obcaraudio

Possible box idea for my 1996 Lexus Es 300

so if you all know, my final system is

2 Fi BL 12" 1000 RMS (1 OHM VC OPTION)

1 Sundown SAE-3000D 1500 RMS @ 2 OHMS

**BOX: Dual 12" Ported Box (specs are below)

Width: 40

Height: 16

Top Depth:20

Bottom depth: 20

Wood thickness: .75"

Square Port Height: 14.5

Square Port Width: 5

The idea was to cut a rectangle behind the box, and behind the armrest in the backseat to allow air from the subs out, is this a good idea for more bass/airspace? I wanna hear what you guys think....HERE IS A PIC OF IT

1.jpg

in my es300 there was already an opening there. definitely made a bit of a difference when it was open, not huge but noticable

in my es300 there was already an opening there. definitely made a bit of a difference when it was open, not huge but noticable

so you are saying it does matter do it, it wont hurt?

Edited by obcaraudio

yes, it will make a difference

cool, thanks...now ill just have the people who are making my box carve the same size rectangle on the back of my sub box making it Parallel to the arm rest, and cutting taht part of the seat out

4.6ft^3 so 4.3ish cubes after displacement. whats the tuning frequency?

4.6ft^3 so 4.3ish cubes after displacement. whats the tuning frequency?

I believe they told me somewhere around 32 hz? but what would you recommend?

for my tastes, usually 28-32Hz

You are recommending that a BL be ported at 28hz? Curious why you'd use such low tuning on a sub that excels in peakier enclosures.

yes, it will make a difference

cool, thanks...now ill just have the people who are making my box carve the same size rectangle on the back of my sub box making it Parallel to the arm rest, and cutting taht part of the seat out

don't cut an extra hole in the box if that's what you were implying by that post.

The open armrest just promotes the flow into the interior... in this case not gonna make a huge difference

Could you draw up something in photoshop or paint showing what the box is going look like with your plans. Doing what you are saying (and how I'm interpreting it in my head) might cause unfavorable results.

You are recommending that a BL be ported at 28hz? Curious why you'd use such low tuning on a sub that excels in peakier enclosures.

what would you recommend?

Could you draw up something in photoshop or paint showing what the box is going look like with your plans. Doing what you are saying (and how I'm interpreting it in my head) might cause unfavorable results.

Untitled-2.jpg

and on the back where the middle vent is, i was gonna cut another vent on the back of the box 8 inches wide, 12 inches tall, then cut that dimension behind the arm rest so the air from the sub can come into the car...tell me what you think, hopefully i was clear enough

Okay, I assume all of those gray things are vents. And if so we would need the depth on them. I think that you might be best off having someone design you a box. The tuning frequency is going to be based off of the volume of your enclosure and the port dimensions. Are you wanting this to be a box you would listen to music on, or burp with?

Okay, I assume all of those gray things are vents. And if so we would need the depth on them. I think that you might be best off having someone design you a box. The tuning frequency is going to be based off of the volume of your enclosure and the port dimensions. Are you wanting this to be a box you would listen to music on, or burp with?

music on, and i am not building the box, i am having an experienced person to do it

Well I personally would go with 1 port firing towards the rear of the car. You could try doing subs firing back with the port firing through the arm rest hole. I have no experience with it, so I don't know if it would make a huge difference. I'll try to draw up a box here in a bit.

If I'm seeing what I think.....

that design=bad idea......

two round ports on top and 4 slot ports in front with one square port in the rear???

is that what your box builder is suggesting....?

**Looks like they may not have a clue.... or.....????

two round ports on top and 4 slot ports in front with one square port in the rear???

Yea you may want to get fisher or someone, design a box cut out sheet and take the dimensions to the "box builder". I have never seen some one, that claims to be a box builder, that actually knows what they are doing, want to put 6-7 ports in a box... Not saying that he can't build one, or that you can't, I just think if you are gonna get a great amp, and awesome subs... why put them in a sub-par box? Do it right the first time.

Also... what if he just makes a single port tuned to 32 Hz to fit in the rear arm rest dimensions... wouldn't it be similar to a "blow through" ?

Edited by JoshM20

ye i agree, that looks like the most craziest thing ive ever seen...

Well I personally would go with 1 port firing towards the rear of the car. You could try doing subs firing back with the port firing through the arm rest hole. I have no experience with it, so I don't know if it would make a huge difference. I'll try to draw up a box here in a bit.

ok...thanks a bunch, id appreciate the drawing cuz i think my drawing is kinda confusing

It would be similar to a blow through, I just don't know if it would be the loudest option. Which he, if I'm correct, is looking for.

nahh thats my design obviously it sux, abxx is gonna help me out, and im gonna see what the box builder thinks on friday, but last time i asked he doesnt know anything about FI, he specializes in kicker, fosgate, and MTX, but he asked me to come friday to bring specs of the BL, and he said he would know what to do

It would be similar to a blow through, I just don't know if it would be the loudest option. Which he, if I'm correct, is looking for.

im lookin for loudest possible...yes thats right

Do you want a the port firing through the arm rest or towards the rear of the car? Does the bottom of your arm rest lay flat with your trunk floor?