bassahaulic

I LOVE my highs......

Me and Duran are arguing about this on Yahoo.

I like speakers behind my head.... But he says no. I say yes.

I was thinking 4 6x9"s again. Thoughts?

And also, one thing that I have never understood fully is Active vs. Passive.

I will be using the settings in radio and at the amp.

So, Plz explain to me in DETAIL what active vs passive is. Thanks. =)

Old system

Fianllyin.jpg

Edited by bassahaulic

Old system

Fianllyin.jpg

a hell of a front stage is better in my op.. 2 sets of tweets and midbasses... i ussaly fade forward.. the rear should just be a fill... not louder than your front stage but thats me..

My front kept up.

2 Kicker 6x9"s, 2 Kicker 5 1/4"s, and 4 silk tweets.

REV 6x9"s had a dedicated amp

Kickers had a dedicated amp

And Tweets had a dedicated amp

Edited by bassahaulic

6x9's :biggun:

6x9's :biggun:

Lawd :Doh:

What do you say then?

6.5's or 5 1/4's :)

6 1/2"s before 5 1/4"s

I LOVED those REV's but are to much to replace. What brands you guys think?

Hybrid Audio Technologies :)

$$$?

go for pro/ home audio stuff ... horns,midrange,... if u like it screamin loud near your head ... and its cheaper

when you go to a concert do you turn your back to the stage and party on like that????????

Active; if you have the money active is really the only way to go...Sure its more troublesome to get right but once you get it right there is no comparison. By running active you take control of each individual speaker and that helps you create a good soundstage....at this point (if its done right) you will be able to tell where the artist is using the instrument in front of you. Running active also let you do time allignment which creates a sense of depth, and can fix all sorts of phasing issue's(no canselation FTMFW)

The downside; its harder to get right, easier to blow ur speakers if you dont tune right and you will need a compatible headunit or processor; not to mention u will need a seperate channel on your amplifier for each speaker..more cable jada-jade

some of the cheaper ways to get started are the pioneer P80 and Alpine 9887 popular alternative is to get a processor alpine 701 or the RF 360 to use just a few examples

VS

Passive

with passive you have tuning in a box(tipically placed between the amp and your speakers) this limits your tuning a lot but make intalling a whole lot quicker and easier to get right. Its also pretty much dumbass proof and what I normally recommend for starters in the ice world. Some people like to run passive and argue that it gives a more analogue sound(debatable) even on high-end crossovers you loose a lot of flexability. Once you go active there is really no turning back.

go for pro/ home audio stuff ... horns,midrange,... if u like it screamin loud near your head ... and its cheaper

I want it to sounds decent as well. lol

Hybrid Audio Technologies :)

Definately not what I would use in such an install.

I want it to sounds decent as well. lol

Sounding decent to good and beeing surrounded by speakers rule out each other.

Tells us more accurately your actual goal, a budget would help and if you want to go active or passive.

Old system

Fianllyin.jpg

I like them behind my head t but it has to be clean sound. I hate all the highs in the front it sounds like :poop:

Old system

I like them behind my head t but it has to be clean sound. I hate all the highs in the front it sounds like :poop:

:Doh:

I really hope you were joking with the last sentence. I will pay you the tickets to go to a concert and face the opposite way to the stage.

If you're goal is to be loud, sure. But if you're looking for a good sound stage and imaging, well, not so much.

Old system

Fianllyin.jpg

hi there,

think i can help u out here.

first, you do know that a speaker cannot play the full range of frequencies rite ( 1hz to 20khz), it can only play up to a certain point before either it is unable to reproduce anything beyond that range,

ie, u can get a tweeter to play 50hz and u cant get a woofer to play 10khz rite?

So now,

Active setup:

in an active setup, the signal is split up before it reaches the amplifier.

This this means that you have the source unit ( ie your deck) putting out a full range signal out thru its RCA cables.

You can either use an active cross over ( ie like those avaliable from audio control). Thus the signal is sent to this active cross over, and the signal is split according to how YOU want it to be.

Then from the active cross over, the signal is sent to the amplifier,

thus if u have a 2 way component set in front, you'll now need 4 channels instead of 2 channels, because now EACh individual driver is powered by itself and the amp that is powering that driver already sees a " filtered" frequency.

basically, think of an active system as a truck with 4x4 wheel drive. all 4 wheels are powered rite? but i'll need more " stuff" in the mechanism to get it to run rite?. same thing.

Most of the time, in these modern times, people buy headunits that have active cross overs in them.

Thus this allows them to cross the frequency in the headunit itself and set it out directly to the amp.

Now, Passive:

when you buy a component set, you get a pair of cross overs rite?

Thus picture this:

your deck puts out a full signal and is connected directly to your amplifier. Thus your amplifier sees a FULL RANGE signal ( whole freq range). this full range goes into the amp, gets amplified and comes out thru the spkr output on the amps.

