hondafreek

how to reduce trunk rattling

2 kicker cvrs in my 1995 accord.....should i get a ported box or a sealed box. And does dynamat make my system louder, and reduce rattling? I just want 100% clean bass and 0 % rattling, so what do i need?

Edited by hondafreek

do ported but once you started going past a certain point every things starts rattleing and you can soundproof all you want the sad reality is that cars now-a-days are just tin cans.

if any one else have a better solution appart from moving to concrete then im all ears as well.

the "best "way to get rid of trunk rattle is to port through the rear deck or fire forward and seal the enclosure off from the trunk. Plus multiple laters of dynamat, hushmat, fatmat, whatever you choose to use.

i use fatmat, its like 130 for 100sq feet

Even cheaper...... go to Lowe's, Home Depot or any other home improvement place. See if they have any roofing waterproofing membrane, check it out to make sure it's not the granular surface, but the smooth vinyl. I bought a roll of the Grace brand stuff, 225 sq ft for $110.

EXACTLY the same as Dynamat original.

I did 4 layers on the roof and trunk of my old Ford Tempo, and 3 layers on the floor and the doors, inside panels too. The only thing I didn't do was take out the dash. It was severely deadened, as in not a single buzz anywhere. Even put two layers on the back of the license plate.

Does That Roofing Waterproof Vinyl Really Work ?

Has Anyone Tried It Besides Bigdaddy13440 ?

ive always heard of a lot of people using it, but it wont stick as well as a sound deadener in a car. the stuffs made for houses... id rather use something designed for a car.

plus i heard it smells bad

Edited by BoomBoxB

Well Down The Drain With That Idea Haha

Id Rather Get The Right Stuff

In The Long Run Id End Up Paying More Cuz The Roofing Stuff With Come Off And Plus It Would Leave A Bad Smell To Begin With

Id Rather Just Pay The Full Price The First Time Round.

Thanks For Your Help !!

no probelm thing i learned in car audio. get the good stuff first time around.

only time i would use that stuff is maybe on the firewall where theres high heat.

Edited by BoomBoxB

Thats Why I Got My BTL 15" first FI Product Ive Ever Bought

Go With The Best :)

i'm jealous you got 6k watts on 2 btl's i just don't have the space.

www.raaamaudio.com

www.secondskinaudio.com

Pay for a quality product if you want quality results. You can also use expanding foam in the spaces of your trunk lid. Be warned, this stuff works well but is MESSY. If you get it on anything you don't want it on...well...too bad. Use multiply layers of sound deadener to add mass. Adding mass will help kill the rattle.

i used 3 layers on my hatch, rear quearters, and rear doors, 2 layers on front doors and floor, soon to do roof, need another 100 sq ft. because i got a big roof and lots of flex.

i used 3 layers on my hatch, rear quearters, and rear doors, 2 layers on front doors and floor, soon to do roof, need another 100 sq ft. because i got a big roof and lots of flex.

Should have someone weld a 1/8" cross beam or two to your roof!

hey everyone thank you for the feedback...yea a friend of mine told me about Rammat so i will go with that....but does a sealed box give out cleaner bass than a ported....i mean, kickers generally want boxes tuned to 38 hz, so what would be best because i hate whangin lol

Should have someone weld a 1/8" cross beam or two to your roof!

Ill have to take a look at it when the headliners out, i can weld it up myself, but only if i need to do it... i don't want sparks showering my interior if i don't have to.

its not noisy or anything so it doesn't bug me but i might gain a little db if its more solid. :bigclap:

hey everyone thank you for the feedback...yea a friend of mine told me about Rammat so i will go with that....but does a sealed box give out cleaner bass than a ported....i mean, kickers generally want boxes tuned to 38 hz, so what would be best because i hate whangin lol

sealed boxes are the most efficient boxes, but i love the sound of a nice tuned ported box.

its all personal opinion, i had nothing but sealed boxes at first, because thats all i knew. and once i went ported i wont look back

Edited by BoomBoxB

Alot Of People I Have Talked To Have Said Different Things About Dynomat And All Those Kinds Of THings That Reduce Rattling.

Some Have Said It Reduces And Absorbs the bass so you wont have it get as loud and others have said it makes it louder and cleaner.

Which Is The Truth ?

Thanx

they (your friends) think its quieter because they dont hear the rear deck tearing in half. my personal experience with deadening is that it reduces rattles and noise which allows the music to be heard more clearly / louder.

Edited by lithium

The "dynomat" you're referring to (I think) is played on panels and such to prevent them from vibrating. It does not, by definition, absorb waves.

I have 5 layers of Dynamat on my trunk lid alone, and 3 layers of fatmat in my trunk.it did NOT stop the rattle, it quieted the rattle to a extent. but it did not eliminate it.

I'm currently in the process of re-doing my trunk, Subs facing forward, sealed off from the trunk. (i have yet to completely seal off the trunk) Trunk rattle is Almost 100% gone.

If you want it completely gone i suggest giving that a shot?

I have 5 layers of Dynamat on my trunk lid alone, and 3 layers of fatmat in my trunk.it did NOT stop the rattle, it quieted the rattle to a extent. but it did not eliminate it.

I'm currently in the process of re-doing my trunk, Subs facing forward, sealed off from the trunk. (i have yet to completely seal off the trunk) Trunk rattle is Almost 100% gone.

If you want it completely gone i suggest giving that a shot?

ha thanks for sharing just completed my build a month agao