Sign in to follow this  
rumproast789

Suggestions For A New Headunit?

Alright well earlier this year my headunit crapped out (stock ford explorer 2002 xlt) and wouldn't pull the cd in, the things that pull and eject the cd don't work. Then randomly it started working, and after getting my car repaired it stopped. So now my Bday is on sunday, and I figure I might as well get a new headunit.

I'm looking for a decent, affordable headunit. Near the 150$ dollar range I guess. More or less, Idk how much to be exact and I know I can't get that good of a headunit for that price but it should be better than nothing.

I'm looking for subwoofer rca output, preferably 4v preout or higher (idk, maybe 2v won't be that bad?), iPod Touch (1st gen) hookup and so I can play it through the headunit, and thats about it? Something fairly easy to use.

a Double din will fit my explorer, but I don't mind with single din or double.

Help me out guys!

Look at some of the 2008 model pioneer around the net. I had a deh3900 and it had all the things u want. Oh that was 2007 series but im sure the deh4000 would be better if not the same.

panasonics are usually fairly cheap and are good. i love the 5v preouts that oanasonics usually have.

Pioneer 5000ub. Got mine for less than $200 with wires & everything off Crutchfield.com

Find a used Alpine 9886 if you can..

I got mine for about 200$ shipped Brand new..

I got my PRS880 for about that much. If you shop used, you can get more bang for your buck.

panasonics are usually fairly cheap and are good. i love the 5v preouts that oanasonics usually have.

What do you like about the 5v preouts?

Clarion DXZ785USB, straight usb hook up for the ipod, works great! (they offer an adapter thing but u dont need it, the usb that comes with works fine, charges the ipod and everything...)

also has Active processing capabilities if your interested in that kinda thing down the road.

i paid 200 for it.... 140$ is a steal IMO!

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_11771_...+DXZ785USB.html

edit: that adapter made me wonder so i checked the site, there no need for the adapter for this unit, must be a typo on sonicelectronix...

Edited by lithium

thanks everyone for the suggestions! I really like the 9886 but it won't work with my iPod touch.

I am most likely going to ask for the alpine cde-102 with an ipod cable but it only has 2v preouts. I figure it can't be too bad.

would 2v be sufficient? or would 6v on that clarion be that much of a difference

thanks everyone for the suggestions! I really like the 9886 but it won't work with my iPod touch.

I am most likely going to ask for the alpine cde-102 with an ipod cable but it only has 2v preouts. I figure it can't be too bad.

would 2v be sufficient? or would 6v on that clarion be that much of a difference

i have a 9886 and i use my itouch with it... works fine? love the HU and ipod

I snagged up a Panasonic CQ-VD7003U for only $150. ;)

Shop used for certain things IMO, but new for others.

oh I didn't know that doctor Q, i read somewhere that it doesn't work.

Alright the 9886 is nice but I need this sooner than later I guess because I can't stand not having music and it only needs to be something decent.

Should I get the 9884 with the ipod cable, or the cde 102 with the ipod cable. It's cheaper for the 9884 and seems better?

Clarion DXZ785USB, straight usb hook up for the ipod, works great! (they offer an adapter thing but u dont need it, the usb that comes with works fine, charges the ipod and everything...)

also has Active processing capabilities if your interested in that kinda thing down the road.

i paid 200 for it.... 140$ is a steal IMO!

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_11771_...+DXZ785USB.html

edit: that adapter made me wonder so i checked the site, there no need for the adapter for this unit, must be a typo on sonicelectronix...

I got this for like $130 or around there at sonic electronix.

This headunit is easy to use and its very nice.

ANd you don't need all these fancy adapters and cables for quick start-up use. It has a usb adapter built into it.

Edited by Dutchie.

I think I have it narrowed down.

I just don't know which ones better / more worth it, it seems like the 9884 is the better choice than the cde-102 and seems like they both will work with my ipod touch.

Ive heard some things that it will be just better to work with the ipod cable on some headuntis, IDK, I'd rather be safe than sorry personally.