Sign in to follow this  
imhungnurnot

Coil Increased Resistance???

One of the voice coils on my sub no longer reads 4 ohms. I'm repairing one of my subs right now, and I decided to ohm the other subs just to see if i damaged more than that one. Well one coil is reading 6 ohms instead of 4 ohms. Leads are not broken and they do not seem to be burnt. Coil doesn't appear to be discolored. Any thoughts?

Thanks

I ohmed it again today just out of curiousity. The good side read 4 ohms, and the bad side still read 6. So I ohmed it from the leads and it read 4 ohms. Then I ohmed it again from the terminal and it read 4 ohms like it's suppose to. So idk what the hell happened because i ohmed it plenty times to make sure i had a good connection.

if the leads and terminals read 4 ohm check the wire see if there is corrosion on the ends or anything that might cause more resistance the speaker wire should only read .1-.2 ohms any more and id replace the wire.

if the leads and terminals read 4 ohm check the wire see if there is corrosion on the ends or anything that might cause more resistance the speaker wire should only read .1-.2 ohms any more and id replace the wire.

I understand what you are saying. But it read 6 at the terminal, but 4 at the lead. When i ohmed it the next day at the terminal it read 4 ohms. I was thinking it could be the leads for the meter or the meter itself, but my other 8 coils read 4 ohms on the same meter.

Idk what the hell happened, but im gonna throw all four back in the truck once I repair my leads on the broken one and play it till I blow another.

I have an RE SX 12 that i bought for 20 bucks cause the leads were burnt/broken, which I fixed with the wrong gauge leads because it was all i had. It's actually in the truck right now and plays fine. I'm considering reconing it to a SX/BL hybrid or just buying the 2009 BL 12 and run a single 12 instead of four X's. I don't know what i want to do.

I take it you're measuring DC resistance? And what sub do you have? If it's a 4 ohm voice coil it's not supposed to read 4 ohms on the meter. It should read like 3.2.

I take it you're measuring DC resistance? And what sub do you have? If it's a 4 ohm voice coil it's not supposed to read 4 ohms on the meter. It should read like 3.2.

I'm dealing with a D4 Fi X 12. The coil is supposed to read 3.9, but for simplicity, I say 4. It was reading between 5.6 and 6.2 so idk what happened but it started reading 4.2 so thats close enough for me. Why it would do something so strange? NO IDEA!

You probably got the terminal hot and got some solder down around the basket or melted it in the midst of your tinsel repair thing...

Did you zero your meter out to be sure?

You probably got the terminal hot and got some solder down around the basket or melted it in the midst of your tinsel repair thing...

Did you zero your meter out to be sure?

The previous repair was not on this sub. I didn't "zero" the meter, but i touched the leads of the meter together and it read 0 ohms. Its a fluke meter and it was given to me by my uncle. I don't have the manual; therfore, i don't know how to zero it out. In fact, i didn't even know that it could be zeroed, but i know what you are getting at. Besides the other coil ohmed out to 3.9 so its not the meter. If i burn it up, i burn it up. Its 45 bucks for a recone. It's repairable, but at the moment preventative maintenance isn't worth it because it probably could use a recone as is.

Thanks for all of y'all's input.