mrray13

Welcome to the IHoP

With all the rain we are getting, the Little League World Series has had some delays making for a long day.

Your lucky you have rain......its 111 out here......lucky...

With all the rain we are getting, the Little League World Series has had some delays making for a long day.

Your lucky you have rain......its 111 out here......lucky...

It has been rather dry here this summer, so we will take the rain. I just hope my grass turns green.

on rifles..... Some day I will probably need to itch the .50 BMG itch.... but it's just so much dang hassle to cary to load to use....

Even if I would be crazy enough to hunt with it... it's 10-15 pounds fatter than even the next heaviest.

.338 Lap will do me just fine I think.

Hunting with a .50BMG is just fine if you want to turn any living creature into a blob of jello like goo. Now hunting the wiley locomotive you may need to just buy a Dillon minigun.

I have a bit of wiggle room with if I can get the rifle at 2k. I would like to stay <1500.

I also plan on buying a reloding system. Originally I was planning on rifle glass and reloding system to be 4k. I now see this to be less realistic to get what I want but again if this savage comes through at the 2k or less price point I will be amped.

If you ever want to go in 50/50 on the minigun let me know.

:)

Tow Report:

Payload, Departing: ~750 lbs./318 kg.

Trailer Weight, Departing: ~2,400 lbs./1,089 kg.

Payload, Departing: ~700 lbs.

Trailer Weight, Arriving: ~1900 lbs./862 kg.

Air Temperature: ~95-107F/35-42C

Maximum Observed Transmission Temperature: 201F/94C

Total Trip Distance: ~1,200 mi./1,931 km.

Average Speed: ~62 MPH/100 km/h

Average Mileage: ~13 MPG/5.5 km/L

I have a bit of wiggle room with if I can get the rifle at 2k. I would like to stay <1500.

I also plan on buying a reloding system. Originally I was planning on rifle glass and reloding system to be 4k. I now see this to be less realistic to get what I want but again if this savage comes through at the 2k or less price point I will be amped.

I think the killer on the minigun would be ammo to feed it....

What calibers and volume of rounds are you looking to reload?

I would mainly want to reload for the .338 and then probably for the .45 pistol.

Being able to reload .308 might be nice.

I'm not sure how much savings I would get for the 9mm. The 7.62 x 39 is so cheep.. I don't know if reloading that would make sense either.

No extreme volume, but something that works smoothly. If it's akward to use or diffocult to set up, it probably won't work for me.

I think the killer on the minigun would be ammo to feed it....

... probably don't want to reload all those either....

I would mainly want to reload for the .338 and then probably for the .45 pistol.

Being able to reload .308 might be nice.

I'm not sure how much savings I would get for the 9mm. The 7.62 x 39 is so cheep.. I don't know if reloading that would make sense either.

No extreme volume, but something that works smoothly. If it's akward to use or diffocult to set up, it probably won't work for me.

Don't worry about the 7.62x39 ammo for reloading, not worth it.

Ok. I will say this as many times as I have to on a reloading press.

Buy a Dillon 550 or 650 the first damn time!

I can load .45's for ~7$ a box of 50$, .338 is so damn expensive you basically have to reload it, and .308 might as well roll your own too.

The nice thing with reloading is you can get exactly what you want tailored to your rifle.

Now for .45's I have a dedicated Dillon Square Deal B, it is a press that is made for only straight wall pistol cases, it will never change from .45 to anything in all of its life most likely. I don't load rifle right now and whenever I do it'll be on a Dillon 550 or 650.

If you hear the rationale that you can't load precision rifle rounds on a progressive press, that is a load of horse shit. The top people in long range rifle load on modified 550's (read David Tubbs) and he kicks everyones ass.

Now if you can find a used Dillon Square Deal B for cheap (I got mine for 75$) already set up to load .45's or something, go ahead and pick it up. Its only shortcoming is the fact is a physically small form factor so occasionally its a pain in the ass.

Then if you want to load something like .338's on a single stage get something like a RCBS rock chucker or a Forester Co-Ax (pretty much the single stage that Jesus would load on).

Buy good carbide dies (read RCBS) with the micrometer adjust on it for your precision rifle, find some old foggie around that has been loading for eternity and make friends. You may be surprised what they will just give you.

The dillon 650 can't do .338 Lap actually.

It would leave me with the 550

Single Stage is when you pull the handle, one operation is completed. Progressive press is one pull of the handle can do multiple operations on multiple shells at once.

Say on .45's, 4 pulls of the handle on my press will spit out 4 shells. 4 pulls on a single stage will yield one round on a single stage.

If you end up getting a .338 I would do some searching on snipershide for other people who load it and see what they are using for cases/bullets/powder etc. I am certainly not going to go back to loading on a single stage though, no way you can get me to spend that much time and make that little amount of ammo.

The dillon 550 would then be a progressive stage. (4 stages)

I have been reading a lot about cases. Most of everyone says the lapua cases are the best with the least problems and last the longest. For projectiles and loads there is soooooo much debate and it's usually divided by the bore twist if you get better result from the 300 grain or 250.

With the savage, it will be harder to find info as less people own that one, but it looks like it's going to be one of the best sellers due to Savage having such high quality and accuracy with such low cost.

Barrel twist will also decide on what projectiles you can use too as to what it will stabilize.

Barrel twist will also decide on what projectiles you can use too as to what it will stabilize.

Exactly. For the heavier projectile the recomend a tighter than 1 turn per 10 inch. I think the 110 BA savage ends up with a 1:9.

Is there any practical reason to use a single stage loader? Would it be more exact? From what I understand it allows for a larger level of error.

Exactly. For the heavier projectile the recomend a tighter than 1 turn per 10 inch. I think the 110 BA savage ends up with a 1:9.

Is there any practical reason to use a single stage loader? Would it be more exact? From what I understand it allows for a larger level of error.

Single stage is generally cheaper, and people are not as afraid of them or setup as a progressive. If you load only a very little and want to do it on a budget, a single stage might be the way to go. If you want to load in any sort of volume a progressive is the ticket.

Single stage, I can load ~75 rounds in an hour of .45ACP

Progressive, I can load ~300 rounds in an hour of .45ACP

It also depends on what velocity you are firing at too for stabilization, how much is actually in contact with the barrel, what the magazine will load, etc. Just try and see what you find.