Sign in to follow this  
durban

Install questions

I have 4 gauge power wire going to my two ppi 2100's. I will be adding a US Amps 100 HC for a sub amp. Can I run 4 gauge to it or do I need to step up to 1/0 gauge? Also what would be the perfect set up? What I mean is, I have a diesel truck with two 750 amp batteries and a 136 amp alt. Will this be ok to run this set up? What needs to be changed? Thanks

wire size depends on how much power you are running 4 gauge is roughly 100amps so 1000w or less will be fine any more and id upgraded. as far as your electrical its strong so it should handle a fair amount depending on listening habits.

Ok thanks where do you guys find your amp wiring kits at cheap prices? I think I'll get 1/0 gauge since the amp should be over 1000 watts. What do you guys find best, go to ebay and piece everything together to wire this up or just buy a kit?

Right on thanks for the input. I've also seen a style of installation called the big 3, what's that? Please explain in a detail that one could do it if needed. For a little info of my system: Kenwood KDC X891 hu, CDT sounds ES 06 mid bass in truck doors with second skin covering entire door, ES 4 and DRT 26 tweets in kick panels. Amps currently on this set up is PPI 2100's one on mid bass and one on 4" and tweets. I will be switching those out and using CDT's new four channel amp. It looks like a nice piece. US Amps will be for a single 12, not sure of brand yet. I'm looking at icon, ixl, and havoc. Sub will be installed in center console while retaining top portion of console. Will prob. port box but I'm still deciding on that. ;).

The big 3 is when you upgrade 3 main cables dealing with your electrical up to 0GA.

You would be changing these cables from 4 to 0 gauge.

1) Alternator positive to battery positive

2) Battery negative to chassis

3) Engine ground to chassis

Obviously you need 0 gauge wire, about 20 feet or so.

And you need (6) 0 gauge wire terminals to bolt down to all of these connections.

Just to clarify do not remove stock cables add to them, current chooses the path of least resistance.

And for a visual of the big three, cause it is easier to understand when seeing

BigThreeEx.jpg

Two more ?'s.

1.Do I do this to both batteries?

2. And for my engine ground. I understand take to chassis but from where on diesel? Just anywhere from the block or does it have a ground that I need to find?

Ok I lied lol

3. For the alt. fuse, what size do I need?