cx-7heaven

Need opinions on some 8's

I plan on going with some 8's, and due to the sundown e8 shortage, I have to change up my choice of subs. Here are my conditions:

Sealed- no more than .3 cu per sub

power handling of 250 RMS minimum

Price must be 115 or less shipped per sub.

Mounting depth of no more than 4 3/4 inches(this is important)

These are the subs on my short list, please post your first hand listening impressions only, no "oh those suck, because all of that brand sucks"

Kicker solo classic 8( the brand new ones)- really curious about these

Kicker 08s8L5- I dont want to join the "me too" crowd, but I'll run them if they are my best choice

Polk MM840 - The new MM series, NOT the old MOMO. According to t/s, they are not carryovers, for those that may say so.

RE RE8

Please post up other 8's that I have missed that will do well in my app. I have looked at Parts Express, but honestly, without a trusted opinion, I wont buy any of them. It will be 8 8's in my crew cab Dakota. Must be sealed, and I have up to 4kw of power available from a Memphis Mojo 4kw. I would like 4 ohm subs to run the amp at 2 ohms total load for ~2kw total to the subs. If there are 8 sundown e8's out there, they are my first choice, so pm me if you have them, as this is not a "WTB" post.

Thank you all very much

Edited by cx-7heaven

power handling is only rated at 200w but i think it would be a good option jbl i like the re8 also but its only rated at 175w and doesnt have the greatest sensitivity.

Yeah, i looked at the jbl, it's the same as infinity reference, and I dont like either one. Thanks for the opinion though, and advice on the re8

well since jbl and the re is out...the polk sound crisp and all but will not really give you the bass you are looking for...i would go for the L7's...everyone says they lack in sq but in a 8"really can't judge a sub for lack in sq now when you get up to 12's 15's and 18"s then we can talk about sq...but as far as power handling and output i'd go for the L7's and if you don't choose them go for the L5's..these are good subs also

L7's are out due to price, L5's are my last choice, not necessarily due to percieved quality, just dont want to have what everybody else has. And FYI, sq is not dependent on size of the sub, I had a pair of 18's that picked up every nuance and subtelty of any music you could imagine.

Loved my 4 L5 8's in 2.5cubes sealed.. sounded great-very snappy.. better than expected lows.. really like 30hz range.. took a ton of power... I ran 3k to the 4. I ported the box before I got rid of them and they posted 148.8db sealed on the dash (TL) 92 civic hb..

I realize my box for 4 was about the size you're wanting for 8... just thought I'd post up my thoughts anyway..

**I've had decent luck with a couple cheap woofers.. MA audio XE 8's and cerwin vega HED 8's....

I've got some ma's L5's posted in my f/s thread :D

ok dude whatever, do what you do!
Not starting a beef.... but I'd agree size has nothing to do with SQ..... each woofer has it's pros and cons.. proper install and design are the biggest factors..

I had and 8" L5 and it did great ported on 300watts. but when i sealed it i could hardly hear it. it was in the trunk of a car too,

Great info here... thanks. Did you seal the ported box, or build a new box for it? What cu.ft did you go with?

how bout the orphans that mike got ... there close to the rlp-8s

I had and 8" L5 and it did great ported on 300watts. but when i sealed it i could hardly hear it. it was in the trunk of a car too,

Great info here... thanks. Did you seal the ported box, or build a new box for it? What cu.ft did you go with?

I built a new box, it was a long while ago so im not sure on size, but i looked at a pic of it and it was maybe .35 cubes. ill get a pic up of it

nice box.

what about tc 8s?

Where to find any?

SPY has a pair.

also tc3k101 over on CA.com can get you them.

I have an 88 dakota single cab and I'm going to build a sealed box today for it, the biggest I can, then decide how many 8s I want to run. I'm thinking at least 4, maybe 6 depending

how bout the orphans that mike got ... there close to the rlp-8s

Close to the RL-i8. There never was an Rl-p8.

I was about to suggest the orphans, any chance you could extend the depth ?

No, I have an absolute max of 5 inches depth. One sub I hadnt considered is the AA Assassin 8, anybody know the mounting depth on it? The AA website doesnt tell

Well, it looks like I'm starting to lock in on AA Assassin 8's, I totally forgot about aa when I was looking around.

I want some Sundown E8's; either, four sealed or two in a slot-ported box.

What does this have to do with me?