casedawg350

RCA wire next to power wire

i was told if i had the RCA wire form hu to amp next to my power wire it can cause interference? this was from a kid that is known at our school for knowing about car audio...

^^^

Are you being sarcastic?

I have also been told this, I'm wondering if I need to run the power and RCA cables on different sides because of interference.

Yes it can interfere. There is current going through the power wire, and if there is not sufficient shielding on the RCA's they will pick up some static. Normally the static goes with your RPM's, meaning as you increase RPM's your alternator is putting out more power increasing voltage in the power wire and that can get into your RCA's too.

i try never ever to run them togather... unless its like a 10 gauge power wire.

There is no interference. I used Knuconceptz cheapest RCA's and there 4 gauge right next to each other in my 90 silverado and had no problem.

I also ran 1/0 next to my RCA's in my 02 Silverado with no problems.

If there is an interference problem it probably has something to with bad grounds

meaning as you increase RPM's your alternator is putting out more power increasing voltage in the power wire

If your voltage doesn't stay constant during normal use, you have issues. More power does not mean a higher voltage.

A twisted pair is usually enough shielding. Anything more is just a marketing gimmick.

DC can't induce any noise in a wire sitting next to it. I have six or seven installs with crappy RCA wire sitting next to 1/0 and NONE ever had noise trouble.

Then this issue about interference must be just another well known "fact" in the audio world that is not true? Personally however, I would never put a signal cable close to a power cable as long as "well known" personalities in both car and home audio claim you can pick up "noise". Why take a chance? I always use both suspenders and a belt. Better safe than sorry. That is why I will also go with tripple shielded RCAs when the time comes.

Then this issue about interference must be just another well known "fact" in the audio world that is not true? Personally however, I would never put a signal cable close to a power cable as long as "well known" personalities in both car and home audio claim you can pick up "noise". Why take a chance? I always use both suspenders and a belt. Better safe than sorry. That is why I will also go with tripple shielded RCAs when the time comes.

You will always be wasting your money.

And people who wear suspenders AND a belt are just plain stupid.

Don't forget that some people in audio will also swear that you need to elevate speaker wire off of the floor, cables need broken in, little 1"x1"x1" blocks of wood placed through the room in 'strategic' spots will also help the acoustics a noticeable amount, and a lot of other things...