1200 bandit

Resin in box?

Hi, I have been using fiberglass resin in my boxes for years Does resin help spl because the box is harder or does the resin help with the sound wave, maybe the speed of the wave.I just want to no if I need to resin or not .My spl numbers or the same with or without.Thanks for any help.

Other than helping sealing up the box and semi rounding corners,...ive never seen a difference in spl numbers........ive seen people using resin on thr inside and outside of boxes to prevent humidity from slowly seeking into the mdf wood and making it weaker.......

Other than helping sealing up the box and semi rounding corners,...ive never seen a difference in spl numbers........ive seen people using resin on thr inside and outside of boxes to prevent humidity from slowly seeking into the mdf wood and making it weaker.......
O.K. that sound good I think that"s my only reason to.Thanks

ok glad i could help...

Hi, I have been using fiberglass resin in my boxes for years Does resin help spl because the box is harder or does the resin help with the sound wave, maybe the speed of the wave.I just want to no if I need to resin or not .My spl numbers or the same with or without.Thanks for any help.

If it's the same with or without, then sealing with resin will just add moisture resistance. :)

What would be the cause of increase due to putting resin on the walls? Increased stiffness? If so, what not go the whole way, and put some glassfiber on at the same time?

it makes the box more sturdier, and seals it very well

it makes the box more sturdier, and seals it very well

It seals fairly well but does not make the box sturdier, adding mat would help with sturdiness but it would be better to use bracing.

it does a little, not to the extent of what bracing would do though

If you want to do a little experiment, take some resin with nothing else added, let it cure into solid form, and see how sturdy it is :)

Resin on MDF has no added structural benefit, adding glass to it would, but at that point it's money that's better spent elsewhere.

It doesn't strengthen, but weakens. Without the actual glass it isn't a good idea to use it at all.

If you want to do a little experiment, take some resin with nothing else added, let it cure into solid form, and see how sturdy it is :)

Resin on MDF has no added structural benefit, adding glass to it would, but at that point it's money that's better spent elsewhere.

lol its pretty sturdy, i used silicon and straight resin for the box i built for my friends 15's and the left over i had in the cup dried up, i couldnt hardly even break it with a hammer.

i made sure i put the right amount of hardner so it didnt crack any. but why isnt it a good idea to use it m5?

Edited by RobClay

and were yall thinking of resin without the hardner lol?

Nope. Your assumptions are wrong, it will weaken MDF and NOT strengthen it.

I have used resin for years in my box. It helps around .5dB.

For standalone boxes, the trick is to not just slop it in, but to pour enough so that it pools.

Push it up the sides a little with a brush and then you tip the box side to side, front to back to get a good flat surface.

You can rough up the MDF some with 40 grit or drill slight recesses in the wood to allow the resin to grab the mdf if you are worried it will come off.

It does take time as you have to let the resin cure on each side before starting the next side, but at the end, you have nice and slippery box inside :D

I've also seen formica used inside boxes as well to make things as smooth as possible, not to mention steel :lol:

scoob_atomic_008.jpg

scoob_atomic_009.jpg

Edited by DeeCee

it makes the box more sturdier

Want to put some money on that ? Seal yes, smooth the interior for better surface area if applied correctly yes, strengthen nope :)

Nope. Your assumptions are wrong, it will weaken MDF and NOT strengthen it.

Elaborate please? (I am curious)

The strength of a box is in its construction and wood thickness based on density.

The resin is used as a gap sealer and to provide a smoother surface for airflow.

Fibreglass resin, be it polyester or epoxy based, does not have strength in itself. The strength comes from using fibreglass with the resin, laminating the fibreglass layers until strong.

So resin will not result in strength but just seal the box internally and make a smoother surface.

I would disagree that resin will weaken a box. I have seen no signs of weakness at joins or within the wood itself with resin added over the years i have been using this technique.

The resin is a laminate layer that hardens after attaching to the porous surface of the wood. The only thing that would happen is that the laminate would come up if the wood was not prepared properly, had a layer of something that the resin could not attach to or a hot mixture (more catalyst makes resin brittle - use a 2% catalyst to resin ratio at room temp for normal use) was used to set the resin.

I have seen delamination inside the box with hot mixtures and SPL produced inside the box. The guy was in too much of a hurry and def not patient ad he had a comp to attend lol.

Edited by DeeCee

The strength of a box is in its construction and wood thickness based on density.

The resin is used as a gap sealer and to provide a smoother surface for airflow.

Fibreglass resin, be it polyester or epoxy based, does not have strength in itself. The strength comes from using fibreglass with the resin, laminating the fibreglass layers until strong.

So resin will not result in strength but just seal the box internally and make a smoother surface.

I would disagree that resin will weaken a box. I have seen no signs of weakness at joins or within the wood itself with resin added over the years i have been using this technique.

The resin is a laminate layer that hardens after attaching to the porous surface of the wood. The only thing that would happen is that the laminate would come up if the wood was not prepared properly, had a layer of something that the resin could not attach to or a hot mixture (more catalyst makes resin brittle - use a 2% catalyst to resin ratio at room temp for normal use) was used to set the resin.

I have seen delamination inside the box with hot mixtures and SPL produced inside the box. The guy was in too much of a hurry and def not patient ad he had a comp to attend lol.

Thank you very much for that bit of info and the pics to deminstrate! :drink40: I will definately imploy this method on my box for next year! :bigclap: