mrray13

Welcome to the IHoP

Managed to prod, grope, and generally molest both of Green Mountain Grills' models, most (if not all) of Traeger's, and all four BGE's while I was up there.

While I love the length the barrel smokers offer (great for packer briskets), a BGE XL is definitely in my future; especially with a good controller and a few accessories

I'm too lazy to look so Sean, which controller did you get again? Stoker? Guru? Also, do they make one that can get up to 500F? (not a requirement, just curious)

Sean got the rock. I probably will ape that decision myself.

One thing I did notice is that the BGE temp gauge only goes up to 750; what would that translate to grill surface temp? About 1,000 or so?

About the surface of the sun.

I have left tongs across the vent at the top of the BGE and had them glowing.

On the grate I've never seen that glowing so I'm not sure but it's got to 1000 or better.

Any one else watch the American top gear today. A dog pissed on their stage. :lol2:

That show is horrible. If they didn't have cool cars on there, I would never watch it. It's borderline right now.

One thing I did notice is that the BGE temp gauge only goes up to 750; what would that translate to grill surface temp? About 1,000 or so?

Its pretty much convection which means nearly equal everywhere, plus heat rises and there is only one way out.

Yes, I know there are variations but not sure what as I haven't bothered to measure. I do know that I could peg my gauge easily and mine only goes to 700 or 750 as well. Hell I got it so hot that the glass shattered and it doesn't work now anyways :P

The typical metal coil thermometer are fairly inaccurate and need to be calibrated every so often, I love/prefer digital thermometers.

Any one else watch the American top gear today. A dog pissed on their stage. :lol2:

That show is horrible. If they didn't have cool cars on there, I would never watch it. It's borderline right now.

I thought they tried pretty hard on that show and certainly did a lot of things right, but it is just not the same.

There will not ever be a show as good as the British Top Gear.

Also, it may seem like the American Top Gear is not very good, but you must keep in mind the beginning of the British Top Gear was not very good either.

Just have to keep watching.

RIP Leslie Nielsen

J

The typical metal coil thermometer are fairly inaccurate and need to be calibrated every so often, I love/prefer digital thermometers.

The typical digital thermometer are fairly inaccurate and need to be calibrated every so often, I love/prefer thermocouples.

The typical digital thermometer are fairly inaccurate and need to be calibrated every so often, I love/prefer thermocouples.

The typical wood thermometer is fairly innaccurate and in need to be replaced all the time, I love/prefer a real thermomer.

J

Fake thermometer T0P

J

Thermocouples are nice. Do they make controllers that have a meat probe, grill temp probe, and air temp probe so it can run it through an algorithm, give estimated cook time, and notify you when it has reached your desired temp?

Thermocouples are nice. Do they make controllers that have a meat probe, grill temp probe, and air temp probe so it can run it through an algorithm, give estimated cook time, and notify you when it has reached your desired temp?

Hey now guys :(

oh.. Thats what i meant by Digital Thermometers... i didn't know they were called thermocouples

I thought they tried pretty hard on that show and certainly did a lot of things right, but it is just not the same.

There will not ever be a show as good as the British Top Gear.

Also, it may seem like the American Top Gear is not very good, but you must keep in mind the beginning of the British Top Gear was not very good either.

Just have to keep watching.

No, they have to invent their own personalities and do it their own way, not follow Clarkson, Hammond, and Captain Slow.

The typical wood thermometer is fairly innaccurate and in need to be replaced all the time, I love/prefer a real thermomer.

J

Can't go wrong with mercury and sticking it in a bitch's butt.

J

Can't go wrong with mercury and sticking it in a bitch's butt.

Agreed.

Meat isn't consistent enough to give an estimated cook time.

oh.. Thats what i meant by Digital Thermometers... i didn't know they were called thermocouples

Most digital thermometers are not thermocouples but a cheap resistor that is LESS accurate than most analog ones.

My meat is consistent.

My meat is consistent.

Well then you should know the general doneness of your meat ;)

My meat is consistent.

Well then you should know the general doneness of your meat ;)

I'll never complain getting my meat done.

Most digital thermometers are not thermocouples but a cheap resistor that is LESS accurate than most analog ones.

Yeah, thermistors can't hold a candle to a thermocouple

*gropes new Thermapen*