vladd

Give me your opinions on vehicles

Ok so it's time to retire stratusfaction. This vehicle will be used for my HUGE daily commute to school of 30miles round trip, lol. Now here's what i've narrowed it to so far.

New Scion Tc

Used 2008 Altima Coupe

Used Mazda 6

Used VW GLI

and the biggie...

Used Chrysler Crossfire

Ok so here's the breakdown of my pro's and cons for each

TC- rather plain vehicle and i'm not super fond of the styling, apparently it's also going to get redesigned for 2010 and get the better 2.5L engine. It's also very common and i'd rather have a vehicle that i don't pass 10 of on the way to school. Gets good gas mileage, but not great. Can't really beat the price for a new vehicle, and the used ones hold their value extremely well. ~18k new

Used Altima Coupe - This one is very attractive. I was very surprised when i saw this in person and really like the vehicle. The interior is ugly as funk as it is taupe/camel cloth but i like the idea of it not getting hot as fuck. The gas mileage is fantastic as the one i'm looking at has the 4cyl, but it also has the CVT tranny that i'm not a fan of. I can't afford one of these new so i get exactly what i want but the used one i'm looking at has less than 4k on the ticker and is marked at $25k (w/o negotiating).

Used Mazda 6 - good gas mileage, a little bigger and not as attractive, not really very fond of this one but had to put it up.

Used VW GLI - Really like this car as well, classier than the maxima but black on black will be hot. This one's mileage is around 24k but the price is $19k

Crossfire - these can be had all day long for $15-17k with less than 15k miles. No back seat hurts a little but i never use the stratus's backseat unless i'm throwing groceries in it, and the crossfire has a decent sized trunk for a tiny coupe. The plus for this one is that it is sexy as hell and fun to drive, not ungodly fast but more than enough for spirited driving to raise the pulse a little. The downside is the advertised MPG though i hear they usually get 25-30 on the highway and that around town rarely drops much below that. 99% of my commute is interstate so i should come quite close to highway driving mileage all the time. (note advertised is 19/25 for the auto and like 15/23 for the manual). Oh also the 6spd is a huge plus for me on this one.

So basically if any of you know a reason to stay away from any of these vehicles, please chime in now.

I am huge and I think the crossfire is not an atractive car from a distance, I never walked up to one.

You're a smaller guy, I would recomend the crossfire. My rational is this, if you liked being in it, it was quick enough for you, and the ride was good enough, it's the cheepest of the bunch. You only get groceries. I would LOVE a 2 seater actualy. Then I could tell free loaders "no room" unless they are a real cute brunette that wants to sit on my wifes lap. :D Pluss it shares a heritage with MB. It's an older platform, but really who gives a dang? Unless someone can chime in and say they are horrible in reliability, or cost a mint to fix, I say go for it. And I agree 6 speed is great. I alomst completely discard fun cars if they don't have a manual.

=)

A TC new is like throwing money away, unless you really like the car.

The VW is a GREAT option, but me and my friends have had 5-6 VW's between us all, and though they were great fun to drive and they are laid out nice, they have ALL had electrical issues, and it's insane what it costs to get it fixed. I got good deals with a local mechanic, but I would say with all the longer term reliability issues, I wouldn't spend more for it than I would for anything else.

The nissan. It costs too much. for 25 K you could find anything. You could have something amazing! Benz e55 AMG with under 50k miles. An older porsche... 25 k is too much for a car that isn't awesome.

I know NOTHING about mazda save that they use the wankel.

TC- rather plain vehicle and i'm not super fond of the styling, apparently it's also going to get redesigned for 2010 and get the better 2.5L engine. It's also very common and i'd rather have a vehicle that i don't pass 10 of on the way to school. Gets good gas mileage, but not great. Can't really beat the price for a new vehicle, and the used ones hold their value extremely well. ~18k new

The only big plus I see here is brand new car ... but you'll get a warranty with the others as well. If I was buying a car for gas mileage and was considering the tC you can bet I would be looking at a Civic even more.