Now, if this full range goes into your tweeter, just imagine, your tweet will be seeing LOW freqs and this will BURN your tweeter.

and your 6.5" will be seeing like 20khz, wont sound nice wont it.

Thus, before the signal goes into the individual driver ( ie tweeter or 6.5"), it has to go thru the cross over circuit and it is in this circuit that the signal is split up and sent to the individual drivers.

This is the BARE basics of an active/ passive network.

active: signal split up b4 going into the amp

passive: signal NOT split up b4 going into the amp.

an active setup gives u more " fun" as u can adjust the cross over points and see how the spkrs sounds at diff points.

Now about your question on speakers " behind" you.

Firstly, you gotta ask yourself, what are you trying to achieve? SQ? LOUD ass daily setup?

From what i know, most of you guys over in the US just like your music HARD, LOUD and LOW!.

Thus for example, if u have a wall of 12s behind you and 2 miserable 4" components as a front stage, you wont hear crap and just hear all the low freqs from your woofers.

Now, if u have a bunch of 6x9s, 6.5 or speakers in front and behind you, u will have a nice loud setup where u can hear both the highs and lows. basically, a mobile disco !

Then we have the SQ folks.

This is what SQ folks try to achieve. imagine your dash board is a " live stage" where people are performing and where u are sitting is the audience seats.

When the person sings, do you hear a voice coming from the rear? or when they start playing their instruments, do u hear it coming from the back? no rite? its all from the front rite.

Thus this is where most SQ folks ditch their rear spkrs and concentrate on their front stage.

at the end of the day, it all boils down to application.

If you just want a loud daily setup, putting spkrs behind you aint no problem. after all, you highs will be able to catch up with ur lows, aint that better?

But if u want a nice SQ setup with a proper sound stage and imaging, then ditch the rear spkrs.

Cheers man

Edited by headshok

If you set it up correctly, and use quality brands, pro audio equipment works AWESOME in cars.

Go to www.partsexpress.com and check out the stuff they have. If you ran 4 Eminence Delta 10s and 4 Selenium tweeters it would sound awesome and be sooooo loud. It obviously wont have the sound quality of a $1,500 6.5 component set with a world class install and $2,000 worth of processing, but what will? With the 6x9s back there, this would sound just as good, if not BETTER, and be 100x as loud. Ive got sooo much money put into my system, and Im running these exact speakers because they perform... Over comp sets or anything else.

Just get the 4 10s bridged on a 4 channel, and same with the tweets on a different amp.

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.c...tnumber=290-412

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.c...tnumber=264-362

Edited by galacticmonkey

If you set it up correctly, and use quality brands, pro audio equipment works AWESOME in cars.

Go to www.partsexpress.com and check out the stuff they have. If you ran 4 Eminence Delta 10s and 4 Selenium tweeters it would sound awesome and be sooooo loud. It obviously wont have the sound quality of a $1,500 6.5 component set with a world class install and $2,000 worth of processing, but what will? With the 6x9s back there, this would sound just as good, if not BETTER, and be 100x as loud. Ive got sooo much money put into my system, and Im running these exact speakers because they perform... Over comp sets or anything else.

Just get the 4 10s bridged on a 4 channel, and same with the tweets on a different amp.

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.c...tnumber=290-412

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.c...tnumber=264-362

they wont sound as good as a 1500 speaker in terms of tonal accuracy,

but heck, in your loud application, it'll sound AWESOME! hahaha

as said earlier, all boils down to your application.

:)

Your ears aren't designed to listen to things behind you, why put it there?

Why not?

For a couple months I only ran speakers in trim pannels on my wall behind me, nothing in the doors. It sounded just fine.

In that case, why not put the sub in the dash?

I am NOT looking to win any kind of SQ award. I want LOUD Clear music. It would be nice to have some balance in the Frequencies. So, that no one freq is alot louder then the rest.

In the old truck, I used different amp to do different things. I had a small 2 channel for tweeters HPF was up over 500 i think. I Then had an Eclipse amp 4 channel for the 4 REV 6x9"s, with the HPF on 100. I then had another 4 channel on the Kicker 6x9"s and 5 1/4"s. HPF on x9" was 100 and 125 on the 5 1/4"s. I really liked how loud it sounded and clear it was. Now I KNOW there are much better ways to achieve what i want.

I LOVE have the front and back both having speakers and about the same loudness. Or close to it.

I really hope you were joking with the last sentence. I will pay you the tickets to go to a concert and face the opposite way to the stage.

There are a few of us crazies who don't want concert sound in our cars. I enjoy feeling "enveloped" by the music and having it all around me, and I still want this feeling when I turn my head to look for other cars or whatnot.

There are a few of us crazies who don't want concert sound in our cars. I enjoy feeling "enveloped" by the music and having it all around me, and I still want this feeling when I turn my head to look for other cars or whatnot.

Yay I like that!!