ChiTownTBird312

car losing power with volume all the way up

my friend let me borrow is 08 avalanche for a couple days and i was of course blastin the music....i had the volume on the head unit all the way up bass all the way down and the volume on the ipod all the way up wit the EQ set to treble booster. i played put on and on the high note the lights dim to the point that they are almost off and last night all fo the electronics acutally reset while i was driving the truck when i was bangin. the guages all shut off radio went off lights went off...everything went off for about 2 seconds then came back on and it was playing fine again...but still dimming.

also the subs sometimes just cut out and stop playing all together when i turn it up all the way but when i turn it back down they play again.

2 12" L7's powerd by an alpine pdx1000 btw.

that may not make perfect sense...im kind of typin in a rush im at shcool. need any clarity just ask and ill explain more...

thanks

1000 watts? How is his electrical? Stock battery? Big 3? Additional batteries at all?

Electrical can't keep up, simple as that. The voltage is dipping too low and electronics shut off due to undervoltage protection. Lots of things will get ruined in short order if you continue to do that. Beef up the charging system before doing it again.

1000 watts? How is his electrical? Stock battery? Big 3? Additional batteries at all?

stock everything electrical no nothing....hes what you'd call a noob to car audio. half the things i tell him he doesnt know what im talking about.

Need to ask, how was the gain set?

well why were you playing with the volume all the way up anyways?

the way he has the subs hooked up they are spliced into the factory subwoofer channel....so for some reason it doesnt even really hit unless the volume is all the way up when the bass is all the way off.

but i have no clue how he wired the subs before, but i said forget it and took them out wired them to a 4ohm load on the amp and they sound wonderful now. nice and clear and hit hard as hell. no dimming, nothing shutting off. everything seems to be working fine now.

gain is all the way down...and i think he said he turned ss filter all the way up..

Friends don't let friends kill their audio-equipment via under-voltage protection.

why would he turn the subsonic filter all the way up?

Also need to figure out how to match his gain properly.

FDLFRW

Friends don't let friends run Wal-Mart

that i dont know. and as far as the gain i told him how to do that, but he said he likes it the way it is...

that i dont know. and as far as the gain i told him how to do that, but he said he likes it the way it is...

There's no helping some people. I have a friend like that and he always comes to me to ask things. Everything I tell him he shoots down some how, so I've given up.

Nothing is going to help the bass besides and aftermarket processor. As you turn the volume up, the bass is attenuated on the stock unit to "help" save the drivers. Most factory units have this issue.

The electrical should be able to handle that one amp. I suspect there's more to the story or setup.

thats what im thinking about doing...i've told him tons of things that he needs to do with his system, but he wont listen to me.

he doesnt believe that you can "tune" a box when you make it, and he says that wouldnt make a difference with what frequency of notes the subs will pick up, to him that depends on the power goin to the subs :rolleyes:

and he had his amp bolted to the box covering up half the port...and said it doesnt make a difference in sound....

Maybe you should tell him to sign up here so he will get proven wrong :Doh:

Sounds to me like you're just trolling. Your descriptions get worse and worse. I know that amp will pull all 100amp all day. Because its killing my electrical. So it doesn't really suprise me. But that amp doesn't have enough power for those subs to begin with. He needs a differnt amp.

Sounds to me like you're just trolling. Your descriptions get worse and worse. I know that amp will pull all 100amp all day. Because its killing my electrical. So it doesn't really suprise me. But that amp doesn't have enough power for those subs to begin with. He needs a differnt amp.

huh?

Jesus matt, I didnt know dude was so naive! He seemed somewhat clueless about it though, when he was over at the house........We/he would be better ripping it all out and starting from scratch to see where it went wrong.

Edited by DeepSubBoy

My friend switched from Xenon's which were equal to or slightly more powerful than the PDX's we replaced them with, and while the Xenon's were running pretty hard the lights would barely dim with stock electrical (140 amp alt)

The PDX caused some NASTY voltage drop, and batteries have since been upgraded to a pair of optima yellowtops, D35 and D31 and still causes some dimming. I don't think they are really that efficient. We were surprised how dramatic the change was going from 2 amps rated @ 1200rms and 1 at 200x4, to 2 at 1000 rms and 1 at 150x4. It was like they were drawing twice as much current

Maybe you should install his system in a backpack.

LOL. i was trying to remember what thread i remembered is name from....now i do.