adamt

My First Box built for 12" RE Audio SX

This is my first sub box. I've done some other carpentry stuff before but have always been too scared to try and build a sub box in fear it would sound like chit and be a total waste of effort.

It's 2 cubes tuned at 41hz. I'm trying to get more spl out of my sub on 500 watts to give me an edge in the basic 1 class in my local circuit. I hit 135.5db on my current setup but that may not get er done. I could have finished much sooner if I had more clamps. I'll glue the top down tonight after I find my tie down straps and do the pseudo-in law family Easter gig.

I almost forgot to add the part about my girlfriend's wisdom teeth being taken out Friday. Puffy puffy cheeks.

002dvq.jpg

005bke.jpg

006xth.jpg

008uzv.jpg

011cdt.jpg

subbox001.jpg

subbox004.jpg

subbox006.jpg

subbox008.jpg

subbox013.jpg

subbox014.jpg

003rdk.jpg

001vsw.jpg

003agy.jpg

011ira.jpg

016lsy.jpg

Edited by Turner

Got her closed up tonight. I will put the sub in there tomorrow when I get home from work and hear how it goes. I'm just going to drill two holes in the back and squeeze the 8 gauge speaker wire through the box instead of a terminal cup. This is just a temporary box meant for spl numbers so it's not getting any kind of special treatment.

018zab.jpg

019xkt.jpg

020smz.jpg

021fqf.jpg

022usm.jpg

It's done and in the car now. I know the screws are kind of jacked on the right side but it works. I had to pull the one on the top right out because it split the side piece out. I about fainted when it happened but I got some wood glue in it and clamped it up and it is fine but no screw now.

001nbu.jpg

002toioxa.jpg

004xcj.jpg

Edited by Turner

unless that is sealed to the cabin id fire it toward the back or toward the passenger side and move it in 1in increments to see if it goes up or down. its all about mic time now

I've got some really good guys to work with and they seem to be all about helping me get the best numbers I can. I have to get the trunk deadened period. That is my project for the week and I hate it.

nice box!

u could try some bolts for terminals. just afew bucks at walmart or a hardware store.

Edited by lithium

nice box!

u could try some bolts for terminals. just afew bucks at walmart or a hardware store.

That's a damn good idea. Some all thread would work really good but I don't have any 8 gauge terminals on hand to get it done but it is on the to do list now. Good lookin out.

After reconsidering for about two seconds a bolt sounds much better. So once again good lookin out :fing34:

Thats what i did with my first box.....it was the rest of the box that sucked lol :)

Box looks great! Keep it up and definitely tell us your scores!

lookin good...

im with db... you should rear fire if it's not sealed off... should be louder.. pending on mic placement side fire..

x2 on firing to the rear. when i had boxes in my trunk, it was always loudest with sub as far back as possible with port on drivers side. i always seemed to get really bad unloading and mechanical noise on the sub when firing forward.

I was kind of feeling some funkiness with the sub firing forward. I figured it would get more pressure in the cabin facing that way. I appreciate all the advice for flipping it around. I took everything out today after work and got some foam in the trunk and got a little more sound mat put up in the rear deck. I really want to bump it to see how it sounds but I had my daughter with me all day after I was done so I had to chill. I will be getting back on the lab next week sometime and will definitely play around with all the possible positions then.