Nightshade

Nighshade build in my Focus ZX3

I recently got rid of my Nightshade 12's and stepped up to a pair of Nightshade 15's. I'm planning on a very loud daily with them and also bassracing in the 139.9 and playing around in 149.9 some. The best burp score I got out of the 12's was a 149.7 on the dash sealed and I'm hoping for a 151 to start on my new box. Here's a rundown of the equiptment that I'm using for the 2009 season:

Head unit: Pioneer deh-p6000ub

Component speakers: Kicker RS65.2 comps

High's amp: Cerwin Vega EXL400.4

Subs: 2 Sundown Audio Nightshade 15's

Sub amps: 2 Sundown Audio saz1500d's

Batteries: Up front a Deka Intimidator G34, and in back a XS Power D3100

Wiring: 2 runs of Kicker Hyperflex, also some Knu Koncepts in the rear for wiring

I'm going to do a build log of the box and cleaning up of the wiring that I have now. All I have right now for pictures is the subs, and also some of the supplies that I have. I'm going to get wood tomorrow so I can get started on this beast of an enclosure cause I've got no bass right now.

The enclosure is very similar to the one that Soberbills just did. Go figure cause I designed both of them :) I went with almost a cube less airspace then his was. Mine will be 7.15 cubes after displacement with 6 4" aeroports at stock length to bring the tuning to 38hz. I'm also going to do a simple double baffle and not planning on any countersinking at all. The box is going to be covered with resin inside and out and 45's in every corner.

DSC00982.jpg

DSC00983.jpg

DSC00984.jpg

DSC00985.jpg

DSC00986.jpg

My dogs checking out the subs their names are Neo and Saddie. Neo's the toy fox terrier and Saddie is the shih tzu.

DSC00981.jpg

My supplies

DSC00987.jpg

Neo checking out the resin and stuff.

DSC00988.jpg

The dogs being cute.

DSC00989.jpg

Okay here are the pics that I snapped from today.

The empty car and the wiring that I need to clean up.

DSC00990.jpg

These are the aeroports from my 12 box that I had to get back for this one. There are two brand new ones too for the box

DSC00992.jpg

Lowes cut my wood FTL!!! I had to go home and break out the table saw and fix er up.

DSC00993.jpg

DSC00994.jpg

DSC00995.jpg

DSC00996.jpg

Some titebond ftw.

DSC00997.jpg

DSC00998.jpg

DSC00999.jpg

DSC01001.jpg

I had to break out the jig saw. My router broke over a year ago and I haven't replaced it yet. I still cut pretty damn good holes for a jig saw though.

DSC01002.jpg

DSC01003.jpg

DSC01005.jpg

I love this pic. I brought the box inside cause I live in an apartment complex and all I have is a storage closet and a porch. I didn't want to leave the box outside. I'm not a very tiny guy either. I'm about 6 feet tall and I just wanted to show how big this box actually was. It's 8.5 cubes internally before any displacements.

DSC01007.jpg

DSC01013.jpg

This is where it sits for now. I'm going to do a litte work tomorrow. I still need to start cutting the dowel rod for bracing. I'll do the second baffle after that. The it'll be ready for some sanding to round over the corners. Finally I'll start to resin the whole thing and do my 45's out of resin in each corner.

Great job on the box in such a limited amount of room! Those are some serious ground pounding subwoofers!

Keep the pics coming.

Thank you. I should have some more pics tomorrow. I loved my Nightshade 12's and I can only imagine how badass the 15's are gonna sound when they are in the new box. My last box was tuned to 40ish hz and this one is tuned to 38. I can't go much lower cause I don't have the room to make the box bigger or get longer ports inside the box. This was pretty much as low as I could go with 15's.

oh man, that is going to destroy your ears hahah, heard bigjons 15" ns's in 6 cubes in a trunk and that was somethin else.

Looks like its gonna be loud ;)

What are you tuning it to?

Looks like its gonna be loud ;)

What are you tuning it to?

It will be at 38hz, but I do always have the option of plugging one or two of the aeroports to bring the tuning to either 35 or 31hz. I like a bit higher tuning cause I go to quite a few comps and need it to do well on the meter. My car's resonant frequency is 51hz so I'm tuned a bit lower than I should be but I really intend this to be loud for daily and bassrace.

I have an update with a few pics of today's progress. It's my wife's birthday so I can't do anymore work today cuase I'm taking here out for dinner.

Enjoy!

