RaTtLz

What the hell did I get myself into?

I am curious to know how many watts would be concidered enough in a "daily driver"? I know that the threshold of pain (in the ear) is around 120db's. What kind of watts are needed to acheive that. I have been around the car audio realm for the better part of 15 years but it has always been a "bigger is louder is better" way of thinking. I never really looked into the science of sound and why it all works. I am learning a great deal from this site. My very first system was an 18 inch cerwin vega powered by a 400 watt california profile amp and a kenwood tape deck. The last system I had was 2 15 inch type r powered by a 1000 watt phoenix gold amp and a pioneer p9. I now am waiting to install 2 12 inch phoenix gold Ti's that are at least 1000 watts rms apiece. Somehow, it never seems to be enough. Is putting 3000 watts into my daily driver nuts? I am realizing that this is getting to be more than a hobby, it's an investment. When I see people on SSA that have 4 18's or 16 12's or something outragious like that, I wonder if its all show and no go? I guess I'm just curious as to what others here on SSA have for daily driving. :wacky:

hi welcome.

from what you list down you should already be over the 120 DB range. A lot have to do with the install. make sure you have enough curent for your gear.

Perhaps tell us what you are hoping to achieve then perhaps we can better guide you. Dont 4 get to mention what ride you are having and how much space you are willing to sacrifice. Remember a good soundsystem does not produce bass only ... all though that is the most fun part for a few people on here ;)

:WELCOME:

<~~~ 3k on a day to day

ZAP! i stole alan dante's car and i drive a concrete volvo around every day! :wacky:

Steve Meade drives around with 16,000 watts and 4 18"s daily. Chicken will be driving around with 30,000 watts and 8 18"s soon. I consider a daily driver any car with a sound system in it that is driven around safely, ie no concrete filled vehicles like Alan Dante's Volvo.

hi welcome.

from what you list down you should already be over the 120 DB range. A lot have to do with the install. make sure you have enough curent for your gear.

Perhaps tell us what you are hoping to achieve then perhaps we can better guide you. Dont 4 get to mention what ride you are having and how much space you are willing to sacrifice. Remember a good soundsystem does not produce bass only ... all though that is the most fun part for a few people on here ;)

My name is Ryan and I'm a bassaholic,

Thanks guys for the welcome. I guess reality is setting in when I look at how much dough its gonna take to get this project bumpin'. I plan on getting a chrysler 300 and filling the trunk. My goal is simple and shared by alot of people. Be the best mofo on the street. However, its coming down to being the best mofo within my budget. Damn recession!! Anyhow, here is a list of what I need. any links would be helpful for best prices. The prices below are estimates.

200 amp alt: $300?

powermaster D3100: $300

0 gage wiring kit: $200

sundown 3000d: $900

sundown 100.4: $350

sundown 100.2: $300

4 sets rca's: $200

sub box made: $150

spearker seperates: $150-$300

I think a competition street car wont be in the budget for a while but this is a start. Hey bigjon, I watched your vids and I like what you have going. Thats kinda what I'm looking for for my ride. I don't need ppl running out of my car cause its Meade or Chicken loud. Thanks again for the welcome and the help SSA has provided

Should someone move this topic?

So you want 12s? what kind of music do you listen to? You already made an excellent choice of products and you are going to need more batteries for that 3000D, from what I heard. I personally never had anything over 1500 watts going to my sub stage and that was insanely loud.

Perhaps Fi Bls, Sundown Audio Nightshades, Ascendant Audio Havocs, there is alot to choose from. I got those same front stage amps and they are kick ass!

I just got a single 12" RE SX with a SAE-1000D pushing it and its pretty loud and sounds good daily. I want to get a single 18" in the near future though.

1 3100d is fine for the saz 3000d but it never hurts to have more,

perhaps a nice upgrade under then hood and a d3100 in the rear.... big three.... and perhaps an h/o if they make them...

i thought i read somwhere about a computer issue only allowing a certin amount of amps to be genarated regardless of what size alt you put on the new mopars.... but i maybe confused.

My name is Ryan and I'm a bassaholic

Love the intro :)

Welcome to SSA !!

FYI, 4200w Daily Driver coming soon....

Steve Meade drives around with 16,000 watts and 4 18"s daily. Chicken will be driving around with 30,000 watts and 8 18"s soon. I consider a daily driver any car with a sound system in it that is driven around safely, ie no concrete filled vehicles like Alan Dante's Volvo.

FYI steve meade drives around with 20,000+ watts and 4 18's daily...but keep in mind he has put alot of time into his tahoe...but anyways welcome bro!

Should someone move this topic?

So you want 12s? what kind of music do you listen to? You already made an excellent choice of products and you are going to need more batteries for that 3000D, from what I heard. I personally never had anything over 1500 watts going to my sub stage and that was insanely loud.

Perhaps Fi Bls, Sundown Audio Nightshades, Ascendant Audio Havocs, there is alot to choose from. I got those same front stage amps and they are kick ass!

I just got a single 12" RE SX with a SAE-1000D pushing it and its pretty loud and sounds good daily. I want to get a single 18" in the near future though.

Not sure where to move this, I suppose general discussion but anyhow. I mainly listen to.......Dun Dun Dun \m/ METAL \M/...... Although I love awesome bass as well. There is nothing like the sound of the double kicks along side your head while doing 85 down the freeway. But I digress. I have pm'ed jacob on the particulars for the 3000d and I am in the process of looking into an alternator. I already have the 12 PG ti elites 12's (cause they are cool) lol. I am anxious to post pics of my build when I start it in the spring, cause it's like 16 degrees out now and I don't have a heated garage. :wacky:

Haha I hear you man, what metal do you listen to? your going to need some killer mid-bass drivers, in my opinion. A good front stage is always a plus for that music. and hell yeah, double kick bass lines are insane!

Sometimes I wished I had a cheaper hobby than car audio...

by the way, try building a box in an Alaskan winter! that was hard...

Edited by Jason907

Haha I hear you man, what metal do you listen to? your going to need some killer mid-bass drivers, in my opinion. A good front stage is always a plus for that music. and hell yeah, double kick bass lines are insane!

Hi Jason, a couple of my favorites bands now are Divine Heresy, A Perfect Murder, Diecast and Born of Osiris, along with the classics of Pantera and Megadeth. :rocking:

No thanks you can have your alaskan winters. The ones in minnesota are bad enough. Would 8's make good midbass drivers? I thought about mounting 2 of those in my rear deck and then go with 6in in the doors with tweets in pillar pods. Also curious about setting crossover points. Keep them steep or gradually slope them into another driver.I can go as much as 36db slope. What do you guys think?

Hi Jason, a couple of my favorites bands now are Divine Heresy, A Perfect Murder, Diecast and Born of Osiris, along with the classics of Pantera and Megadeth. :rocking:

No thanks you can have your alaskan winters. The ones in minnesota are bad enough. Would 8's make good midbass drivers? I thought about mounting 2 of those in my rear deck and then go with 6in in the doors with tweets in pillar pods. Also curious about setting crossover points. Keep them steep or gradually slope them into another driver.I can go as much as 36db slope. What do you guys think?

i think try to blend your crossovers.it brings along some cancellation but is sounds the best this way.

8;s make for killer mids. Some of these crazy guys even use those Saz E8 drivers for mids. You might want to check with bigjohn