People complaining about it when especialy when in the US it's soooo cheep compairitavely.

The world needs gumballs, without it we could not chew, and that isn't an option.

company x makes every gumball in the world. no one else does. company x decides to charge 2,000USD for a gumball. No one buys as many gumballs as they used to.

Gumballs, diamonds... petrol, corn, widgets... it's all widgets.

There are always more options. People complaining about it when especialy when in the US it's soooo cheep compairitavely.

It doesn't work like that...

We can live without gumballs; and, people will not commit crimes to acquire gumballs.

You missed my point in it's entirity. I should just stay out of these things.

correct people do not need gumballs, but I have seen crime commited for them.

People need corn. The cost of corn has gone up more than gas, for the most common uses. Let me turn this around for a moment.

How would you resolve our created and perpetuated "energy crisis". :ohnoes9:

If you have an answer lets hear it. I really would like to know from you what those companies are doing wrong, and what can they do to fix it? Just how are they gouging?

Reduce use... only thing that will help you any. One reason corn & other grains have skyrocketted in price is because of North America's push for ethanol production, which solves nothing & causes more problems.

Reduce use... only thing that will help you any. One reason corn & other grains have skyrocketted in price is because of North America's push for ethanol production, which solves nothing & causes more problems.

;)

I get too fired up about global warming and gass/energy debates. It's going crazy with my fiance and everyone talking about it.

Economics 101: The Price of Gas

Daily Article by Sterling T. Terrell | Posted on 4/22/2008

Gas prices are up and oil executives are once again testifying before Congress. Clearly, many politicians, pundits, and consumers lament the rising cost of gas. Before we join them in their chorus, let us take a step back and ask this question: Are gas prices really all that high?

A change in price can be a result of inflation, taxes, changes in supply and demand, or any combination of the three.

First, we need to take into account inflation. The result of the Federal Reserve printing too much money is a loss of purchasing power of the dollar: something that cost $1.00 in 1950 would cost about $8.78 today. As for gas prices, in 1950 the price of gas was approximately 30 cents per gallon. Adjusted for inflation, a gallon of gas today should cost right at $2.64, assuming taxes are the same.

But taxes have not stayed the same. The tax per gallon of gas in 1950 was roughly 1.5% of the price. Today, federal, state, and local taxes account for approximately 20% of gas's posted price. Taking inflation and the increase in taxes into account (assuming no change in supply or demand) the same gallon of gas that cost 30 cents in 1950 should today cost about $3.13.

Neither have supply or demand remained constant. The world economy is growing. China and India are obvious examples. At the same time, Americans continue to love driving SUVs and trucks. As for supply, we are prohibited (whatever the reasons may be) from using many of the known oil reserves in our own country. Furthermore, due to government regulation, the last oil refinery built in the United States was completed in 1976. In addition, the Middle East is politically unstable which leads to a risk premium on the world's major source of oil. It is obvious that the demand for oil has grown while supplies have been restricted.

The average price of gas in the United States today is approximately $3.25. The question is, why are gas prices not higher than they are?

Blaming greedy oil companies on the rising price of gas is simply irresponsible. The profit margins of a few selected industries are as follows:

Murray Rothbard considered this the best text available on price theory.

Periodical Publishing 24.9%

Shipping 18.8%

Application Software 22.5%

Tobacco 19%

Water Utilities 10.2%

Major Integrated Oil and Gas 9.5%

Hospitals 1.4%

Drugstores 2.8%

The water utility industry has higher profit margins than major oil and gas firms! Why isn't every CEO with profit margins above that of the oil companies made to testify before Congress for "price gouging"? Clearly, greedy corporate profits are not the issue.

Again, while just over nine percent of the price of a gallon of gas goes to oil company profits, approximately twenty percent of the price of a gallon of gas is composed of federal, state, and local taxes.

Those who want the government to step in and do something about the high price of gas are either forgetful of recent history or too young to remember the oil crisis of 1979. During that time, restrictions on the price of gasoline led to the inability of some to find gas at all. Price ceilings always lead to shortages. The only thing worse than having to pay "too much" for gas is not being able to find gas at any price.

Let us not be swayed by politicians out for power or by reporters out to create news where none exists. Facts and economic logic should prevail rather than rhetoric.

Yeah it sucks but what can we do? get a car that gets better gas mileage, cut out un-needed travel,etc.

Just my thoughts.

Basically we are fucked.............however u wanna look at it.

My only issue is when I look at what shit cost back in 1985 and what pay was for my rank, and look at it today........my pay has barely changed, especially when u account for taxes.

