sundownz

Playing with Big Boy Monster 15"

Driving back to the shop w/ the sub and 12-layer coil installed... still sounds good. So that is a plus!

We'll meter it soon.

I'm on he edge of my seat in suspense waiting to hear how much of an improvment it is :unsure::wacko::blink::faintthud:

I'm very bored here at work now if you couldn't tell either fing05.gif

We don't have a perfect scientific method this time either - as we added some re-enforcements to try and keep the coil in one piece mechanically, this added some mass - hopefully that won't cancel out the added BL!

The 12-layer is 13 grams lighter than the 8-layer but we actually added 41 grams of mass with our re-enforcements to hold the coil wrap together... despite the added mass we gained:

CIMG1205.JPG

Not too shabby :)

The 12-layer is lighter? I figured it would actually be heavier. :shrug: Non the less, it just keeps getting better.

The 12-layer is lighter? I figured it would actually be heavier. :shrug: Non the less, it just keeps getting better.

It has a shorter winding height - so it actually came out a bit lighter :)

It has a shorter winding height - so it actually came out a bit lighter :)

Ahh, this explains alot :drink40: Cool, I definetly like how this is going, and where it's going.

hmm with the 12 layer coil im sure it can take more power correct?

if so ...is it safe to say the 12layer version doing a 150.5 is a sandbagging score?

Call it the DTD which is the abreviation for (dusk to dawn). i erased it from my above post earlier, but you want letter designations right Jake?

hmm with the 12 layer coil im sure it can take more power correct?

if so ...is it safe to say the 12layer version doing a 150.5 is a sandbagging score?

We never found the burp limits of the 8-layer coil - it was as good as new thermally.

So yah, both coils will take WAY more on a burp. We don't know the limits yet!

Ooooh I like Nightmare a lot, that sounds like a winner.....

This thing is a beast, definitely interesting to say the least.

yes i agree nitemare....cuz it will give other subs nitemares

:P

Let's do it.

I can't wait to see the final results of all this testing.

What a beastly sub!

Edited by nick_19

i d like to see what that sub will do on some music.like for daily or bassrace!!jacob,what do u think it'll handle power wise on music?

i d like to see what that sub will do on some music.like for daily or bassrace!!jacob,what do u think it'll handle power wise on music?

Alot. We play music on it with the four 1500s for short periods.

---

Dropped it in a vehicle @ the show this past weekend in Roseboro, NC (Competition Only) and it gained vs. an RE MT -- the box was WAY too big for the beast but it was still louder by a fair bit on the same power, and continued to get louder on double the power where the MT dropped off due to power compression.

Here are a few pics and a vid of the Beast in action. The car was a Dodge Neon that competes in our stock Trunk class. Power was provided via a pair of Memphis 4kds.

100_1295.jpg

100_1293.jpg

100_1294.jpg

100_1299.jpg

This was sealed on the dash. His previous score with the RE MT was a 149.9.

100_1298.jpg

Vid of if in action.

[url="http://s18.photobucket.com/albums/b126/derrick824/CompOnly/20%20Sep%2008/?action=view

Edited by Derrick824

Cool :) Didn't realize you did a video too!

Thanks!

Yeah, I had to get some kind of vid after seeing how much that thing was moving. Also that vid was taken with my sorry Kodak digicam. It sucks for vids so everyone keep in mind that the sub movement was much more violent in person.

Alot. We play music on it with the four 1500s for short periods.

---

Dropped it in a vehicle @ the show this past weekend in Roseboro, NC (Competition Only) and it gained vs. an RE MT -- the box was WAY too big for the beast but it was still louder by a fair bit on the same power, and continued to get louder on double the power where the MT dropped off due to power compression.

i may have missed it, but what coil is in it? the 8 layer or 12 layer?