kryptonitewhite

>30mm Xmax <20Hz Fs D2 15's

I am looking for a pair of D2 15's that have at least 30mm Xmax, 20Hz or less Fs.

Who do you need so much xmax? Lots of stuff can do that too...

audiopulse axis......TC Sounds 3000

The axis looks pretty sik...

looks like good excursion there, i like the tall/narrow surround, looks like a TC / Sound Splinter type basket, double or triple stack slugs? (still reading website)

$850 MSRP thats a killer right there...what do they go for new? I'm looking for 2 15's and to spend about $500 for both.... I am reconsidering getting dual CSS SDX15's. I heard they weren't living up to specs, but I am finding out about that now. That's $550 for 2 shipped.

I just went to look up the 3000... so the axis is TCSounds? Not surprised! LMS-Ultra is badass, but 2G MSRP.... forget it... If I had that I'd get a single 06 XXX 18

FI Q has 27mm xmax and Fs is 24.9hz for D2 15". Its probably better on your wallet. Just a suggestion.

Or the FI IB3 15". It has an xmax of 30mm, but I don't know any other info about it besides that its cheaper than the Q.

Edited by phi

FI Q has 27mm xmax and Fs is 24.9hz for D2 15". Its probably better on your wallet. Just a suggestion.

Or the FI IB3 15". It has an xmax of 30mm, but I don't know any other info about it besides that its cheaper than the Q.

I was checking out the IB18's a while back, but power handling would be an issue...I'll look into the 15's

Try and find an old Brahma or XXX. Both of those would be suitable.

that's exactly what I want, but, id have to get used and re-cones would be difficult

what are your goals with the system. how much room do you have to use, how much power do you have, if you have an amp, if not what is the budget on that.

I am looking for a pair of D2 15's that have at least 30mm Xmax, 20Hz or less Fs.

bet this starts a debate... but thats what were here for...

if I had only 1 spec to choose while purchasing/choosing a driver, screw power handling, efficiency, Vas, VC option...screw everything.... I want Xmax, as the overall determination of how loud and clean a speaker is... is it's linear excursion. I will take a 10" sub that moves 2 feet peak to peak but needs 10,000 watts to get there and 8 cubic feet. Because 2 18's that only have 6mm Xmax, but only take 4 watts to get there and .5 cubic feet between the two of them still has less output.

:D

I didnt have much time earlier to rely reply, but I had been checking into the IB's for a while, and they are single coil... I need D2 to get .5, and Q just isn't quite enough, then again, If I would go with Brahma's or Avalanches, then Q works too... but no, I'd prefer Tumult, SDX15, so on.... :D

Try and find an old Brahma or XXX. Both of those would be suitable.

When I was saving for Tumult's, I considered several times saving quite a bit by going with Brahma's, but I always came back to wanting that little bit more and being different than all those out there that had Brahma's...

XXX not a chance... high Fs... getting too close to SPL subs...

www.ascendantaudio.com

look at the havocs, they have 30mm xmax

if I had only 1 spec to choose while purchasing/choosing a driver, screw power handling, efficiency, Vas, VC option...screw everything.... I want Xmax, as the overall determination of how loud and clean a speaker is... is it's linear excursion. I will take a 10" sub that moves 2 feet peak to peak but needs 10,000 watts to get there and 8 cubic feet. Because 2 18's that only have 6mm Xmax, but only take 4 watts to get there and .5 cubic feet between the two of them still has less output.

displacement is important in a sealed box as well as efficency. the second you go ported xmax and efficency are nolonger the important parts. xmax is also not the most a sub can move its the xmech. a sub could have an xmax of 14mm but an xmech of 45mm.

www.ascendantaudio.com

look at the havocs, they have 30mm xmax

Fs is next important, otherwise I'd go 05 XXX and many other's that have tighter suspensions and more power handling (power REQUIREMENT)

displacement is important in a sealed box as well as efficency. the second you go ported xmax and efficency are nolonger the important parts. xmax is also not the most a sub can move its the xmech. a sub could have an xmax of 14mm but an xmech of 45mm.

I disagree with that just as much as I disagree with square subs having more advantage from Sd gain in ported and not sealed.