Worst part is its not JUST gas thats going up. its metals, bread, meat, other fuels, hell EVERYTHING............it just sux

I love my 99 dodge 1500 5.2 V8.. even if it does get 12 mpg (on a good day, with me being easy on it). I'm 16 and i spend ( parents refuse to help out on gas lol) more than 60 a week on gas.. i love the v8. I guess thats what i get for living in southern indiana, but i might change when im out of college and have actual bills to pay other than gas :neil: .

Inflation is a bitch....the ol' mighty dollar sucks in value right now.
you can say that again

TIPS ON PUMPING GAS I don't know what you guys are paying for gasoline.... but here in California we are also paying higher, up to $3.50 per gallon. But my line of work is in petroleum for about 31 years now, so here are some tricks to get more of your money's worth for every gallon.. Here at the Kinder Morgan Pipeline where I work in San Jose , CA we deliver about 4 million gallons in a 24-hour period thru the pipeline.One day is diesel the next day is jet fuel, and gasoline, regular and premium grades. We have 34-storage tanks here with a total capacity of 16,800,000 gallons. Only buy or fill up your car or truck in the early morning when the ground temperature is still cold. Remember that all service stations have their storage tanks buried below ground. The colder the ground the more dense the gasoline, when it gets warmer gasoline expands, so buying in the afternoon or in the evening....your gallon is not exactly a gallon. In the petroleum business, the specific gravity and the temperature of the gasoline, diesel and jet fuel, ethanol and other petroleum products plays an important role. A 1-degree rise in temperature is a big deal for this business. But the service stations do not have temperature compensation at the pumps. When you're filling up do not squeeze the trigger of the nozzle to a fast mode. If you look you will see that the trigger has three(3)stages: low, middle, and high. In slow mode you should be pumping on low speed, thereby minimizing the vapors that are created while you are pumping. All hoses at the pump have a vapor return. If you are pumping on the fast rate, some other liquid that goes to your tank becomes vapor. Those vapors are being sucked up and back into the underground storage tank so you're getting less worth for your money. One of the most important tips is to fill up when your gas tank is HALF FULL or HALF EMPTY. The reason for this is, the more gas you have in your tank the less air occupying its empty space. Gasoline evaporates faster than you can imagine. Gasoline storage tanks have an internal floating roof. This roof serves as zero clearance between the gas and the atmosphere, so it minimizes the evaporation. Unlike service stations, here where I work, every truck that we load is temperature compensated so that every gallon is actually the exact amount. Another reminder, if there is a gasoline truck pumping into the storage tanks when you stop to buy gas, DO NOT fill up--most likely the gasoline is being stirred up as the gas is being delivered, and you might pick up some f the dirt that normally settles on the bottom. Hope this will help you get the most value for your money. DO SHARE THESE TIPS WITH OTHERS! WHERE TO BUY USA GAS, THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT TO KNOW. READ ON Gas rationing in the 80's worked even though we grumbled about it. It might even be good for us! The Saudis are boycotting American goods.We should return the favor. An interesting thought is to boycott their GAS. Every time you fill up the car, you can avoid putting more money into the coffers of Saudi Arabia . Just buy from gas companies that don't import their oil from the Saudis. Nothing is more frustrating than the feeling that every time I fill- up the tank, I am sending my money to people who are trying to kill me, my family, and my friends. I thought it might be interesting for you to know which oil companies are the best to buy gas from and which major companies import Middle Eastern oil. These companies import Middle Eastern oil: Shell........................... 205,742,000 barrels Chevron/Texaco......... 144,332,000 barrels Exxon /Mobil............... 130,082,000 barrels Marathon/Speedway... 117,740,000 barrels Amoco.............................62,231,000 barrels Citgo and Valero gas are from South America, from a Dictator who hates Americans.If you do the math at $30/barrel, these imports amount to over $18 BILLION! (oil is now $90 - $100 a barrel Here are some large companies that do not import Middle Eastern oil: Sunoco..................0 barrels Conoco...................0 barrels Sinclair.................0 barrels B P/Phillips............0 barrels Hess.......................0 barrels ARC0.....................0 barrels If you go to Sunoco.com <http://sunoco.com/> , you will get a list of the station locations near you. All of this information is available from the Department of Energy and each is required to state where they get their oil and how much they are importing. But to have an impact, we need to reach literally millions of gas buyers. It's really simple to do. Now, don't wimp out at this point.... keep reading and I'll explain how simple it is to reach millions of people!!