Which wall layout?  

35 members have voted

1. 1. Which wall layout?

• Subs staggered on passenger side, port on driver side
    • Subs low, port above subs
    • Subs high, port below subs

I'm starting a new build for my two DP 21"s in my Expedition, and I'm looking for some ideas. My ideas are in the above poll.

Right now I have a subs up, port back setup. Current box is 20 cubes with 300 sq. inches of port at 32Hz. I'm looking at about the same volume and tuning for my wall as well. Possibly tuned a little lower, I loves my lows.:D The wall will be to the b-pillars. I'm basically looking to get as loud as possible on music, but this is for daily, so it's not going to be a burp monster.

All votes, comments, and suggestions are appreciated.

i personally like the LOOKS of sub on top port on bottom. show off them subs

dont know how it sounds.

Where is the spot to vote for no wall?

Why would you suggest not doing a wall?

No benefit of doing it. Why would you decide it is logical?

I have built 6 different enclosures for the 21's. I have found the subs "feels" louder at 8.5 feet tuned to 28 hertz. Although it metered louder at 10 ft tuned to 38 hertz. This was the last and best sounding box for daily listening I built. It gave those nice deeps lows while keeping the sub tight at higher frequencies with that nice painfull sting in the inner ear.

12dp.jpg

Why would you suggest not doing a wall?

Hopefully get a little louder, and feel it more. Plus I wouldn't be called upon to carpool people around as much haha.

coming from a sq guy.

How is there no benefit to having a wall? I dont think for music that the port placement is going to matter a whole lot. But if you ever decide to throw it on a meter at a show, the woofers on the passenger side should show a decent gain over the others.

coming from a sq guy.

Whose farts have more knowledge about sound than you do.

How is there no benefit to having a wall? I dont think for music that the port placement is going to matter a whole lot. But if you ever decide to throw it on a meter at a show, the woofers on the passenger side should show a decent gain over the others.

The first step to "being loud" is not to build a wall.

I don't think I'd do a wall for my daily vehicle. Now if it was strictly a show car, then that's a different story.

I don't think I'd do a wall for my daily vehicle. Now if it was strictly a show car, then that's a different story.

Well, my real daily vehicle is my bike. It gets something like 50 miles per gallon, and it's more fun than a car. I just drive the Expedition ocasionally, or if it's raining.

coming from a sq guy.

Im very sure we can bring a few walled cars over and toss them on the meter vs your non walled cars.

coming from a sq guy.

Im very sure we can bring a few walled cars over and toss them on the meter vs your non walled cars.

Funny. A novice with a wall versus anyone with experience and an enclosure will get smoked. Which one is easier to redo when you realize the tuning isn't right or that the sub is choked? First enclosures in any vehicle are never right and you are inferring that you are recommending to a noob that it will be louder if he walls it. Terrible recommendation in my book and I am sure you cannot prove differently.

coming from a sq guy.

Funny. A novice with a wall versus anyone with experience and an enclosure will get smoked. Which one is easier to redo when you realize the tuning isn't right or that the sub is choked? First enclosures in any vehicle are never right and you are inferring that you are recommending to a noob that it will be louder if he walls it. Terrible recommendation in my book and I am sure you cannot prove differently.

I've done a few walls in the past, and probably twice as many non wall enclosures. I wouldn't say I'm a complete noob, but by no means an expert either.

These are the two layouts I'm down to. Ignore the measurements, they're just there and don't mean much yet. And sorry about the drawings, I was bored in class a couple days ago. And I don't claim to be an artist haha.

Subs low, port above subs.

286wbkp.jpg

Subs passenger side, port driver side.

34526pl.jpg

Just in case someone wanted a visual.

ummm if i were to wall my 21's id go port drivers side..

This is what I'm leaning towards atm. I just have to figure out how I'm going to get enough port area.

coming from a sq guy.

Well. your saying im a noob? Or am i misreading? Im pretty sure my sig alone speaks for my experience with either type of enclosures. Not encluding the work ive done for others. As for your point about retuning . I dont see how the port in either is more of a pain to play with the tunning . And the guy is here asking for help, so if someone helps him with enclosure and port size and tunning, it should be fine. Im sure hes very capable of following instructions. I really think the problem is your such a know it all smart a$$ with your offerings .

Besides , was he even asking if should wall it or not? Im pretty sure he was asking how to layout the wall he already had decided on doing .

Edited by AlanHall

This is what I'm leaning towards atm. I just have to figure out how I'm going to get enough port area.

all that open room under the woofer near the port can be used for more port area..

coming from a sq guy.

Well. your saying im a noob? Or am i misreading? Im pretty sure my sig alone speaks for my experience with either type of enclosures. Not encluding the work ive done for others. As for your point about retuning . I dont see how the port in either is more of a pain to play with the tunning . And the guy is here asking for help, so if someone helps him with enclosure and port size and tunning, it should be fine. Im sure hes very capable of following instructions. I really think the problem is your such a know it all smart a$$ with your offerings .

Besides , was he even asking if should wall it or not? Im pretty sure he was asking how to layout the wall he already had decided on doing .

I don't have sigs on and even if I did that wouldn't mean anything.

The OP wanted a wall and was the novice. Sure he was asking how to lay it out, but my point was perhaps his logic and reasoning for doing it in the first place is nonsensical.

nonsensical.... Well. if you going to spend your day chasing around "nonsensical" systems and ideas post. You are going to need ALOT of extra time. 99% of the set ups i build,read about and these forum members own seem like they would be "nonsensical" by your outlooks. So, good luck in your ventures to save the car audio world. :fing34:

nonsensical.... Well. if you going to spend your day chasing around "nonsensical" systems and ideas post. You are going to need ALOT of extra time. 99% of the set ups i build,read about and these forum members own seem like they would be "nonsensical" by your outlooks. So, good luck in your ventures to save the car audio world. :fing34:

I am not worried about the car audio world, just this forum as the threads should be helpful for those that search and find them. :thanx:

Did you ever decide on your set-up? I'd like to see some pics

I am not worried about the car audio world, just this forum as the threads should be helpful for those that search and find them. :thanx:

Being someone who searches these forums for information, I hardly ever find your posts to be helpful. All they seem to be is comments telling someone they're wrong with no explanation of why they are wrong - let alone helpful in the sense of showing them how to do it properly. Then it usually involves 2 pages, in someone's post to ask questions, in a discussion of how you're just trying to do the right thing and keep the forums free of ignorance.

I understand your concern for these forums, but you troll these forums with your knowledge (which I in no way deny your possession of) in the form of smoke and mirrors. Asking the original poster where the option of voting for no wall is incites a natural response, in those of us who are lead to believe walls are beneficial, of "why no wall?" Then you lead him around after this response with vague references like "the first step to being loud is to not build a wall." It's specific in the sense of saying something definitive... but it's vague in the sense of us coming here, to these forums, for explanations, understanding, and discussions.

What do your actions do for us who are searching the forums? It creates an ethos of the supposedly knowledgeable members of these forums, who is whom we come here to learn from in our searching of these forums, of being pompous, arrogant, and protective of the 'secrets' of successful car audio.

What exactly did the comment "whose farts have more knowledge about sound than you do" comment do for this thread, or even for this forum? You have a ton of information and knowledge and claim to want to make these forums a better place. I, as a person who comes here for enlightenment, think you could do a lot towards that goal by explaining yourself a little when you make statements in threads like this. Your initial comment about wanting to vote no wall would not have seemed so conceited and demeaning to the OP if you had simply elaborated on why you felt not doing a wall was a better option.