Thats just like saying in a ported box it doesnt matter if you have an 8" or a 15" cuz it all comes from the port

and yes, i know the diff between Xmax and Xmech, and Xlim, and Xsus, and Xmag.

I know the difference between high BL high Sd and High Xmech SOLOX18 and a Maelstrom-X ;)

Edited by kryptonitewhite

in a ported ap the box is the most important part. i have a q18 capable of a lot of displacement, but never see anywhere near its capabilitys. the box is over sized and i have sent almost double the rms to it and still didnt reach close to full potential. if i were to play below tuning id move a lot of air and possibly bottom out the sub and it wouldnt be loud.

I believe the enclosure is just as important no matter what alignment. if you are doing an infinite baffle, the least amount of effect, going from 4X Vas to 10X Vas to 20X Vas to 25X Vas to 100X Vas, will change things... how significant? IDK.

But going from 1cu ft sealed to 2cu ft sealed changes a lot.

Going from 6mm excursion to 36mm excursion will chnage everything significantly, no matter what box.

if a vented enclosure doesnt make much difference in excursion, then you wouldn't need a volume knob, as turning up the volume simply increases excursion, and we could all go out and drop $5 at a garage sale and get a 50 year old tube radio speaker or organ sub and port it, and it would be the same as an 06 XXX sub of the same size.

increasing excursion increases volume, no matter the alignment, and to the same proportion. same box, same cone area, more excursion means more sound.

or are you telling me that when you have your system to 1/2 the normal listening position, your cone is moving the same distance.... just less power, and just less sound?

yes but if you reach thermal breack down of a sub before reaching half of a subs potential displacement what is the point of having the capability's that much when another sub with less potential displacement can displace more.

in a ported ap the box is the most important part. i have a q18 capable of a lot of displacement, but never see anywhere near its capabilitys. the box is over sized and i have sent almost double the rms to it and still didnt reach close to full potential. if i were to play below tuning id move a lot of air and possibly bottom out the sub and it wouldnt be loud.

then give it more power! ! :D :D

dude i dont think you know what you want it sounds like a dream woofer or something but watch out because the admids will end this thread because so far its going no where

I know the difference between high BL high Sd and High Xmech SOLOX18 and a Maelstrom-X ;)

High Sd? So just a larger diameter driver? haha.

I take it you just want something to belt out the lows between 0-40 hz or so?

Your parameters are pretty hard to find by themselves, much less together. Especially the <20 hz Fs in a car audio subwoofer with high excursion.

The Dayton Titanic is somewhat close, 20 hz Fs but only 20 mm xmax. The Audiopulse Axis is close, 22 hz and 30 mm. It's $721 on partsexpress.com. The Adire Tumult has 34 mm and 19 hz. Good luck finding one though.

more excursion does not always mean louder......I have seen some high excursion subs get slayed from

subs with less on the Termlab

it's not always about the subs specks...the install has 80% to do with the subs performance

like how the tuning freq of a box is the loudest but it moves the least although the more you can make it move at tuning the louder it will be where a strong motor and high power handling come to play.

yes but if you reach thermal breack down of a sub before reaching half of a subs potential displacement what is the point of having the capability's that much when another sub with less potential displacement can displace more.

the question to this thread is what all subs... but too many people had to ask why, then argue why... not just answer the question...

so i made a blanket statement saying my personal want in a sub is Xmax. some people care about Vas and Qts because they want to make a tiny box that sounds good but doesnt take up too much room. good for them. let them. I will sacrifice every cube I have to get lower, just as I want a lower Fs and higher Xmax... and yes, power handling as well.

I did NOT say the ONLY thing that matters is Xmax. Do you really think I don't know that this whole game is give-take? Subs, enclosure... comprimise, balance...but most important..preference

not trying to be a dick, but if I cant be semi-playful about people going off topic on my own thread, then I get warned for following off topic... on my own thread, then maybe I should make it more clear...

I want high Xmax low Fs drivers. If you know of any, please post here, if not, it's not my fault you ask why? how come? or tell me "that's stupid"

Edited by kryptonitewhite