AKMH

Blown sub

I got a Memphis M3 10 (2008) and its def. blown but it still barely vibrates and makes the faintest bass when I turn it up. What does that mean? I already ordered a recone so I was just wondering if it would be possible to fix? The coil looks fine and both terminals still have the correct resistance. Tinsel looked okay but I didnt really look that good due to it being a bulky 10 so its hard to see anything. Anybody know what it might be and how to fix it?

Well if it was blown, the resistance would be off I believe. What are you powering it with?

Well if it was blown, the resistance would be off I believe. What are you powering it with?

Well when it blew I was feeding it 1250 rms off a Cadence DCA 2500. Each was getting that but only one went. Any body else notice that Lovelock Down kills equipment? Iv had that song kill 1 amp and one sub. Anyways I think I'm going to cut out the guts of this blown cone.

incorrect settings will damage a product, not a song.

I can generate a purely clipped signal on purpose and feed it to my setup. I can GUARANTEE it will not damage it because i took the time to ensure that everything was scoped properly. 3 amps, approximately 4 hrs of tuning, no more tuning ever again unless i change somethin...

incorrect settings will damage a product, not a song.

I can generate a purely clipped signal on purpose and feed it to my setup. I can GUARANTEE it will not damage it because i took the time to ensure that everything was scoped properly. 3 amps, approximately 4 hrs of tuning, no more tuning ever again unless i change somethin...

Well I had my settings correct for what music a normally listen to (metal) But when you turn on Kanye's new album (pretty sure they f'ed up the mastering) But turn it on when I have the other settings at the same volume. I realize that clipped signals dont blow speakers :) Could we stay on the subject of my blown sub and why its not working please and not on a contest to see who thinks they know more...

Apparently, you need to know this because once your sub gets fixed, the same thing is gonna happen again and from what you just said... i know it will.

Just tryin to save you from making the same topic again a couple months from now.

Clipped signals dont damage speakers? hmm... That's a touchy way of saying. Clipping alone may not damage a sub but clipping is usually a direct result of speaker damage, :)

If the thing Omhs out and it still moves freely with no scratching or rough spots then I dont think the sub is bown. If you are still hearing bass them their is a complete circuit in through the coil. only thing I cold think of is if something crazy happened like the magnent cracked in half but if that was the case you would not be ordering a recone so im guna say no... I am proly wrong if I am someone help me here

If the thing Omhs out and it still moves freely with no scratching or rough spots then I dont think the sub is bown. If you are still hearing bass them their is a complete circuit in through the coil. only thing I cold think of is if something crazy happened like the magnent cracked in half but if that was the case you would not be ordering a recone so im guna say no... I am proly wrong if I am someone help me here

Thanks for answering the question lol unlike some other people (shizzzon) Well I dont know I tried the one that is working and another working 10 on the same wires even though I knew my wires were fine.

You are feeding a 400 watts rated sub a clipped 1250 watts? I'm not surprised you blew it.

You are feeding a 400 watts rated sub a clipped 1250 watts? I'm not surprised you blew it.

You have to stay on topic now, what are you DoInG?!?!

You can't trail off topic and try to help him or else you'll be asked to stop helping him forever....

You can't trail off topic and try to help him or else you'll be asked to stop helping him forever....

F**k you dude. Your just sour cause I told you off.

F**k you dude. Your just sour cause I told you off.

Relax. He was helping you by suggesting your settings must be off. Namely your gain.

id check the tinsel leads

did they looked fine. dont matter i got the recone kit and now it works so it must of been blown..

Your an asshole.

Shizzzon and LOTS of other people here are just trying to help you.

I am guessing you tested the amp. It is possible for you to have over driven the subs design and pulled the tinsel lead as it has been said. Shizzon is sooo right though. If you set your sytem right, No Music will hurt your sub. So to set your gains what did you do? If you set your gains proper you will accomadate the speaker or speakers you are using them on. It is feasible to overpower in some instances but not by a huge amount and in your case around 800 watts to a 400 is just nutz. I am running two HPO 10's rated at 250 watts per driver and using an 1100 watt MCD-1000 and set the voltage with a tone cd (set with 50hz and checked 30 to 80 hz). I have it running 33 volts and at 1 ohm thats 33*33=1089 watts. Way over and still no failure in 6 years. I will say I beat the ever living s*** out of them and often. I also know that this amp distorts a bit more than the higher quality amps. Distortion equal destroyer in car audio. If you don't have a tone cd get one or have someone who does loan or setup for you. You can't go wrong when you do things right the first time. If it fails then, you have bad parts. That can and does happen.