sundownz

Playing with Big Boy Monster 15"

i was shocked when i read that a 2nd baffle gained you 0.6dBs... i almost ran out to add a 2nd baffle myself.. :lol:

btw, did you test it with the port facing forward or sideways? (i assume you would have tested with the port facing back..)

i like the port design btw..

Reading>You.

He said he also used an iPod, which was another variable they changed.

150.1 is a crazy score

realy good friend of mine uses the 15" mtx rfl with 2 mtx thunder x3000d amps

with a box strictly build for SPL ONLY

his best score was a 150.4 at 59hz

^and that's in a small mazda 323

now i would say the big boy proto is a realy crazy sub with huge potential

We have not played with box position AT ALL yet :) We just centered the box and started metering. I am going down my "to-do" list one thing at a time to see how far we can take it!

Congrats on the score. 61hz, right ? :)

50 Hz on the 150.1 score - dropped from 53 Hz when we did the 149.5 with the old head unit and single baffle.

Congrats on the score. 61hz, right ? :)

50 Hz on the 150.1 score - dropped from 53 Hz when we did the 149.5 with the old head unit and single baffle.

Sweetness !

fing05.gif

Seems that voice coil former wraps simply cannot hold up to the Monster Sub... noticed it starting making a funny sound when I press on the cone after some HARD music demoing. Even the much better nomex wrap material is pulling off of the voice coil former.

I may need to tool up something to get a larger glue joint to spread out the load and hold the coil at the top of the former... this is what testing is for! Our latest gluing methods are holding 100% - it is the voice coil wrap itself from the coil manufacturer that is failing.

Of course, this also gives me the opportunity to build it up w/ the 12-layer and see if it is louder :)

I am pretty sure it could have kept on burping with no problems for a LONG time - even with more power. I think that music with 6kw on tap is what caused the damage. I suppose I should have expected something to give out with that much power!

We will work on a solution to make it even more durable, though :)

. Even the much better nomex wrap material is pulling off of the voice coil former.

I may need to tool up something to get a larger glue joint to spread out the load and hold the coil at the top of the former

lol nice

maybe a thin composite 1 inch long collar to slide over the coil, with glue?

that way you have a large amount of surface area contacting to former wrap.

We'll figure out something I'm sure.

Of course, it is already quite a success as I am quite comfortable saying this thing will handle a BUNCH of burp power and a few thousand watts day to day without issue - but 6000 watts "daily" is a bit much :)

We'll figure out something I'm sure.

Of course, it is already quite a success as I am quite comfortable saying this thing will handle a BUNCH of burp power and a few thousand watts day to day without issue - but 6000 watts "daily" is a bit much :)

Well I don't know of any subs that will take 6k daily anyways.

We will work on re-building it with the 12-layer and at least one of our ideas for increased durability tomorrow! :)

We will work on re-building it with the 12-layer and at least one of our ideas for increased durability tomorrow! :)

Sounds good. Have you found a name for it yet?

Lampshade? just kidding... kiddding ..... kidding.. don't kill me...

*laughs*

I have had two independent suggestions for "Night Stalker" - thoughts ?

I do know that my cooling system is working GREAT... at enough power to tear off the former wrap the coil is good as new thermally:

Big_Boy_Cut_Down1.jpg

* This is the actual coil - our sharpie marks aren't even burnt off :)

Big_Boy_Cut_Wrap.jpg

* You can see the wrap is crinkled up

Big_Boy_Cut_Wrap2.jpg

* Down like an accordion!

would there be any diffrence if it would be a flatwound coil like on the sx or mt's?

greetings, peter

*whos solo x coil didn't look not near as good as the big boy one after 6kw for music

sorry i dont wanna weed through the whole post, are those all hard spiders?

Three hard and two medium.

would there be any diffrence if it would be a flatwound coil like on the sx or mt's?

greetings, peter

*whos solo x coil didn't look not near as good as the big boy one after 6kw for music

The "SPL" coil is a flat-wound - the round is the daily coil.

We are re-building with the SPL coil this time to see what it does - we have never tested the SPL coil before so it is exciting!

*laughs*

I liked the names I picked out better.

:(.

LOL. I can't even remember them.

*laughs*

I liked the names I picked out better.

:(.

LOL. I can't even remember them.

wat about

THE DAYMAKER

or

DARKNESS FALLS