mrray13

Welcome to the IHoP

Got a question for you technically advanced guys.

I am looking for a device to store engine data for a specified amount of time that I can hook a computer to (via 3G, Wifi, Bluetooth, Direct cable, etc..) and pull the engine data off for analysis.

I will most likely be plugging it in to some sort of "off-road" vehicle (e.g. Rubber Tire Loader, Grader, Excavator). One problem I have is that I don't know the diagnostic connections available on these vehicles (if they are even available) but that is actually something I can work around by picking different vehicles if I must.

I'm mostly concerned with finding a product that has the ability to store data that I can tap into every once in a while and pull all the data off. Data I'm looking to collect includes engine revolutions, oil temp, vehicle speed, etc...

Any ideas?

It will be manufacturer specific. Just like vehicles all the software and much of the hardware is different and manufacturer specific. I am sure there are aftermarket for these, but access to the tools may be limited. All good diagnostics tools will have serial, USB, or some other form of data transfer.

IIRC, Snap-On makes add-ons to do heavy equipment scanning.

I'm hoping for something like this

http://www.caflor.net/heavyduty.html

I don't know if that will work with Cat stuff, but I can tell you, I have wired many Cat generators and have had to have technicians come out several times for issues with them. They all had proprietary equipment for diagnosis, but this could have been exclusive to the generators. The generators all all computer-controller as well and one micro-processor controlled all engine and generator functions. You should have a local Cat service place nearby you could contact.

Mad at the city for taking my loot, then saying my bad come gets it, then not picking up the phone TOP.

Sue them for $100 for emotional trauma. ;)

WIN !

Got a question for you technically advanced guys.

I am looking for a device to store engine data for a specified amount of time that I can hook a computer to (via 3G, Wifi, Bluetooth, Direct cable, etc..) and pull the engine data off for analysis.

I will most likely be plugging it in to some sort of "off-road" vehicle (e.g. Rubber Tire Loader, Grader, Excavator). One problem I have is that I don't know the diagnostic connections available on these vehicles (if they are even available) but that is actually something I can work around by picking different vehicles if I must.

I'm mostly concerned with finding a product that has the ability to store data that I can tap into every once in a while and pull all the data off. Data I'm looking to collect includes engine revolutions, oil temp, vehicle speed, etc...

Any ideas?

I would actually give Caterpillar a call, I'm assuming that you are doing this for your grad class/research and see if they have anything that can do such things.

Why Caterpillar? Is this for them? If so, make them loan you a SOMAT. :)

Otherwise details of the sensors are necessary for us to help as that can drastically change the price of the acquisition system. As a reference, typically manufacturers pay close to $50k for that capability, but there are much cheaper options.

It actually may be a Cat product we test (not sure how Ryan2 knew that). We are looking for something that in the long run the company could continue to use, but instead of us doing research it would be them pulling the numbers sticking them into a program we developed and getting feedback.

More info on the sensors please

I don't know if that will work with Cat stuff, but I can tell you, I have wired many Cat generators and have had to have technicians come out several times for issues with them. They all had proprietary equipment for diagnosis, but this could have been exclusive to the generators. The generators all all computer-controller as well and one micro-processor controlled all engine and generator functions. You should have a local Cat service place nearby you could contact.

Easily cracked by any of the dyno manufacturers, but again that is why I ask about the sensors. Many of them might just be analog outs which opens all sorts of other options.

By dyno, I meant dyno cell. Huge difference. Would edit, but this is da hop.

:turkey:

Easily cracked by any of the dyno manufacturers, but again that is why I ask about the sensors. Many of them might just be analog outs which opens all sorts of other options.

Everything should be analog, with the possible exception of the ignition. They just send a voltage (range) out to the computer.

I was hoping to sleep in today, but Gavin's not one for sleeping in.

A warm smile and a hug are better than sleeping in.

Cant agree more.

HAPPY TURKEY DAY ALL!!!

J

So if anyone gets board, I'm looking for threads that show the process of modding an 02 Silverado dash bezel for 2 DIN receivers

Stuffed to the gills with good food!

Question guys...

How do the AA CF mids do Sealed? or are they IB only? gotta build some door pods and not sure what to do about sealing vs not.

Also what should i X them over at? and same for the Havoc Tweeter?

peepwall.gif

How about a big wet fart and a kick to the face?

Childs version of a warm smile (I'm sure the fart was warm), and of a hug (he tried to wrap his leg around ya)

J

Childs version of a warm smile (I'm sure the fart was warm), and of a hug (he tried to wrap his leg around ya)

J

That is what little boys are about ;)

That was a pretty good nap, fell asleep in my chair at work. Damn turkey

Goddamn what a boring day. I seriously could of stayed in my room all fucking day.

J