Sign in to follow this  
ABXX49

HT subwoofer enclosure

Alright, I just ordered a Dayton Reference 15" HF subwoofer for my HT. I am going to use this 90% for movies. I just need some help with an enclosure. If someone could give me a rough size I should build it and a tuning frequency that would be prime. If you're feeling ambitious you can even hook me up with a design. :)

Thanks for anything you contribute!

Also, my mom runs a daycare in my house....So I think a bottom mount would be best for my application. I don't need any sticky little fingers or flying toys hitting my sub...haha.

I just plugged the parameters into winISD and the box it comes out recommending is 11.5 cubes tuned to 17 hz. The response is pretty ruler flat down to 20 hz. If that's too big, 6 cubs is pretty good too and pretty flat to 30 hz with the same tune.

If you can post a build log.

Why are you going ported for a home theatre sub? Go sealed! And then add polyfill as you need to change the response a hair.

I've been really busy as of late and haven't had the time to start. I just checked this and noticed that johnecon said to go sealed. How big of an enclosure will I need if I go sealed? Also, I HAVE to bottom mount this sub. Will this have any effect on output?

As soon as I figure my enclosure out, I will also do a build log.

I like bottom-mounting. Seems to give less in-room troubles as far as hot spots.

As for a sealed box, 5.5 cubes will give you a QTC of .717, -3db point of about 31 hz.

This is mainly going to be used for movies, you think that would be an ideal box?

sealed FTMFW unless you really want output and have plenty of room.

sealed FTMFW unless you really want output and have plenty of room.

x2, well, large sealed.

The enclosure is built now. The final piece is gluing....it's 5.5 sealed. I'll take some more pictures of it tonight/tomorrow. The laminate is coming Monday or Tuesday. It's an medium oak grain.