Used Altima Coupe - This one is very attractive. I was very surprised when i saw this in person and really like the vehicle. The interior is ugly as funk as it is taupe/camel cloth but i like the idea of it not getting hot as fuck. The gas mileage is fantastic as the one i'm looking at has the 4cyl, but it also has the CVT tranny that i'm not a fan of. I can't afford one of these new so i get exactly what i want but the used one i'm looking at has less than 4k on the ticker and is marked at $25k (w/o negotiating).

What about the CVT is it that you do not like? Otherwise, nice car - I looked at them while searching for the 300.

Used Mazda 6 - good gas mileage, a little bigger and not as attractive, not really very fond of this one but had to put it up.

I sure as hell wouldn't dump my hard earned money into something I didn't find attractive or wasn't very fond of. Seriously.

Used VW GLI - Really like this car as well, classier than the maxima but black on black will be hot. This one's mileage is around 24k but the price is $19k

I can only say that I think it is a decent looking vehicle and have no knowledge of reliability/performance.

Crossfire - these can be had all day long for $15-17k with less than 15k miles. No back seat hurts a little but i never use the stratus's backseat unless i'm throwing groceries in it, and the crossfire has a decent sized trunk for a tiny coupe. The plus for this one is that it is sexy as hell and fun to drive, not ungodly fast but more than enough for spirited driving to raise the pulse a little. The downside is the advertised MPG though i hear they usually get 25-30 on the highway and that around town rarely drops much below that. 99% of my commute is interstate so i should come quite close to highway driving mileage all the time. (note advertised is 19/25 for the auto and like 15/23 for the manual). Oh also the 6spd is a huge plus for me on this one.

You typed so much about this one because it is the one that doesn't fit in with the rest of the cars being considered and you felt the need to justify it :lol: (just kidding) I haven't heard of too many problems with these.

Long story short ... drive 'em all and see what you like best. If you find out about major problems with your top pick, it may be time to look at the second. Just don't go piss away hard earned money on something you aren't 100% sure about - get exactly what you want. I was DEAD set on going with a CTS ... but clearly I didn't wind up with one.

A couple year old Charger R/T (340hp and still 23-26MPG on the highway if you use the MDS) is in your price range. Same for an '07 Accord, '05-'06 G35, etc.

I didn't think about G35 either.

Just to drive captain canada's point home harder. I was thinking the same about the crossfire, it was a preforgone conclusion.

check this out WOW factor.

I am not suggesting you buy this, but it's under warranty still. It will definately make you smile to hit the gas. It has High miles, but it also has all the paper work for tune ups etc, and at 7k less than your nissan you can cover most any repair cost.

Keep your options open, and yes, drive everything you are interested in. I never would have purchased an SUV EVER. I hated them. Then I got into my expedition, and now I commute with it. ( I have a MUCH shorter commute than you)

:o

The only big plus I see here is brand new car ... but you'll get a warranty with the others as well. If I was buying a car for gas mileage and was considering the tC you can bet I would be looking at a Civic even more.

What about the CVT is it that you do not like? Otherwise, nice car - I looked at them while searching for the 300.

I sure as hell wouldn't dump my hard earned money into something I didn't find attractive or wasn't very fond of. Seriously.

I can only say that I think it is a decent looking vehicle and have no knowledge of reliability/performance.

You typed so much about this one because it is the one that doesn't fit in with the rest of the cars being considered and you felt the need to justify it :lol: (just kidding) I haven't heard of too many problems with these.

Long story short ... drive 'em all and see what you like best. If you find out about major problems with your top pick, it may be time to look at the second. Just don't go piss away hard earned money on something you aren't 100% sure about - get exactly what you want. I was DEAD set on going with a CTS ... but clearly I didn't wind up with one.

A couple year old Charger R/T (340hp and still 23-26MPG on the highway if you use the MDS) is in your price range. Same for an '07 Accord, '05-'06 G35, etc.

I'm not one to jump in to any sort of decision which is why i'm doing this. I really appreciate you and dem's opinions/help.

Tc VS Civic, i drove both of these and liked the Tc way more which is why the civic isn't on the list. civic seemed extremely cheap on the inside and i just didn't like the way it drove.

