here is what i am trying to run: (2) dayton rs1800 7" mid bass, (2) cdt es-04 4" mid range and (2) cdt tw25s. i want to crossover the bass at 800 and below, mid range 800-4000hz and the tweets 4000-20000hz. any ideas of a crossover or company that has the capability to run at these points. i have been looking at the 3sixty and some of audiocontrol's products. my h/u is an alpine 7897 and the amps that i have are zx650.4 and a 100.2.

they will be put in a towncar.

any feedback is appreciated.

First, I don't understand your driver choice. Basically running two midranges and no midbass defeats the purpose of running a 3way.

Second, your crossover frequencies are far from ideal.

Third, without any information regarding mounting locations and what you actually plan to do it is asinine to start looking for processors. If you truly won't share or don't know yet you need as much proc as you can get. An H701 combo would work.

The 360.2 would work wonders IMO.

First, I don't understand your driver choice. Basically running two midranges and no midbass defeats the purpose of running a 3way.

Second, your crossover frequencies are far from ideal.

Third, without any information regarding mounting locations and what you actually plan to do it is asinine to start looking for processors. If you truly won't share or don't know yet you need as much proc as you can get. An H701 combo would work.

the daytons are mid-bass and the cdt's are midrange. and what is wrong with my crossover points? they aren't ideal because they arent logical or because they are wrong for those particular speakers or for a 3 way setup?

the daytons are in my factory speaker position which is around the middle of the door. i plan on mounting the cdt's next to these but on the outside of the door panel. the tweeters will be placed at the top of the door where the dash and door meet when it is closed.

my fault for sounding asinine but i have never run a 3 way setup before or even yet used crossovers. i was told these crossover points by someone who is a professional in this field so i took their advice as true.

and once again the car is a lincoln towncar.

specs on the speaker:

Daytons: Power handling: 60 watts RMS/90 watts max * VCdia: 1.5" * Le: .86 mH * Impedance: 8 ohms * Re: 6.4 ohms * Frequency range: 40-2,200 Hz * Fs: 44 Hz * SPL: 87.6 dB 1W/1m * Vas: .76 cu. ft. * Qms: 1.91 * Qes: .58 * Qts: .45 * Xmax: 6mm * Dimensions: A: 7-1/8", B: 5-3/4", C: 3-5/8".

Mid-Range:Specifications Box Volume = 0.04 cu. Ft. (1.134 liters) sealed ,Diameter: 4" (110mm) ,Sensitivity: 90.6 dB ,Power Handling: 50 Wrms (90W pk) ,Frequency Response: 50 ~ 7000 hZ ,Nominal Impedance: 4 Ohms ,Voice Coil Diameter: 1.0 (26mm)

Tweeters: 120 watt RMS Frequency Response: 65-20kHz Sensitivity: 91.8 dB

Edited by dtp_on_24s

If we could all set up our crossover frequencies on paper, it would be an ideal world. But we can't, since they all depend on the actual install.

yeah i know. i want to purchase the correct crossover tho. something that will give me some error room unlike the KX3 did. it had to be those exact points or nothing. i dunno because i may be going in the wrong direction as M5 has said maybe i could use that crossover....just dont know as of yet tho.

build you own. Its not that hard imo

lol, yes it is. Especially if you want to do it right.

please dont even entertain me building one. not ready for that yet

Arc is fine.

I'd use something other than the Daytons for a midbass, they are really midranges.

Your crossover choices are far from ideal for both your drivers and for installation in a car.

What you really should do is get a different midbass, put the midranges in your kicks and if this is your first 3 way I'd probably put the tweeters right next to the mids.

any suggestions on a particular mid-bass? what frequency range i should be looking for?

what does ideal mean in your opinion?

and you say put them next to the mids lol which ones mid range or bass?

Edited by dtp_on_24s

One of the primary goals of a 3 way is to get as much as possible of the acoustic range to come from the midrange. The midbass should also then be able to nearly play into the subwoofer range. For me this would mean 40hz - 200hz (300 max) would be ideal for the midbass, but that will of course depend on your midrange and mounting locations as to what is really ideal.

ok then i should be able to use the crossover that i have now. it will cover the frequncy range you suggested and the front high pass can cover the cdt midranges.

i understand that each vehicle varies as to what a crossover point would be but help me to understand this; would it be safe to say that each speaker in a 3 way system is to pick up the next frequency that the previous speaker stopped at? ei mid bass 40-200hz, mid range 200-1000hz, tweeters 1000-5000hz. i am really trying to understand this because i dont want to buy any equipment that i cant use. i have been talking to people who are supposed professionals in this field and everything you are telling me contradicts what they have told me. not saying that you are wrong but i want to get a better picture so that i could put this pieces together.

last question and i will leave you alone. what is an average frequency range of a tweeter in a car. i ask because i need some type of crossover for them because the zx100.2 that i have now doesnt allow you to get anywhere near the range of a tweeter.

and now that i think about it when i had those daytons crossed over to higher than somewhere around the 220 range they started sounding horrible.

someone over at audiocontrol told me 20,000. maybe he meant 2000. or did u mean 2000?

someone over at audiocontrol told me 20,000. maybe he meant 2000. or did u mean 2000?

I will just sit back and let Sean help you. Post deleted.

Well the problem is those Daytons don't work very well from 40-200hz which is why of course I said you have two midranges.

I haven't used those CDT's but again, as I stated before the goal is to have as much as possible of the frequency range coming from the midrange. Somewhere in the realm of 250-10000hz surely wouldn't be terrible, but again I have no idea what that driver can do. If it can play nice even higher I'd do it. I am also not sure how that tweeter is, it may not be a good one for a 3 way either.

The one thing is for sure, in particular in a 3 way I wouldn't cross over at the same frequency for multiple drivers. Instead you need to underlap. ie low pass on midbass at 200hz, the midrange maybe high passed at 250-300hz. Your ear will need to let you know this. The other thing with the three way is that you are going to have to experiment with aiming and phase between ALL of the drivers. This takes many, many hours. If you don't regularly a simple 2 way would sound way better.

ok i got you thanks. makes sense. lol i should have just bought a component set instead of attempting a diy. dont seem to be ready for that at this point

i already bought all of this equipment. i think i will attempt to do the 3 way but do all my f-ing up on the daytons lol. then i will get myself some Seas CA18RNX IB, LPG 25nfa and be the man