bedbreath

~The Right Sub~

Alright I'm new to the game of car audio, but currently my car audio system.... sucks, unable to hold any of the music I listen to at the loudness I want...expected of course but a new system is needed, and i plan to do the whole system from start to finish

I chosen a receiver that seems to suit my needs already and plan to purchase it soon, but I am completely unsure of the subwoofer I want, I listen to rock, and A LOT of electronic (house, dance, etc) and that means I want my bass to hit hard but at the same time it needs to be fast and keep up with the fast past music i listen to. However I only want it to hit hard due to the style of music I listen to, but also prefer pretty decent SQ, I do not need not need to be blown away by dBs but simply want a more in between SQ - SPL leaning more towards SPL. This will be for a 1999 Mazda Protege with a soon to be installed pioneer deh-7000bt receiver. I also need it to be somewhat mainstream, because I am planning to purchase it off ebay it can't be a custom deal. I'm willing to spend up to $150-200 on it through ebay meaning the retail price should be around $500. I have been researching subs for hours already, and really had no leads to finding the right sub, whenever I found something I like I found something wrong with it, so help would be very much appreciated. Simply where to look, suggested brands or just articles I should read first are fine, but an exact model would be great.

Thanks for reading hope for some good suggestions =)

Oh and if there any more info you want I'd be glad to share.

Edited by bedbreath

Have you looked into the Mach5 IXL Subs? There is a few reviews on the Mach5 forum. And there mostly for SQ.

Why does it HAVE to be bought off of eGay?

Indeed you might end up paying more for something that is functionally worth less.

off eBay because I am a high school student with very limited cash and wanting to do a whole system, I need cheapest possible prices =S and I know the risks, but am willing to take them

any ideas and the specs I should be paying attention to for my preferences and a good target accordingly?

and thanks for the suggestion taking a look at the machs right now

off eBay because I am a high school student with very limited cash and wanting to do a whole system, I need cheapest possible prices =S and I know the risks, but am willing to take them

any ideas and the specs I should be paying attention to for my preferences and a good target accordingly?

im a highschool student and id rather just save.. its better in the long run

The most expensive parts per util you buy are the ones that you don't use...

how much power you gonna use? i have an AA atlas 15 im trying to sell. great sq sub an will get decently loud in the right install. its svc4 an will handle 300-500wrms.

If you can buy off of ebay you can buy off of ficaraudio.com You could get one fi q 15 for $270. Seriously what can you get on ebay that is so much better then that?

try being a broke college student lol. wht are you looking for? you can try criaglist also. i got my kicker 1000.1 amp from there.

I would go with fi products, they are all high quality and built to last.

www.ficaraudio.com

SSA Icon. You might be able to pick up a used one for $200.

If you can find one, it would be sweet.

ya i like the fi's a lot and they arent that expensive, so its a possiblity...

As for mainstream product, what do you guys think of the jl w3v3's? i know they are more sq but thats fine

The w3 doesn't make any sense to me. The w6 is one of my favorite woofers, but no reason for the w3 at it's price point.

i have a 12 inch w3v3 right now... Dont expect a lot of it. In order to get the sound that it seems like your looking for, your really gonna have to push it hard.

Edited by davidg121

well the choices are if i were to go with jl is dual 3v3's or a single 6v2, I thought going with 2 3v3's would be a better option or is that just an amateur mistake on my part?

or maybe just a single fi bl12, I'm unsure on what to choose but all these options will fit in my budget

Edited by bedbreath

The w6 and the Fi BL have NOTHING in common, completely different purposes.

Right now ive finally decided to upgrade from my 12" w3v3, to two 12" Lethal Injections made by incriminator audio. Have you looked into these?

Edited by davidg121

well which will serve the purpose the best, and what is the specific purpose of each, sorry if its fustrating lol but as you can see im a complete noob at car audio

and im lookin at the injections right now

Edited by bedbreath

as far as your budget goes id look at 12in incriminator audio lethal injection, 12in mach 5 ixl, 12in ssa dcon, 12in fi ssd, 12in dc audio lvl3. as far as your goes id look more toward the mach5 ixl and the dc lvl3. the ixl is nice because its not a flashy looking sub so nobody will exspect it to be as good as it is, if you want a little flashier looking sub the lvl3 is the one to get. depending on your budget for amp may also help with choice.

well than its between a fi (which ever is most recommended) and a mach5 ixl, which should I go with, and what specs should I look for/add 12" ... 18"? or dual 10s? which configuration do you suggest that remains affordable

Edited by bedbreath