Sign in to follow this  
topgun

My foray into tool building.

Heres some photos of two hand scrapers for wood that I built today, they are out of O-1 Oil Hardening Steel, I hardened and tempered the steel, if one cares to know how I did it and doesn't want to google the answer I can tell you. the handles are just some basic ones that I made out of some scrap purple heart and birdseye maple.

DSCN1237.jpg

DSCN1239.jpg

DSCN1240.jpg

DSCN1241.jpg

DSCN1242.jpg

DSCN1243.jpg

DSCN1244.jpg

DSCN1245.jpg

DSCN1246.jpg

You did a nice job on those! Good attention to detail. :)

Thanks guys. :) The little fellas are pretty sharp too. I cut myself not realizing it more than once...

They look good, but did you ever think about maybe making a T-like shape with the handle? I just figure it might help you hold on better so that your hand doesn't slide down the handle and give blisters while you're scraping the wood.

They look good, but did you ever think about maybe making a T-like shape with the handle? I just figure it might help you hold on better so that your hand doesn't slide down the handle and give blisters while you're scraping the wood.

These are scrapers that you pull rather than push so the simple bar works great, the T would be harder to put more downforce on. Never gotten a blister on them and I've mostly just used the steel blades without a handle so I've never worried to much about it. :)

Excellent work!