Joseph M

18 btl:: not moving air but...

i have the fully loaded btl, in jus 6 3^4 cu ft box tuned to 34.78 and theres no doubt about it being loud, and rumbling things BUT i am not able to do a hair trick. there is very little air being moved around. is this normal? or is the box to close to the hatch, and not getting enough air? my brother has the 9515g and we put his box n sub in my ride and it moved air like crazy, but the btl isnt move any. any ideas why?

Edited by Joseph M

would you rather be quiet and move tons of air? play below tuning and risk damaging the sub.

i'd say it has to do with the song being played. the same song likely won't yield the same results on both setups. What amp do you have on it? The sub is the most passive thing in the system. Normally things like this have little to do with the actual speaker and a lot more to do with the box and rest of the setup. What is his 9515 tuned to?

also, can you post dimensions of the box and port?

Edited by KU40

i'd say it has to do with the song being played. the same song likely won't yield the same results on both setups. What amp do you have on it? The sub is the most passive thing in the system. Normally things like this have little to do with the actual speaker and a lot more to do with the box and rest of the setup. What is his 9515 tuned to?

Yes. the sub is being powered by a saz 3kd at .5 ohm, with volts dropping to 12.6. 9515 was tuned to 32. i've played "bass i love you" and bunch of different other songs and seem to get the same results. i will post demension when my girlfriend gets home with the hoe.

Yes. the sub is being powered by a saz 3kd at .5 ohm, with volts dropping to 12.6. 9515 was tuned to 32. i've played "bass i love you" and bunch of different other songs and seem to get the same results. i will post demension when my girlfriend gets home with the hoe.

give it time to break in...... also.. if you have tons of airspace to move it just wont do the job....

when i figured out my sweet spot it was on pure mistake... so.. try opeing one door... or both doors... or all windowns down with door shut... change the song...

Don't be so quick on the draw man...the 18 has WAY more displacement than a 9515 ever thought about having...much more of it is linear as well. It also need a lot of time to break in properly as well.

There's no reason that if one would the other wouldn't, other than your car is flexing more and letting more pressure be absorbed through the car instead of being reflected into a 'hair trick'

It's loud..if you want a hairtrick put a bunch of subs in something.

Uggghh.....

I'm sorry you guys from FI have to deal with these types of questions in your forum....

take that same amp, buy 8 ssd 12s and wall your hoe at the A pillar. problem solved. come on man, this aint a worthy question.

You've got the wrong pillar^^^^

That'd be a heck of a pillar lol :)

I guess you could push your car around listening to it then? :)

Uggghh.....

I'm sorry you guys from FI have to deal with these types of questions in your forum....

the whole thing about this question was my box tuned to high to do a hair trick or move air, or was it just to close to the hatch? if you didnt think this was a logical question then what are you doing reading it?

my tape messure went MIA, so i dont have the demension jus yet

FYI: I didnt buy this sub for sq, i bought this sub for SPL. obviously if theres no air moving theres no PL. correct me if i am wrong.

Uggghh.....

the whole thing about this question was my box tuned to high to do a hair trick or move air, or was it just to close to the hatch? if you didnt think this was a logical question then what are you doing reading it?

FYI: I didnt buy this sub for sq, i bought this sub for SPL. obviously if theres no air moving theres no PL. correct me if i am wrong.

OK, you're wrong. In my street A car, there wasn't any air moving, but it was loud. I have a feeling either your driver is port starved, or has too big of a port. On top of that fart boxes generally don't do hair tricks, I believe if you ask around the people doing hair tricks in a daily vehicle will be tuned in the mid-to-high 30's.

Uggghh.....

OK, you're wrong. In my street A car, there wasn't any air moving, but it was loud. I have a feeling either your driver is port starved, or has too big of a port. On top of that fart boxes generally don't do hair tricks, I believe if you ask around the people doing hair tricks in a daily vehicle will be tuned in the mid-to-high 30's.

33hrz here doin hair tricks in a trunked car

what box design if at 33hz u are doing a hair trick? possible there is to much port area eh.... i am going to move my batteries tomorrow and put the speaker about 6 inches away from the hatch and see if that helps. right now i got the box diangle, loading up the corner of the tahoe. thanks for your input, i think i am going to go with some aero ports soon if i dont get rid of this sub.

ok guys that was a little rediculous, maybe between a and b pillar. lol. hairtricks. hey thats what he asked for.

Ok..I don't know how to explain this in any other way. The ability to do such an act might be total coincidence with your brother's or who ever's 9515.

The BTL 18 has FAR more displacement than a 9515 ever thought about having. Displacement is what makes 'hair tricks' possible, it is the volumetric displacement of air by the cone of the woofer moving at a given frequency. You have a cone area advantage with the 18, you also have an excursion advantage with the 18. Put the two together, and you have...displacement.

It's like comparing a v6 mustang to a v8 mustang at a drag strip. The v6 might have hooked up better and beat the v8. But if the v8 puts the power to the ground it will out run the v6 every single time.

I don't understand why you've been so quick on the draw and aggrivated since you ordered the sub. Loud is loud, regardless. But this is just a little bit ridiculous.

I have a hoe with 1 18btl dual 2 ohm an saz 3000 push it an can do a little hair trick not big but little but i do have alot more room for air to move an so do you so it's gonna be harder than if it was in a civic.

don't understand why you've been so quick on the draw and aggrivated since you ordered the sub. Loud is loud, regardless. But this is just a little bit ridiculous.

If it does well on the meter i wont have any problems.and i am not aggrivated on this subject, i am just curious as if there is to much port area, or if its jus not broken in yet.

don't understand why you've been so quick on the draw and aggrivated since you ordered the sub. Loud is loud, regardless. But this is just a little bit ridiculous.

If it does well on the meter i wont have any problems.and i am not aggrivated on this subject, i am just curious as if there is to much port area, or if its jus not broken in yet.

Sorry if these questions make seem "quick on the draw" but i've never had an 18, always 12/15'' so i am kinda not knowing what to expect.

i dont understand why everyone is giving him so much grief... an 18" BTL should do hair tricks with ease on this amp...right???

The reason why I mentioned too much port area is because the larger the port is, the less port velocity you have. If your port is too close to the hatch, it will also hurt the port velocity and change the tuning of your enclosure. Let the sub break in, and try doing hair tricks in the upper 30hz frequency area. Doing hair tricks is part skill part luck. Even the best spl guys in the world can't get a hair trick in the same vehicle with different set-ups every time. (I'm talking about street guys, those walled off b-pillar guys have an advantage.)

I also want to add that

Hair trick /=/ (does not =) Loud.

Well today i found a song that would raise the hair, or possibly do a hair trick but it was rumbling the chit out everything! anyone smelt excess glue being heated up yet?