Not a fan of the CVT because i just don't feel like it applies the power the way I like, it has the shifttronic thing so i can still shift it, so i can deal with it, but i'd prefer the 6spd.

I"ll finish this up later, classes are changing

Mazda 6 is on there because i haven't driven it, and that's the only reason.

What i've driven thus far.....

Crossfire with auto

Mini Cooper S with auto (turbo version)

Civic SI with manual

Altima 2.5 w/CVT

TC with 5spd

--maybe others that i can't remember ATM

Hands down the most fun was the cooper, but it has too many drawbacks for me to consider it.

The altima and the crossfire are the most attractive in my book, with the altima easily winning for MPG but classy is crossfire hands down and the crossfire was much more fun to drive than the altima.

the altima's 20gallon tank and up to 38mpg highway is a huge huge plus that's not frequent fillups at all

Those are both viable (and much cooler than my truck) options, but when I pull out the magnifying glass I see this...

I honestly think that 25K is too much but I agree that is appealing to not have to fill up as often, but if you kept the change and got the crosfire, you would be able to save 10k plus interest.

The only strong point between your top contenders is MPG. I don't think the difference in mileage will cover the difference in how much you will pay in payments/interest.

what Mazda 6 are you looking at?

the 6S's are much nicer than the i's.

I've got a 6 S-hatch I'll sell ya cheap.. :)

the s-hatch is great for a stereo and gets decent milage... I get 23/28, nice and quick to boot.

own mine for 14k

prewired with 1/0 and sound deadened

DSCN2405.jpg

I'm buying a 2 door hatch of some sort_no wife and my son is big enough not to use a car seat.. no more 4-door :)

I'm looking at volvo c30's VW GTI or R32, mini cooper(small cargo space really hurt this one)

once again, 25k is what's on the window, no way i'll actually pay that.

I'm a little surprised the Crossfire is rated for better fuel economy with the automatic than the 6spd. Maybe they figure if you get the manual you'd be more likely to flog it regularly...

My sister-in-law has a TC, and I just think it's ok. Pretty ugly IMO, but the interior is fairly solid feeling.

One of my friends has a Mazda 6, and I think it's pretty good. I only rode in it for about 1 minute though.

Crossfires look cool, aside from being a bit small. Have you checked insurance on all these yet? I figure the Crossfire would be the highest. That might be something to consider as well.

I think Altimas look good. Never driven/ridden in one though.

Your tastes for what looks good may be different than mine though. And like has been said, don't get something if you really don't want it. If even the smallest thing goes wrong it's a lot easier to start hating your car if you didn't quite like it as much in the first place. But for me, if I really like the style and feel, I forgive those hiccups and remain happy a lot easier.

Insurance is another factor as this will be paid straight out of my pocket. Strangely enough though, the crossfire is the cheapest of all the cars so far. Liability (not that i'd get it) is under $20/month. The altima is the highest(IIRC) but not so bad that i'd make me not get it.

I think i'm going to drive an altima with the 5sp this weekend, and i'm now reading that the 6sd in the crossfire isn't exactly "nice" though i'd want to drive one to tell for myself.

The charger is out, i'm too small for all those frame vehicles and just not very fond of them in general. I hate the idea of building a vehicle to be heavy as fuck then adding a big engine to it. If they were to shed 500-1k lbs i'd be all over them.

Matt, personally I would choose either the Mazda or VW. As my personal bias or preference is fairly strong on these cars, I will just state the two I prefer. But also remember, you are getting a gussied down SLK with the crossfire, so you know it is a very solid car as far as chassis goes.

And the crossfire is a RWD, which is good :-)

once again, 25k is what's on the window, no way i'll actually pay that.

sure but all of the cars come with a negotiable price.

My point is that unless you like one car way more, or it does something that the others won't utility wise, it's going to be the highest priced of them all.

Tc is non-negotiable, the crossfire is going to have only a small amount of wiggle room as well.

i get what you're saying about price though, but if i get it to within a couple grand of the others i'll be happy (note i can get a new one without all the frills for low 20s easily)

the altima is really getting me because of the 20gallon tank and reportedly up to 38mpg highway, that's a long time between fillups.

