davidg121

Which sub

Hey guys, kinda new to car audio, but i do still know alot of the basics...

Right now im running a jl 12" w3v3 in a sealed box, with a rockford fosgate p5002 (LINK) bridged of course.

I kinda want a little more power, which fi audio sub would you suggest (i want to try and use the same box and amp)

Edited by johnecon2001

Ported or sealed box?

Music preferences?

Type of vehicle?

wow i said enclosed in the original post lol.... i meant sealed box haha. But yeah its a sealed box, i like a wide variety of music, mostly hip hop, and older rap (none of the new chit). And its a 1998 infiniti i30 (67,000 miles haha scored it for 1700.00)

What size box do you have?

Is your goal just more output?

If you have something other than output in mind let us know and we can help you out.

Well, my brother recently purchased a jl 12w6. and it clearly blows away the w3. Now obviously theres some brotherly rivalry here haha... i really wanna give fi out a try. And i wanted something that would be able to keep up to a w6 or blow it away. But i dont want to upgrade my amp, the box isnt as much of a worry so if that needs to be replaced i can replace it...

any of the subs will easily handle 500 watts. The BTL will probably be the loudest, but you would be paying for a sub that will handle several thousand watts, kinda wasted on only 500. if you wanna keep your amp, just go with the SSD, but if you wanna upgrade ur amp to something around 1000-1500 RMS, then go with the Q or BL. the BL is designed to get loud, the Q to sound good and play low. the Q would probably be more of a direct competitor with the W6

I would honestly get the BTL.

Why? Simply put, Headroom. Probably the loudest. Someday you will want to upgrade your amp, or trade it in. This will leave your options open.

You will also know you are getting one of the most capable SPL subs out there. It will be a huge upgrade from what you have now. It will still sound pretty good too I would think also.

so between both of you, you guys would say... get the 12"btl or bl with a ported box with it? and leave my amp?

i know least about amps... so let me ask this...

if i put my amp on a btl... would it be louder then what i have right now? since its only 1/4th of what the sub can take?

If it's ported, significantly

i guess the question im leaning towards is this....

If i leave my amp and just get a ported box for my w3... how would that fair against....

if i leave my amp and get a 12"bl with a ported box?

im having a hard time wording it... but does everything revolve around the rms of the sub?

sorry for all the questions that probably seem dumb to you guys, im just trying to see what the best bump i can get...

My main want is that i want something a lot more then a w6 in a ported box (with an oooold 1990's punch 250 amp pushing it)

i definitely appreciate all of the help and time you guys are spending on me :)

Edited by davidg121

"a lot more" means output???

The w3 is not a high output sub, neither is the w6.

ok guys ive given in... Im going to buy a 12" BL, new enclosure and a new amp...

Which amp in your opinion is a perfect match for the BL. Keep in mind this wont be for competitions... just daily driving.

ok guys ive given in... Im going to buy a 12" BL, new enclosure and a new amp...

Which amp in your opinion is a perfect match for the BL. Keep in mind this wont be for competitions... just daily driving.

Saz 1500d is a good matchup.

Check dB-r Electronics For Some Refurbed Sundowns, And You And Your Brother Will Be Floored By The Sheer Output Of A BTL, I Scared A Crapload Of People Out Of My Truck With An Old 2-Slug Style BTL 15" Only On 1200 Watts RMS Tuned To 35 hz. Think About What The "New" Style Can Do. If It Was Me, I'd Get A 3000d Or 3500d And Exploit It's Full Potential, But You're On A Budget. An SAZ-1500d Or 1000d Would Be Fine For Now. I Can't Really Recommend Any Other Amps Because I Don't Run Any Other Brands, I've Heard Good And Bad About AudioQue's And I Know From Friend's Experiences And My Own That Hifonics Is Teh Sux (Eeeeew.). Anyway, Since I'm Rambling, Welcome To The World Of Fi. Happy Windshield Flex. :D

to tell you the truth crunch is not really a good amp at all.. if your budget is 200-300 look into hifonics or us amps..try ebay or sonicelectronix.com

hmm. man everyone goes against each other haha, i keep hearing people say they like crunch better than hiphonics and vice-versa...

yea man your right... it all depends on the person you know.. imo thats how i feel but everyone is different ya know...you could always go with those refurb sundowns ya know

Hmmmmm. ok now... whats ur opinion on this...... i can get the crunch for about 75.00 less than the sundown refurbed...

Crunch

Sundown

If i get the crunch, and put the 75 towards a much better box... would i get more output than if i were to get the sundown with a not as good box?

i do understand that will be all opinion :)

Edited by davidg121

I wouldn't buy a crunch or a hifonics and expect them to last or hold their value.

Sundown ftw in this case. As for your box, build it yourself and save all the money :)