sqjeep

ported vs sealed

I have a dual 1 ssd sub with the copper coil option in a 1.1 sealed box powered by an audioque 1200d. And im wanting more deeper bass and louder but trying to keep inline with my sq setup.

Would a sealed enclouser with more power?

Do I port the sub and keep the same power?

If i would port the box what cubes would u guys recommend? The space want to put it is 15.25H x 12D x 31.5W these numbers dont included the thickness of the wood and the double baffle. I could put it in a different place if i cant get it to fit..

And What freq would u tune the port?

Thanks for the help in advanced.

I don't know what you listen to but have a pair of them ported and I just scrapped it to go sealed. My ported was about 4 cu. ft. not including the port. I had a little over 5 cu. ft total. It's a pretty good sized box. I listen to rock and it was a little to muddy for me. It played a tone really well and rap music really well. I just built a 1.2 sealed and its going in in a week or so. We will see how I like that.

I listen to a little bit of everything but most rock and metal. I like how tight the sound is in the sealed but like i said i just wanted it to sound deeper and louder.

We listen to similar it souund like. Pantera, Atreyu, 5 finger death Punch. The ported just didn't do it for me. I would do a 311 really well but not fast, tight, bass drum. They newer metallica was junk in it.

The new metallica album was cool but it lack in bass when they recorded it or something. u have me rethinking about putting it into a ported box right now..

its a single 12

Edited by sqjeep

Your scrapping the bare minimum for a single twelve ported with those dimensions.

Im willing to go bigger. ill jus have to relocate placement of the box then. if i wouldnt port the box how could i get the bass to sound deeper and be louder?

Edited by sqjeep

if you want deeper try a larger box they reccomend up to a 1.6c it will make the lows louder and the rest about the same.

Instead of building a bigger sealed box, experiment with poly fill. Lightly stuff the box you have now.

I try the polyfill and see how that sounds. Also how much power can i safely give the sub right now it getting about 870watts?

Also dbjunior i see u have a Q ported did u ever have it sealed and if so which did u like better?

I'd try the ported box, tuned to 30 hz. It may surprise you.

I have a dual 1 ssd sub with the copper coil option in a 1.1 sealed box powered by an audioque 1200d. And im wanting more deeper bass and louder but trying to keep inline with my sq setup.

What SQ setup? So far all you have described is the sub which if the rest is done well isn't even really hardly necessary at all in an SQ setup.

What SQ setup? So far all you have described is the sub which if the rest is done well isn't even really hardly necessary at all in an SQ setup.

:bigclap:

I have the fi ssd powered by an audioque 1200d the in the front i have ES-620Z - CDT Audio EuroSport 6.5" 2-Way Component Speakers power right now by a rockford 360.2. The amp on the doors is going to be changed but waiting on zed's new line to be released and maybe even the sub amp.

I have a SSD 15" ported 3.7 cuft tuned around 30 hz and i couldnt be happier. Loud as heck and gets very low. I tried it sealed and was not happy one bit. It wasnt very loud, got pretty low. I changed it back out into the ported box the same day. I think you will be very surprised at how much more output you will get and i think you'll love it!

I have a SSD 15" ported 3.7 cuft tuned around 30 hz and i couldnt be happier. Loud as heck and gets very low. I tried it sealed and was not happy one bit. It wasnt very loud, got pretty low. I changed it back out into the ported box the same day. I think you will be very surprised at how much more output you will get and i think you'll love it!

Thanks im running the numbers through winisd to build a ported.

can i safely give this sub 1000 watts rms in a sealed and in a ported enclosure? from my understanding is that as long as i dont exceed the xmax and give the sub a non clipped signal i can give it more than its rated?? is this true???

I have the fi ssd powered by an audioque 1200d the in the front i have ES-620Z - CDT Audio EuroSport 6.5" 2-Way Component Speakers power right now by a rockford 360.2. The amp on the doors is going to be changed but waiting on zed's new line to be released and maybe even the sub amp.

Not nearly enough midbass to compete with the SSD. I'd address the front stage if you want to "keep inline with your SQ setup"

can i safely give this sub 1000 watts rms in a sealed and in a ported enclosure? from my understanding is that as long as i dont exceed the xmax and give the sub a non clipped signal i can give it more than its rated?? is this true???

How do you know that you won't reach full excursion with only 600 watts?

Not nearly enough midbass to compete with the SSD. I'd address the front stage if you want to "keep inline with your SQ setup"

They keep up with the ssd pretty well and im only giving them a hundred watts and the doors move alot of air and move ur pant legs. what would u recommended from my front stage??

How do you know that you won't reach full excursion with only 600 watts?

When running the sub in winisd in a sealed i give it 950watts and keep it under the x max and in a ported i can give 1300 watts and jus be under the xmax. Unless winisd isnt that good. but from what i hear that it is a good program that u can trust.

The rated power is the thermal power limit. The enclosure you put the sub in affects the mechanical power handling. So even though you may not reach full excursion until 1300 watts in the ported box, that will still exceed the thermal power handling and it's possible to fry the voice coil.

The rated power is the thermal power limit. The enclosure you put the sub in affects the mechanical power handling. So even though you may not reach full excursion until 1300 watts in the ported box, that will still exceed the thermal power handling and it's possible to fry the voice coil.

Ok that makes sense.

how much difference is there between the q and the ssd?

They keep up with the ssd pretty well and im only giving them a hundred watts and the doors move alot of air and move ur pant legs. what would u recommended from my front stage??

Your definition of keep up is funny and backwards as you should blend the sub to keep up with the mids not the other way around. Considering those CDT's are far from midbass machines, unless you are crossing really high, I'd expect you to use 100w or so on the SSD to dial it up to them.