Ok so it's time to retire stratusfaction. This vehicle will be used for my HUGE daily commute to school of 30miles round trip, lol. Now here's what i've narrowed it to so far.

New Scion Tc

Used 2008 Altima Coupe

Used Mazda 6

Used VW GLI

and the biggie...

Used Chrysler Crossfire

New Scion Tc

stupid, its new and a HUGE waste of money

Used 2008 Altima Coupe

way too new, you will lose your ass

Used Mazda 6

if its older why not

Used VW GLI

Why the GLI, get something a bit older and more fun

and the biggie...

Used Chrysler Crossfire

if the price is right

I think you are nuts. A $20k car is $500/month + gas & insurance. 30mi each way is nothing (60mi * 180 days= 10800mi/yr + some extra personal) so you really shouldn't be looking at things so new. If you want to throw away 30% of the purchase price of the car go ahead, but considering you are in school and your disposable income is limited because of it you should really use your money for something else. Personally if I were you, I'd be looking for something that is fully loaded, 5 years old and has around 75k mi on it. Drive it for school and when you are done by a real car. Throwing away money you don't have is crazy.

I realize I am a cheap ass, to put things in perspective I haven't ever paid more than 4 months worth of my current house payments for a car. Not for the M, not for the Audi, not for my truck. Obviously I "could" spend more, but from a financial perspective it is asinine. Just my $.02

i would personally go for the gli hands down. it has a huge trunk, and it is a perfect balance of a classy/sporty car. and best of all it has a turbo so if ever you feel the need to have more power you can "chip" the car (reflash the ecu) and squueze 300hp out of that engine for about 500$ at your local speed shop. i believe you can even buy a little computer that you plug into your ecu and you can switch back and forth between stock hp and modded hp in a mtter of minutes, seeing as how your worried about mileage and want performance at the same time.

edit: im totally biased towards german cars btw.

Edited by Triple_P

my big issue with this car is that it won't be paid for out of my pocket (well not at the moment). It will have to be paid for by the people that spoil me most. The problem is that they are REALLLLLLLLY pushing for a new car. They don't want me with anything more than a couple years old and definitely not with significant miles.

If it was me paying with my money i'd be looking to spend about 14k and looking at a completely different class of cars.

Not at the moment? They want you to waste your money in the future now?

i would personally go for the gli hands down. it has a huge trunk, and it is a perfect balance of a classy/sporty car. and best of all it has a turbo so if ever you feel the need to have more power you can "chip" the car (reflash the ecu) and squueze 300hp out of that engine for about 500$ at your local speed shop. i believe you can even buy a little computer that you plug into your ecu and you can switch back and forth between stock hp and modded hp in a mtter of minutes, seeing as how your worried about mileage and want performance at the same time.

edit: im totally biased towards german cars btw.

I've thought about this as well, i love the balance between sporty/classy and it doesn't look like a kid's car like the altima or the GTI

The only thing is i would love to hear from some owners and get some more reliability reports.

Not at the moment? They want you to waste your money in the future now?

lol basically. i will be paying some of it back to them but since it's their money going towards it i don't have as much say as i'd like.

That's also not to say i can't sway them but i'd need a very solid car to be able to do that. every time i even suggest used i get the same reply with the same tone "you know how i feel about used cars"

So get something that is at least 2 years old, 20k or so miles and is certified for 100k. That way you can show them you are being smart by saving > 35% from the original price and getting better warranty coverage.

what were the cooper's drawbacks? (save that you drove the auto, tisk, tisk) can't be room, especially if you are looking at a crossfire. i'm 6'2" and fit just fine. if backseats are just for grocieries (my son rides in the back comfortably behind his short mom, he's 5'9". we have gone 4 deep no issues. i've plenty of room to scoot forward), then the car is perfect. they hold their value, we are averaging 28mpg combined, with very spirited driving. (hard not to drive the car that way, lol) they seem to fit what you are looking for.

well, maybe not price wise. but i'm curious as to the drawbacks. and i like sean's last post. i think that says a lot ansd should direct you towards the cars you should be buying.

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer: