mrray13

Welcome to the IHoP

32lbs. box that measures 14x14x11 showed up this evening. ;)

Hmmm, new ICON? peepwall.gif

:blush:

32lbs. box that measures 14x14x11 showed up this evening. ;)

I bet it came from Vegas.

Check your texts.

I got nothing. You must never have received my new number.

Ordered some edge veneer for making the kick pods flush mount.

Anyone know of a good place to buy aluminum mesh for making custom speaker grills? I know at some point someone is going to step in my car, right on my kicks and go "sorry man."

Buy some expanded steel from mcmaster carr. Don't use aluminum, it will be too fragile.

:thanx:

I found 22gauge Steel, hexagonal holes, 70-79% open, you think 22gauge is thick enough?

Depends on how far away from the driver you're mounting. You'll always get some bend, the trick is to control it with thickness, shape, or mounting.

If I can manage to bend it all the way around, that'll definitely add some strength, but I'm not sure how I'd successfully pull that off.

I might be better off just finding a lower gauge, cutting it into a circle, then attaching to a thin baffle to space it out from the driver, then some rage gold around the edges for a nice smooth finish.

There's a steel shop not too far from me, I'll check out what they have and "feel the amount of bend" in center.

edit, Actually I guess I could cut a baffle to size, lay it on top of the circular steel, then start bending the edges up to the baffle, then apply rage gold on the sides / resin for keeping it together.

Cut a circle out of MDF about 1/4" smaller than the diameter you need, round over one edge with a router, then lay your piece of metal over it and carefully hammer the sides over. I've done this countless times. If I had some scraps, I'd make a video for you.

Sounds simple enough, thanks.

YES, the LED's are super-fucking-awesome. 6 of them with 8 degree dispersion lens are VERY bright.

I do need a new power supply, apparently it needs to be constant current, not constant voltage. I found a schematic, probably going to build it Monday and test the prototype some more.

Sweet & :stfu:

I found some extra wire I could use for temp running everything, tried some different aiming points. Figured I'm the only person in the car 90% of the time, mine as well just set them up optimally for myself.

Gotta get some more supplies in the morning but should finish the driver side tomorrow, with the exception of the grille.

IHOP = my partial build log, for no reason. :)

So my first video of the haunt was not very good. My phone was not the best option. So I am going to use my video camera when the actors are there to give you all the full effect of the show.

Sorry guys :( but it will come a later time.

So my first video of the haunt was not very good. My phone was not the best option. So I am going to use my video camera when the actors are there to give you all the full effect of the show.

Sorry guys :( but it will come a later time.

No worries, look forward to it. :)

Booing the gay soldier serving in Iraq...nice...

It's only one wheel for now, but yeah, pretty sweet. :P

How long did it take to finish the one wheel?

~3 hours from taking it off to putting it back on. All sanded by hand, lots of elbow grease.

I could of done it a little faster, if I had a drill and a steel wire brush attachment, around.

Before/After :)

dsc01699_01564_28494663.jpg

dsc01701_e07b4_28494664.jpg

Not bad. I thought you said they were covered in corrosion? That appears to just be oxidation to me.

Found another F-body for sale...........knocking engine but great interior for 800................wish i could guarentee i could get it, swap the interiors and re-sell it.

J

Before/After :)

Not bad. I thought you said they were covered in corrosion? That appears to just be oxidation to me.

That would explain why you told me to discarding the rims. Sorry for misleading, I thought it was corrosion. ;)

How should I treat them after sanding? Clear coat, wax of some sort? Or it will take years for the oxidation to come back?

How should I treat them after sanding? Clear coat, wax of some sort? Or it will take years for the oxidation to come back?

I don't know what kind of finish you want on them, but a high gloss polish will help to seal the pores of the aluminum and make them shiny. The dull finish you have now can easily be kept with a simple clearcoat which will be the best bet since you can simply wash them clean with car wash whenever you want. I'd wax them at the very least, and the easiest way to keep them looking like you want them is to keep them clean, and dry them. Don't let the water dry on the wheels. It just speeds up the oxidation process. The unfortunate thing about aluminum is that it oxidizes rapidly, but that is actually good in a sense as that oxidation helps to annodize or harden the aluminum so it adds a layer of protection against corrosion, unlike steel.

Holy kick pod!

pod.jpg

pod1.jpg

Those are re-damn-diculous bro!!!!

J

~3 hours from taking it off to putting it back on. All sanded by hand, lots of elbow grease.

I could of done it a little faster, if I had a drill and a steel wire brush attachment, around.

Looks like it was worth the time to me :D