Fi Car Audio

SMD series delays.

While we figured to have the sub ready to go by the end of Feb, we have ran into a couple of tooling and parts delays with the sub. Currently we are waiting for the latest material sample for the spider as well as a new lead with a completely different core and wrapping technique... not to mention that it appears that the spider spacing ring we tooled is MIA due to the injection molding company we are using in China seems to have gone under. This has put us in a bind for several other parts that we get through them as well and we are having some help in China in tracking down the tooling for these parts (shot in the dark).

Ill keep the forum posted as to any updates on the sub and when we will get them rolling out the doors (literally as we are setting up a small roller line specific to these subs as they are a PITA to lift and move around)

Thanks,

Scott

Sorry to hear about that Scott. I know there were a few dozen people here waiting for them. GL with your suppliers in China. It sounds like you got a bum deal. :(

There are a lot the production problems in China, mostly because of the world economy. As we purchase less goods made in China, more of their manufacturing facilities will be shutting down.

Keeps validating why I keep filling up every bit of floor space with machines...lol. Anything that we can do in house Im all for. I probably wont get an update until Sunday night on this one (Chinas Monday morning), but if it isnt good, I may get a crash course in injection molding. I have a lead on two a larger Engel and one Van Dorn machine that would definitely open up a new world of possibilities for us. Just not for this project as we need things done ASAP.

Keeps validating why I keep filling up every bit of floor space with machines...lol. Anything that we can do in house Im all for. I probably wont get an update until Sunday night on this one (Chinas Monday morning), but if it isnt good, I may get a crash course in injection molding. I have a lead on two a larger Engel and one Van Dorn machine that would definitely open up a new world of possibilities for us. Just not for this project as we need things done ASAP.

its great if a lot of things can be built in your house :clap: ... no more waitin for droopy-eyed people .. :D

than i assume that the prices on your products will go up ? :huh:

Edited by Tyan

Injection molding... If you need some information send me an email as we currenty started operation making bottles for water.

I may be in contact with you soon. One of the machines is 350 ton unit that should be able to run a 2 cavity mold given the amount of material we need for 2 parts. We can make molds in house as well. I think Ill arrange to check it out next week to wrap my head around how big this unit really is. From pics it seems about 20 feet long... plus Id like to see it in action (local machine in Las Vegas) and get an idea of how I can configure the tooling for the parts.

No equivalent subs without the logo for that series.

We have actually reduced some costs with making parts in house for certain items. When you average the tooling cost for parts vs the number of parts needed, some things simply arent worth making overseas. Plus it opens up new ways of thinking about building products when you can actually build them.

I may be in contact with you soon. One of the machines is 350 ton unit that should be able to run a 2 cavity mold given the amount of material we need for 2 parts. We can make molds in house as well. I think Ill arrange to check it out next week to wrap my head around how big this unit really is. From pics it seems about 20 feet long... plus Id like to see it in action (local machine in Las Vegas) and get an idea of how I can configure the tooling for the parts.

No equivalent subs without the logo for that series.

We have actually reduced some costs with making parts in house for certain items. When you average the tooling cost for parts vs the number of parts needed, some things simply arent worth making overseas. Plus it opens up new ways of thinking about building products when you can actually build them.

Were you referring to my email?

Do you think getting 2 18" of the SMD would be worth it on 3k each?

Yes. . .

What type of material were you using for you spacers. We deal with foamed hdpe etc on our structural foam side of the operation etc. Let me know

here's the company

http://www.robinsonind.com/

Pretty good company to deal with. I have used them for a couple of projects.

Really? I'm a project coordinator there and handle a lot of designs that come through.

Edited by reaper68

Have you dealt with anybody from First Quality?

For the most part I deal with portions of GM for packaging. Specifically GM powertrain and GM NAC. I also handle a lot of the designs for Sauer Danfoss, All-Pac, Elring Klinger, etc. as far as returnable packaging goes. I have not dealt with the company you mentioned personally, but there are three other coordinators plus designers so its probably in the mix there somewhere.

Back on topic send me 4 of these bad boys they are like the super man version of my TC 4hp's

Alright hopefully nobody flames me for this but does any one know what the 1w 1meter spl will be compared to a BTL? or is this something that will not be known until they are for sale?

Hey Scott still in a bind on the smd's??

i have a feeling these will be the subs i end up purchasing when they release...

cant wait for it....and i think it will be well worth the wait.

Still trudging along. Now its the hurry up and wait game for everything else to come in.