mrray13

Welcome to the IHoP

Hey Neal, thats awesome your kid likes good classic rock.

Riding was great yesterday. Other than I can't believe how much trash lowlife dirtbags dump on public land. I counted atleast 6 couches and 3 or 4 mattresses, not to mention all the other trash.

God how you would hate to see Iraq LOL.

J

Sounds like a dump.

Something like this:

http://harrisburg.craigslist.org/msg/2237112881.html

or this

http://williamsport.craigslist.org/msg/2264105334.html

Would be a WAY better way to spend a $100+. Not sure what his is worth used, but those will pretty much always be worth what you pay for them. Take his, sell it, add the pickup money to something else and grab it.

*A little more research would be good as it has been more than 20 years since I went guitar shopping. I play an 82 Ibanez and a 56 Gibson. Both are worth more than I paid for them. :)

Just make sure the neck is straight and nothing is warped. ie, have his teacher play it :)

Ok thanks Sean. I will talk to my boy about it tonight. We will see what he wants to do.

That is all he listens too.

I forgot to mention the one he has was a gift from his grandmother. So I may end up buying a different one and keeping this one to keep everybody happy.

ALOT of classic rock is in my rotation now, but at his age its all I listened to also. :)

Silvy trannies aren't known for lasting, but I wouldn't bother with that swap

Was about to type up about the 4l60E to 4L80E transmission swap then i remembered you were referring to the engine.

Someone talk me out of buying a prefab sealed box for my SA-12's just to have SOMETHING below 35hz. I can't take staring at the boxes and then going outside and having to play decaf songs with the sub at -7db.... :suicide-santa:

What are these songs you are referring to?

Decaf is the screen name of a guy who mixes music just for us bassheads, I have all his stuff :)

LMAO I thought decaf referred to your songs being decaffeinated. As in your subs can't hand the good stuff so they have to sip decaf

ALOT of classic rock is in my rotation now, but at his age its all I listened to also. :)

You should see his t shirt collection.

Every silvy you see for sale up here with more than120k has a new transmission or rebuily. No idea what they did but I bet they saved a buck where thye shouldn't have

I bet you 8 or 9 times out of 10 they didn't replace the fluid. 4L60's usually fail every 110-120k miles if not properly maintained.

Currently at 160K

sealed for life transmissions might exist, but the 4L60 sure ain't one of them. Also, fuck Dex-Cool.

The 4L/T80E seems to be pretty damn bulletproof. Abuse and neglect will kill anything though. I find it hard to believe that not changing the transmission fluid will kill a 4L60E though. I'm not sure on how many cars go to the junkyard with factory transmission fluid, but I bet its a lot. Now I will believe that they put a severe lack of tranny fluid cooling and that in turn will kill it, but just use, no way.

Problem with the 4L80 is they suffer from large parasitic drag. But when you need bulletproof, that they are.

Edit: Tom corrected me below and I fix0red it

IIRC, that is the 4l60E which is essentially a 700R4, so they are oretty tough unless GM did something fucked up like putting a smaller input shaft in the units for the smaller displacement engines, but I doubt it. They've always made pretty stout transmissions. If I had to pick a weak point, it would be the programming.

the 700R4 and 4L60E are almost identical mechanically. they're decent transmissions, but abuse by a healthy small block (gen 1, 2, or 3) will kill 'em. they've upgraded them over the years. there are now 4L65E and 4L70E variants. If you want practically bulletproof, go with a 4L80E. Or a 6L80E. that would be sweet in a truck with it's ridiculously short first gear (4.xx)

The problem with factory setups in trucks I've been in is the damn torque management software built in, just can't break the tires loose. It is kinda nice pulling heavy trailers up hill in lower traction, but I would rather have torque management be my right foot.

100% disabled on my truck :)

IIRC, that is the 4l60E which is essentially a 700R4, so they are oretty tough unless GM did something fucked up like putting a smaller input shaft in the units for the smaller displacement engines, but I doubt it. They've always made pretty stout transmissions. If I had to pick a weak point, it would be the programming.

the 700R4 and 4L60E are almost identical mechanically. they're decent transmissions, but abuse by a healthy small block (gen 1, 2, or 3) will kill 'em. they've upgraded them over the years. there are now 4L65E and 4L70E variants. If you want practically bulletproof, go with a 4L80E. Or a 6L80E. that would be sweet in a truck with it's ridiculously short first gear (4.xx)

My buddy had a blown (ProCharger) 95 Z and aside from increasing line pressure, the trans was stock. He abused that thing for about 5 years until the rear end finally popped. God that car was frightening.

What I've been told is the extra weight of the truck is what kills the transmission. It holds really well in cars though.

Ok thanks Sean. I will talk to my boy about it tonight. We will see what he wants to do.

No problem. IMO a fake strat (or even a real one) is not what he wants for what he plays.

Check back in a bit.

Someone talk me out of buying a prefab sealed box for my SA-12's just to have SOMETHING below 35hz. I can't take staring at the boxes and then going outside and having to play decaf songs with the sub at -7db.... :suicide-santa:

What are these songs you are referring to?

Decaf is the screen name of a guy who mixes music just for us bassheads, I have all his stuff :)

Does it sound good? How can I listen to this music?

Here is how to get his first ZIP file clicky

He's made 23 of them so far, they will definitely make the sub bass perform.

You should see his t shirt collection.

I am sure I would love to see them.

I am still kicking myself for not buying a Rest in Peace shirt at Megadeth show last year.

Trying to decide what kind of backpack I want to buy.

I feel the calling to get a good pack, but I can get the pack that my friends have used for the last 2 years for $80. I would love something that will last me nearly forever,but thats the difference between $80 and $220.

Going to go to REI this weekend (Can get 20% off any pack) and spend some time getting fitted and I'm sure I'll see the light :P

Fucking scalpers want like 6-700 bucks a ticket for the Posion-Motley Crue show at Red Rocks. Anni would love to see Posion, she has liked them since she was 4. I think it would be better than the Bruno Mars.

For some freaking reason though I'm 6' tall and fit the small torso packs but I always though I had short legs. Where the hell does my height come from then!?!

Anyone know average leg and torso for people.

I'm a smidge over 6' tall

18" Torso (according to REI)

34" Waist, 32" Pants (According to American eagle)

12.5" bicep (irrelevant but measured last night :P)

Trying to decide what kind of backpack I want to buy.

I feel the calling to get a good pack, but I can get the pack that my friends have used for the last 2 years for $80. I would love something that will last me nearly forever,but thats the difference between $80 and $220.

Going to go to REI this weekend (Can get 20% off any pack) and spend some time getting fitted and I'm sure I'll see the light :P

I would base my decision on how much you will use it. I still have the one I bought 15 years ago, but only used it once or twice a year most of the years.