Goeddel

looking for some answers

Well i have been looking for some great subs for a while now and i think i have found them. I listen to a lot of rock and metal (avendged sevenfold, as i lay dying, bullet for my valentine) which has double bass in it. And i was wondering if perhaps the size of the driver would make the double bass or just bass petal kick in general sound better or worse? Also since i am lookin for the tight crisp bass i believe it would be best to go with a sealed box? Any input is greatly apreciated.

Edited by Goeddel

fi Q, ssa ICON.... sealed would be good IMO.

Did you have a budget, space limitations, and amplifier in mind?

well the box has to be able to fit in my truck and ive figured out i can fit 2 15's upfiring and i have to buy new amps anyways. the amount spent dont really matter b/c i have to save up anyways. Do you think i should go with iconcs or wait til the xcons come out for mostly just bass kicks and not much long low bass notes

What does your front stage look like?

my frontstage is only the upgraded monsoon system on a pontiac g6 coupe so it is 3 speakers in each door and the 6x9s in the back.. cant think of the speaker sizes off hand... 6.5 a tweeter and like a 3.5? im not quite sure

A pair of Xcon's, even with as little as 500 watts total on the two drivers, are just going to completely over power the rest of the system. Do you have plans to change up the mids and highs?

A pair of Xcon's, even with as little as 500 watts total on the two drivers, are just going to completely over power the rest of the system. Do you have plans to change up the mids and highs?

Yes i do but i planned on getting the sub stage done first because i figure that it will cost the most money.

so ive decided to go with the icons now i just need som input on the sizes please. Is there really a big differance between 12's and 15's. I know that the 15's will be louder because they are moving more air but will they sound sloppier at all? here are my choices.. either 2 15's up firing or 2 12's either front or rear firing. what do you all think?

Also, i know they are rated at 1000 rms but what do you all run them at?

Edited by Goeddel

15"s are not made to sound good IMO.... just to make noise.

10"s or 12"s sound good.

Although I have seen 3 8"s in a Civic flex the sunroof and sound AMAZING

so ive decided to go with the icons now i just need som input on the sizes please. Is there really a big differance between 12's and 15's. I know that the 15's will be louder because they are moving more air but will they sound sloppier at all? here are my choices.. either 2 15's up firing or 2 12's either front or rear firing. what do you all think?

No size will sound any worse that another, the only difference is output. I wouldn't stick dual 15's in a G6, I'm thinking two 10's, one 12", two 12's, or one 15".

In the right sized box, the 15 will sound just as good as 12's. I had 2 18 AA Havoc sealed, and people couldnt believe how amazing they sounded, picked up all the notes from any music I put through them. I would do the mids and highs first though, simply because depending on what you get and how you set it up, you may only need 1 10 to fill the bottom end. Plus, if you are serious about sq, your mids may cost you more than your bass will, by the time you have everything installed.

I just don't see how 15"s can play double bass correctly. :shrugs:

I just would think they would not be able to move fast enough..... i forgot the technical term for it.

Edited by bassahaulic

I just would think they would not be able to move fast enough..... i forgot the technical term for it.

You need to educate yourself a little more, the problem is that most people don't use the larger subs in an sq build, you only see them in spl builds. My 2 18's never got sloppy, even on old school metallica, or any other speed metal I put through them.

Yeah, depending on if you do it right, 18's will have better sound quality that 8's.

You are just accustomed to the 15" L7's that you had, they are all out SPL, Kicker could care less about an accurate substage.

I guess it never helped any subs all my friends and I install go into the maximum airspace if not more then the max. haha

I am educated..... in SPL...... I try to throw in some ideas in SQ threads every now and then. Sorry if i offended you.

I guess it never helped any subs all my friends and I install go into the maximum airspace if not more then the max. haha

I am educated..... in SPL...... I try to throw in some ideas in SQ threads every now and then. Sorry if i offended you.

I know your not apologizing to me but your in good shape, you will learn if you listen to all of us enough :lol:

None taken, I just wanted to catch you before you make the same mistake that most people in car audio make, which is to equate size of the sub with sq of the sub.... i.e. 8's and 10's=best, 15's and 18's=worst. I couldnt break 144 with those 2 18's off of 2 saz1500d's, but damn did they sound great.

I know your not apologizing to me but your in good shape, you will learn if you listen to all of us enough :lol:

Wise one ;)

No not to you Duran ;)

I hated those L7's with my soul.....

I was talking about the DC's, DD's, and other subs I have worked with. I guess since they were all SPL subs is another reason lol

If the driver was designed well and the motor has plenty of strength to control the moving mass, "speed" and accuracy is not an issue. In addition, the box and the rest of the install have a great deal to do with the end result and performance of the sub woofer(s). Think about some of the home audio drivers in 18" and larger sizes that are built for pure clean sound. ;)

To relate that to the Icon, there a number of installs with 15" models and their owners have been really happy. There was just a recent build log with a single 15 in a large sealed box and the output and clarity was excellent. So for you, if you feel you have chosen the right model for you, then figure out what amount of space you are willing to give up to reach your goals. Some people prefer single larger driver set ups for their low-freq needs. Others like multiple smaller drivers, in many cases ported.

well either way i go i am planning to get two of either the 12's or the 15's. for my needs though do you think it would be better to go with 12s or 15s? with the 15s i can put the both in the recomended box but they would have to upfire. but do will they be as tight and crisp as the 12s would? i would think so because they have a good motor to keep up. and i want a loud output so im thinkin the 15's would be my best bet?

have you ever been to a rock concert.....those kick drums that hit the back of your throat

come from 18" drivers with current servo power