selftc

ixl10 goodness

Does anyone care to explain to me the phrase "driver freezing" ?

Freezing (this is what I call it) occurs when a driver is placed in a bass reflex with a very long port and is pushed to levels above and beyond normal port compression. At these high levels the enclosure no longer acts as a bass reflex enclosure and for split instants at certain frequencies (if memory serves its at resonance) the driver will actually freeze up.

It was a problem years ago as we had to deal with it when designing, but technological advances have minimized this issue. Using port flares is one way. Ensuring that you have adequate port area for the size of driver is another, but this of course, can work against you.

When I saw the first picture, I was like thats kinda cute like a fat panda bear. Then when I saw the rest of the sub, omg, its Grizzly bear. lol

nice subs...

[b ]I really don't understand why more people are not grabbing them for the price.

I would but it looks like they only come with Dual 2ohm coils. I need Dual 1ohm coils.

Edited by johnny5

Well after being inspired I finally got around to *almost* finishing my sealed box for the IXL10..... Final coat of resin is drying inside, I'm soldering the wiring, and I've got the carpet to cover it sitting infront of me................. but I've just realised that I mean to put two bracing posts (one on either side of the sub).... Bugger more to do.

Should be a nice strong 0.7cubes with either 450w @4ohm or 1000w@1ohm. :drink40:

02112008617.jpg

07112008633.jpg

07112008634.jpg

Jono

Edited by crosspug

Solid looking box.

Doneski...... :drink40: And thanks guys solid is one word!! I estimate 30kgs when loaded (as I carried it to the car!).

09112008638.jpg

Initial thoughts...

Currently running at 1Ohm and loving the sound! Easily as good (musically) as my previous VDO Dayton (Peerless XLS12), with more time and tuning I suspect it will blend perfectly with my front stage.

Certainly is much more controlled at higher volume when turning up the settings for daily driving than the previous and doesn't miss the lows either....

Very impressed thus far.

Jono

Edited by crosspug

Wow, nice statement to being up to par with the Peerless. :)

how many screws did you use on the baffle? lol nice enclosure though.

Wow, nice statement to being up to par with the Peerless. :)

Well we'll see if I continue getting good scores for subbass in the next local SQ comp! (Judges liked the sound of the VDO alot). The IXL provides better low end feel than the old VDO 12inch while staying composed which is good. Although I do plan on stuffing the box full of dacron and seeing how that changes the sound (it "evened out" the sound of the last sub if that makes sense).

how many screws did you use on the baffle? lol nice enclosure though.

LOL Thanks, ok maybe a few too many..... But it certainly won't go anywhere quickly!

Jono

Keep us informed with your testing. Maybe your end result can get some more people interested in the IXL. :)

I'm curious how you will like it after fill.

For now it has my interest piqued :D

grammar edit

It's "piqued." Sorry spelling an grammar are things that really annoy me.

As far as an update on the status of my setup, I'm considering taking a week off work to get it finished the first week of Dec. We'll see if I can get that approved by the boss (the one at work, not the one at home).

If you have an pictures of the peerless, could you post them up?

It's "piqued." Sorry spelling an grammar are things that really annoy me.

As far as an update on the status of my setup, I'm considering taking a week off work to get it finished the first week of Dec. We'll see if I can get that approved by the boss (the one at work, not the one at home).

Aboslutely no worry about the correction. I always encouraged people to correct my spelling and grammar :)

If you have an pictures of the peerless, could you post them up?

Sure thing, I'll throw them up upon my return from China

Jono

As promised....

DSC00328.jpg

post-31984-1206534738.jpg

Jono

PS. Got my MLi mids in the doors just before the weekend...... Still really getting them tuned 100% but they certainly have alot of impact while playing relatively high. The IXL10 just keeps growing on me, a great little sub........ Although after 4hours of continuous playing hiphop my mono @ 1ohm was trying to be a bbq under my seat so I might drop it down to 4ohm on long trips.

My IXL 10 is turning up next week :clap: Im looking forward to listening and posting my impressions

The best part is its for my GirlFriends car but i have a feeling i might be taking it back :bigclap: I havent looked at box design just yet but i will be sure to post a build log and a detailed Review

Just one question... How does it like 1000 watts?

My IXL 10 is turning up next week :clap: Im looking forward to listening and posting my impressions

The best part is its for my GirlFriends car but i have a feeling i might be taking it back :bigclap: I havent looked at box design just yet but i will be sure to post a build log and a detailed Review

Just one question... How does it like 1000 watts?

Shoot me a PM.

Hi all,

Well the goodness just keeps on getting better. 0.75cubes ported to 30hz........ Its "louder" when tuned to about 34/35/36hz but I've got extended bass now and its really really nice (removable ports are cool but darn ugly!). Forget sealed, this thing rocks in a ported box (I know I know...... I did comment on how good it was sealed but...... even better ported)....

Once again very happy with the sub. Great response and output for a very well priced 10inch.

Jono