DSC01016.jpg

DSC01017.jpg

DSC01020.jpg

DSC01021.jpg

There's not a ton of bracing, but I will have 2 baffles once it's complete. I also ran into a small snag today. I'm not going to be able to do 45's in every corner cause there isn't enough room to do them with some of the port holes and the speaker holes so I'll do every corner except the few I can't.

DSC01022.jpg

DSC01023.jpg

DSC01024.jpg

Any feedback is welcome. Does anyone have any predictions on the numbers that it will hit. Keep in mind that I did a 149.7 in the same car with 2 Nightshade 12's and what I've done here is added a stronger battery under the hood, upgraded to 2 15's, and built a new larger box.

I have an update with a few pics of today's progress. It's my wife's birthday so I can't do anymore work today cuase I'm taking here out for dinner.

Enjoy!

DSC01016.jpg

DSC01017.jpg

DSC01020.jpg

DSC01021.jpg

There's not a ton of bracing, but I will have 2 baffles once it's complete. I also ran into a small snag today. I'm not going to be able to do 45's in every corner cause there isn't enough room to do them with some of the port holes and the speaker holes so I'll do every corner except the few I can't.

DSC01022.jpg

DSC01023.jpg

DSC01024.jpg

Any feedback is welcome. Does anyone have any predictions on the numbers that it will hit. Keep in mind that I did a 149.7 in the same car with 2 Nightshade 12's and what I've done here is added a stronger battery under the hood, upgraded to 2 15's, and built a new larger box.

Hey Zach, This is Danny from Sumter. It is good to see that you are upgrading man. I finally got a SAZ3000D. It is a little too much for my VFL 12's I hope to be getting Nightshade 12's soon. That amp pulls a lot of current. I have two yellow tops in the back and a stock battery under the hood for now. I plan on getting another battery to replace the factory one soon. Your old system was very impressive. I am predicting 151 or 152 on the dash. So when are you going to come back to Sumter? We have a show March 7 at K-mart. Will you be at that one?

Gotta love those aero ports !!! Very nice box. What size dowels are those?

Congrats Danny! I'm not sure when I'll be back to Sumter, but it will be here soon. I'm trying to get this box ready for the NSPL show in High Point on March 1st. I'm really hoping for a 151 or better on the dash. I had a strange problem happening in my car where I lost about a db on the dash. I think it was because of my stock battery under the hood and I replaced it. I hope that made my score go back up. I'm going to do some thurough testing when I get the box in the car.

Gotta love those aero ports !!! Very nice box. What size dowels are those?

The aeros are teh shiz. Those dowels are 1 1/4" oak.

I have a question for you guys. What would be loudest for spl, if I left the battery on the passenger side and have the box closest to the driver's side like it is now in this picture without the box?

DSC00990.jpg

Or should I move the battery to the driver's side and have the box all the way up against the passenger side of the car? I can't center it cause it's so wide and that is the only place for the battery.

Thanks guys, and I should have some more pics tonight if anyone's interested.

Okay here are the new pics for today. I didn't get a ton of work done but it's progress and I'm getting closer to being finished.

Got the second baffle cut out and ready to glue on.

DSC01025.jpg

DSC01026.jpg

I used some titebond here to glue the baffle onto the first baffle. I also screwed it together with 1 1/4" screws.

DSC01027.jpg

DSC01028.jpg

DSC01029.jpg

DSC01030.jpg

I sanded the entire enclosure too. I rounded over all the corners except the bottom of the box.

DSC01031.jpg

DSC01032.jpg

DSC01033.jpg

Here are a few of the box with the subs just sitting in the holes. They fit very snug and look great in there. I wish I would have screwed the outside flares for the aeroports in the box just to see what it was going to look like.

DSC01034.jpg

DSC01035.jpg

Tomorrow is looking like resin if it's warm enough. I'm planning on doing some resin and while I'm waiting on it to dry I'm going to go out to my car to clean up the wiring and maybe move the D3100 to the other side of the car. Anyone got any suggestions up to this point? Thanks for looking guys and for all of the positive feedback. I'm sure that you will be impressed with videos of this thing when it's done cause the 12's were absolutely brutal and made the car flex like crazy. I never put up any videos of it, but I'm sure you guys won't let me get away with that on this build :)

you need to let me hear this b4 sunday!!! :neil:. i would come to the show but im goin out of town sunday

bandwidht exceeded soo you might want to do something about your pictures please

They should come back on Sunday. If they don't I'll host them somewhere else cause I can't go back and edit any of my posts here anyway.