mrray13

Welcome to the IHoP

Curious if anyone has an ingenius idea to help me.

My wakeboard tower is 1 7/8" OD Alum tubing. The rod holder I like the best is for 2" OD Al tubing ( http://www.strykerttops.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=SR100 ). I figure some sort of shim should be enough to make it work. Can't be something that will heat cycle and get old. I will be putting a grill cantlilevered off the holder so it will also need to support some weight. Of course, its for Muskie Rods so they too will be some serious stress on the holder.

I'd prefer a plastic shim as it seems to me duct tape may make a mess.

I think I may have some delrin around here that I could make you a 2pc bushing out of. Its pretty slippery stuff so I don't know if that will work for you or not.

Hey Ryan, how is the Delrin in comparison to UHMW? I use the UHMW for actuator slides and love it, but it wears down quickly as much as they get used and I can't find an oil-imp bushing that will fit.

My wakeboard tower is 1 7/8" OD Alum tubing. The rod holder I like the best is for 2" OD Al tubing ( http://www.strykerttops.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=SR100 ). I figure some sort of shim should be enough to make it work. Can't be something that will heat cycle and get old. I will be putting a grill cantlilevered off the holder so it will also need to support some weight. Of course, its for Muskie Rods so they too will be some serious stress on the holder.

What may be your best option is to buy a piece of butyl rubber and cut it to fit inside to make up the difference. If you do not have access to butyl let me know and I just may be able to find some for you.

Lol at iPhone decibel meters. Just said my system was doing 186 db. I wish.....

Only problem is whatever you use for a shim is likely to act like a bushing and it may never allow full clamping force or enough to not move.

Personally, I would get a sheet of 1/16" ABS, form it around with a heat gun, clamp as hard as you can, then drill and run a SS bolt all the way through.

The good news is that it uses a bushing already. Dont think they want to have their own fancy aluminum towers get all scratched when you attach it. Bad news is I am not sure what it is made from.

I think I may have some delrin around here that I could make you a 2pc bushing out of. Its pretty slippery stuff so I don't know if that will work for you or not.

Interesting. Figure as long as it compresses and we can get some force on it, it "should" be okay.

What may be your best option is to buy a piece of butyl rubber and cut it to fit inside to make up the difference. If you do not have access to butyl let me know and I just may be able to find some for you.

That was more along the lines of what I was thinking, but was concerned that over time it'll compress too far. I need to make up a 1/16" on the full circumference to make it fit (compressed). Wasn't sure how to calculate how thick that was uncompressed.

Lol at iPhone

Indeed

Lol at car audio decibel meters.

x2

Butyl, Delrin, ABS. What's the verdict among the smart mechanical people here?

Any reason I shouldn't order one? If it doesn't work, I am out $50...

Pioneer 4100UB in the boat did something I've never seen a headunit do. Kept the remote on, on. Even when off. ??

Haven't pulled it to see what the guys did that installed it, but amusingly while using it then it turned off and now won't turn on. A quick fuse and re-wire solved my issue and gave me a hard on/off toggle which isn't the worst thing on a boat. Stupid Ipod controller doesn't work on it either. Tried a new Iphone and an original Ipod and neither connected right. :(

Good news with that is that I don't have to buy an Ipod, bad news is that there is no rear analog in...just the stupid connector on the front. Now I "get" to test its voltage limits and see where it'll go to hell so I can determine a mobile media source for the boat.

*somewhat curious on the HDD size that the 4100 will control although it looks like its a real budget entry so not so sure that I care.

That was more along the lines of what I was thinking, but was concerned that over time it'll compress too far. I need to make up a 1/16" on the full circumference to make it fit (compressed). Wasn't sure how to calculate how thick that was uncompressed.

http://www.rubbersheetroll.com/butyl-rubber.htm

Not sure if this link will help you, but you can see how cheap it is. I guess worst case is you buy a thin sheet and wrape the bar and slide the clamp over it to see what will work. The good thing about butyl is it holds up very well in many conditions.

helpTOP

X2

http://www.zenithrubber.com/default.asp

We have ordered from this company and currently stock some of their rubber.

I would use the butyl just for the extra "grip," err, surface tension. There, do I sound smarter? :WTFBubble:

I preferred UHMW for industrial applications for its lower then average coefficient of friction. More suited for a sliding smooth surface then a bushing that I have seen.

American Top Gear blows

It's getting better. The only reason it sucks is because they are trying to follow the British version and they don't have the distinct personalities to pull it off.

Shoot me some dimensions and I can make you a bushing. :)

Sweet, you guys rock. I am going to order up a holder and we'll see how she goes.

I of course realize that I have some butyl in the form of Raamat. Worth a first try just with that?

American Top Gear blows

I have not seen it in a while. Hard to with out cable or TV. Do they stream it or re-broadcast it on the intarwebz?

Seems to me you could get some other kind of rubber that wouldn't be as messy. Maybe pick up some rubber floor mat samples?

Butyl should not be messy. We get sheets and rolls of it and us it in various applications.

American Top Gear blows

I have not seen it in a while. Hard to with out cable or TV. Do they stream it or re-broadcast it on the intarwebz?

I haven't found anything streaming, but I prefer this anyway, FinalGear. I just download the episodes if I care to watch them. I don't have a dvr :( and don't bother to watch it when it's on so this is how I see it. Its actually the first episode I've watched since season one. I'll stick to the UK Top Gear

American Top Gear blows

It's getting better. The only reason it sucks is because they are trying to follow the British version and they don't have the distinct personalities to pull it off.

I agree with that. They need to get rid of Rutlidge though, I fail to see what he is contributing.

American Top Gear blows

I haven't found anything streaming, but I prefer this anyway, FinalGear. I just download the episodes if I care to watch them. I don't have a dvr :( and don't bother to watch it when it's on so this is how I see it. Its actually the first episode I've watched since season one. I'll stick to the UK Top Gear

S17 E5 has to be one of my favorite episodes from TG UK of all time. The Interceptor bit was awesome, and to see what he went through mentally with the F1 car was fascinating. :)