suprefly

Comp sets and sound deadening

Time to upgrade! Right now i have Infinity Reference coaxials, and they were good for first speakers, but the longer i owned them, more i realized that they suck. I have 6.5s up front and 6x9s in the back. I'm not planning on buying new 6x9s cause i haven't read one post that is for buying them, or even having them for that matter. I also have a SDC2.5 12" sub and an AQ1200D amp.

i have around $200 to spend and have list of component sets that i think look good......but I've only heard the Focal set, and i was very impressed! Definitely feel free to add speakers to the list. I want SQ comps, don't really care if they get loud.....as long as they sound good!

JL Audio VR-series

http://www.woofersetc.com/p1186/VR650CSi--...s-Component.htm

Focal Access

http://www.woofersetc.com/p3372/165A1--Foc...nt-Speakers.htm

CDT EuroFit

http://www.woofersetc.com/p1099/EF61--CDT-...nt-Speakers.htm

AQG-6.5

http://www.audioque.com/aq/AQG-6_5_comp.htm

Also, would i be better off getting sound deadening first or the comps? I'm getting both, but only have money for one right now :(

used to have a set of focals b4 the Bostons I have now.... they were sexy smooth I liked them a lot. that's just my thoughts on it tho... my vote goes to the focals

Haha honestly the Focals blew me away. It was like, "Wow! So thats what the music is really supposed to sound like!" But those are the only decent quality comps i've heard.....

Haha honestly the Focals blew me away. It was like, "Wow! So thats what the music is really supposed to sound like!" But those are the only decent quality comps i've heard.....

Lol !

And, think those are the entry level speakers of Focal! But they seems to be very expensive in the USA.

I have read that th Phoenix Gold Rsd comp set sound really good for their price; try to listen to them before buying anything.

But I have never heard them. I just love my Focal KP.

I have the Infinity Refrence 6.5 comps and I know what you are saying. They are suck when I turn them up. Very harsh.

I am replacing them with a set of Boston Pro 60se. Will let you know how they sound when they get here on Monday.

I have not heard the Audioque's, or that model of Focal's, but the CDT's that I have heard recently have all been a little too bright for my tastes and lacking a little in the mid-bass. I feel the JL's and the ID's are a solid choice if you can grab them for a great price.

Well, i got the ID ctx's for 180. Tried to put them in and realized I'm going to have to do some crazy (for me) door modification to get them to fit.

Oh well! Guess i have another project on my hands :)

it's probably not too bad or that hard you can probably cut some wood rings and use them to adapt the new speaker

Yep that exactly what I'm doing :) Haha they look like crap though...but thats ok!!! No one will see them ;)

Speakers ALWAYS should be mounted to a baffle.

Deadening and installation will help more than changing drivers, in particular if you are true to your stated goals.

Very true, but i sold the speakers i had (infinitys). I wasn't planning on it, but the opportunity arose and i figured i'd be better off in the long run.

I'm not 100% sure about the right way to mount the speakers though.....any pointers or links? I'll go search....and by the way I have a 99 Civic 4dr

Never been in a civic, but as always separate the backwave, use a acoustic barriers, deaden resonances, use something to stop the rattles wherever they occur and mount it to a very rigid baffle that is as decoupled as possible from the door. If you are really going for it, spend as much time as you can aiming the drivers in as many locations as possible.

Decoupled? So i want the baffle to touch the door as little as possible?

I'd take pics but i don't have a camera handy :(

Ok...pretty sure my idea is failing, but i dunno how to fix it.....The speaker pod is in the door panel and has three places for screws to screw in and hold it to the door, and it doesn't seem like a good idea to cut those out....ugh and i don't have a stupid camera right now either :(